Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK201(A380) diverts to MUC?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: GHA Gold Priority Club Gold,Etihad Guest,EK Skywards,BA exec and QR privilege
EK201(A380) diverts to MUC?

Hi,
read on another forum,confirmed on EK website,EK201 diverted to MUC and still there.Anyone know why?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:19 am

On the check status website it shows a 1hr diverison to MUC.
Re-scheduled to arrive JFK almost 1.5 hour late.
I'd guess a medical related emergency.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: GHA Gold Priority Club Gold,Etihad Guest,EK Skywards,BA exec and QR privilege
Indeed it seems like it is a medical emergency.I guess the more pax you carry the more likely it is to happen?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: SkyWards Ex Silver & BA
More info here Incident: Emirates A380, Munich, medical emergency
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=2061841

It's rumored that a child passenger became unconscious during flight and was airlifted by Bavarian police helicopter to hospital. A6-EDA left MUC around 4:10 pm to continue to JFK.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:19 pm

I think it's a multi criteria formula.
Passenger specific: existing medical conditions, jetlag (from previous flights), illness induced during travel commencing prior to taking the flight, cabin choice (Y/J/F) etc.
Flight specific: duration, altitude (related to how much a cabin is pressurised) route taken, delay at departure, inflight service etc
Plane/airline specific: cabin settings (temperature, oxygen levels, seat arrangements)
Other factors?!

This would make an interesting research topic for a journal article, given there is a wealth of historical data on the matter.

I know what you're thinking, Nerdie Nerd Nerd! but hey, that's what you get when you're half way through a PhD

Last edited by edy4eva; Aug 10, 2008 at 1:28 pm
Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:27 pm

As for fuel dumping, it would be interesting to know how much loss did this flight incure on EK?

Not being senseless or anything towards the ill passenger/baby, but this must have burnt a big hole in EK's pocket (after you hear an EK A380 pilot bragging about the 1% measured performance improvement over the proposed design).

During the first operational year of the A380 in EK's fleet, how many diversions like these can EK afford/factor into their risk/loss sheet? Given the importance of 1% operational performance on a 500-tonner, I'd say not many diversions.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:02 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Here are a few pics of the plane during fuel dumping:

http://lotnictwo.net.pl/viewtopic.ph...=asc&start=100
Old Aug 11, 2008, 3:44 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by ngfan
It's rumored that a child passenger became unconscious during flight and was airlifted by Bavarian police helicopter to hospital. A6-EDA left MUC around 4:10 pm to continue to JFK.
Munich newspapers are writing that a girl got sick about 1 hour after leaving DXB and got unconscious later on. The plane was diverted into MUC due to the existing infrastructure to handle a A380. The little patient was then airlifted to a hospital in Munich.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by edy4eva
As for fuel dumping, it would be interesting to know how much loss did this flight incure on EK?

Not being senseless or anything towards the ill passenger/baby, but this must have burnt a big hole in EK's pocket (after you hear an EK A380 pilot bragging about the 1% measured performance improvement over the proposed design).

During the first operational year of the A380 in EK's fleet, how many diversions like these can EK afford/factor into their risk/loss sheet? Given the importance of 1% operational performance on a 500-tonner, I'd say not many diversions.
At least MUC has waived the landing fee: http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/...571366,00.html

I suppose the little girl's travel insurance is in for a hefty contribution.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:24 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
According to a MUC newspaper did the girl die. It had a stomach bug and dehydrated on board. During the flight to the hospital in the helicopter, the girl's heart stopped to beat for the first time.

The kid was American citizen, Pakistani origin.

Pretty sad for the family.

All the posted pictures are amazing. The financial standpoint on that is indeed quite interesting. The airport already said that this costs them a 5 digit Euro amount but they will not charge it to anybody as the loss for the family is big enough already.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: LH FTL (*S), AA, Sixt Plat, bahn.comfort
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
It had a stomach bug and dehydrated on board.
If the newspaper is correct, the was no drip onboard. That would be outrageous, as an intravenous drip should be minimum standard on each commercial aircraft.

I helped at several medical emergencies on LH flights, and all had intravenous drip and much more onboard!
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:16 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by bau31888
If the newspaper is correct, the was no drip onboard. That would be outrageous, as an intravenous drip should be minimum standard on each commercial aircraft.

I helped at several medical emergencies on LH flights, and all had intravenous drip and much more onboard!
LH is not necessarily industry standard in these terms. They are - AFAIK - well above the standard. They even have some kind of emergency "call center" for medical emergencies on board of their airplanes, helping to diagnose and trying to give as much assistance as possible (but that is now off-topic).
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:56 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver, Egyptair Plus Gold/*A Gold
What's fuel dumping got to do with the death of a girl? Are the two events related, and if so, is EK responsible in any way for the events?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:29 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by directorguy_
What's fuel dumping got to do with the death of a girl? Are the two events related, and if so, is EK responsible in any way for the events?
It's got nothing to do with the death of the girl. They were only over southern Europe, so still carrying a lot of fuel. They had to dump some of that fuel in order to get the plane down to MLW, so that the poor girl could receive medical assistance on the ground.

Can't see why EK would be responsible. My guess is a family holiday in Pakistan, and the substandard medical facilities prevailing in that country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.