Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates upgrades as new flier?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Emirates upgrades as new flier?

Brand-new FT user, pardon my ignorance. I'm set to take first 2 Emirates flights in 1.5 weeks. I'm Continental Platinum, travel internationally lots, and always use miles to upgrade to BizFirst on Cont. As of this week Cont has ended its partnership with Emirates, so no luck upgrading upcoming Emirates flights with miles. I've seen the posts about special upgrade offers - looks like those come in the last 24-48 hrs prior to the flight if spave avail. Are there any other options for trying to upgrade further in advance of my flights? I'm willing to pay, but (hopefully) not a fortune. Also just joined Skywards and have asked for status match. Thanks much for any advice you can offer.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Welcome to FT jjarski!

EK flights can only be upgraded with EK miles, CO partnership or not.

An easy way to do this is to purchase miles ($625 for 25,000), but you need to already have some miles in your account to do this.

If you know someone who can cover you for this trip, you can repay them later.

Don't have any expectations for the email offers. They are rare and unpredictable.

You haven't mentioned where you're flying to/ from. The best advice I can give, is try getting on a 380 and grabbing 68/ 81 A/K. They're economy seats, but very good ones.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
One of the reasons the partnership ending was complaints from Ek elites (myself included) that CO/UA elites were crowding out EK elites (ive posted on this elsewhere) for awards and upgrades You may see a discussion on another site -- about Mile s and Point s where a US based dentist posts on always travelling business on holiday just by chargin all his dental equipment on some CC linked to a US airline FFP. AA even gives status to such people!
Old Mar 26, 2011, 2:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by rathin100
One of the reasons the partnership ending was complaints from Ek elites (myself included) that CO/UA elites were crowding out EK elites (ive posted on this elsewhere) for awards and upgrades You may see a discussion on another site -- about Mile s and Point s where a US based dentist posts on always travelling business on holiday just by chargin all his dental equipment on some CC linked to a US airline FFP. AA even gives status to such people!
That's what lots of people do. What's the point of having a FF credit card if it doesn't get you points?

I doubt very much the reason for the ending of the CO/UA partnership was anything to do with Elite upgrades.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ung1
Welcome to FT jjarski!

EK flights can only be upgraded with EK miles, CO partnership or not.

An easy way to do this is to purchase miles ($625 for 25,000), but you need to already have some miles in your account to do this.

If you know someone who can cover you for this trip, you can repay them later.

Don't have any expectations for the email offers. They are rare and unpredictable.

You haven't mentioned where you're flying to/ from. The best advice I can give, is try getting on a 380 and grabbing 68/ 81 A/K. They're economy seats, but very good ones.

Thanks for the info. My segments are HAM-DXB (EK060) Apr 9 and DXB-IAH (EK211) Apr 15, both 777s per Emirates website. I will pursue the mileage purchase option and have transfered Starwood points to my new Skywards account to get initial miles in there.

If unable to upgrade, are there recommended seats on the 777s? And will Emirates allow elites to choose better seats (exit, bulkhead) ahead of check-in like other airline elite programs? I'd need the requested status match to do that, I guess. I'm 6'4" tall so really need the extra space if sitting in Y.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That's what lots of people do. What's the point of having a FF credit card if it doesn't get you points?

I doubt very much the reason for the ending of the CO/UA partnership was anything to do with Elite upgrades.

Cheers,
Rick
rick

I did inquire and although the rupture was because of far more important reasons this argument did come into the picture, apparently. I got this from an aviation journalist so not verifieed.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by jjarski
Thanks for the info. My segments are HAM-DXB (EK060) Apr 9 and DXB-IAH (EK211) Apr 15, both 777s per Emirates website. I will pursue the mileage purchase option and have transfered Starwood points to my new Skywards account to get initial miles in there.

If unable to upgrade, are there recommended seats on the 777s? And will Emirates allow elites to choose better seats (exit, bulkhead) ahead of check-in like other airline elite programs? I'd need the requested status match to do that, I guess. I'm 6'4" tall so really need the extra space if sitting in Y.
Hamburg to Houston is not a published route. How did you purchase tickets for this at a reasonable price if you don't mind me asking?

Early check in is the best time to get exit row seats, irrespective of status. They are not allocated before that as far as I can tell. If you "need" the extra space then think about J.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
Hamburg to Houston is not a published route. How did you purchase tickets for this at a reasonable price if you don't mind me asking?

Early check in is the best time to get exit row seats, irrespective of status. They are not allocated before that as far as I can tell. If you "need" the extra space then think about J.
Purchased the 2 segments as separate one-ways and was pleased with the price (HAM-DXB 600 Euro, DXB-IAH $1,200). Tried bundling them as multi-destination but it priced much higher. Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jjarski
Purchased the 2 segments as separate one-ways and was pleased with the price (HAM-DXB 600 Euro, DXB-IAH $1,200). Tried bundling them as multi-destination but it priced much higher. Thanks for the info.
Are you sure? A return HAM-DXB-HAM is EUR 370!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.