Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Tipping Emirates limo pickup driver ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:05 am
Original Poster

I will be picked up by Emirates Air for a complimentary ride to and from JFK for my Emirates flight. First and business class get this perk.

What is the tipping etiquitte for the driver of complimentary limo service ?
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Oceanbound222
I will be picked up by Emirates Air for a complimentary ride to and from JFK for my Emirates flight. First and business class get this perk.

What is the tipping etiquitte for the driver of complimentary limo service ?

This isn't the USA.

No tipping required. A polite "Thank you" will do.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Guy,

No, I am talking about when the Emirates driver picks me up in Manhattan and takes me to JFK. What is the tipping policy for a complimentary lift to the airport.

Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oceanbound222
Guy,

No, I am talking about when the Emirates driver picks me up in Manhattan and takes me to JFK. What is the tipping policy for a complimentary lift to the airport.

Thanks
Oh sorry.. then in this case, then what a normal fare between your place and JFk is .. and then I suppose 15-20% as per usual procedure.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
But perhaps EK have struck a deal with the limo company that includes the gratuity???

After all, they're (EK) the ones who are providing the service - to me it seems a bit like buying a friend dinner but then expecting them to stump up for the tip.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Swiss Tony,

Good point !!!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Also, if you add that to the fact that probably more than 50% of the pax using this service aren't Americans then it makes even more sense for the limo company to have worked out a gratuity-inclusive deal for the drivers...
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:11 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Well, if you think about it, there are three options:

First

You could call the Emirates office in New York and ask them (or wherever you booked your ticket) if tip is included. Or ask them the name of the service company and then ask them.

Second

You could part with $10 (x2) to tip your driver.

Third

You do nothing. No tip, no sweat.

Although this is unsolicited, if you were to ask me what I would recommend, I would call Emirates, see if their tip is included. If it is, I would tell the driver upon pick up that you were told his tip was included and that you are carrying no cash on you (even if it is a fib). If their tip isn't included, I would part with $20 ($10x2, there and back) and chalk it up to being one of those who appreciates others serving him.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used the services of Virgin's complimentary limousince upon arrival at JFK once.

Driver was not even half as nice or courteous as the British limousine driver (to which I gave him 5 quid and he seemed pleasantly surprised and thanked profusely).

I only had a short transfer from JFK to LGA! I felt obligated to tip after all I was in USA. And handed the driver a $10. He didn't even bother to say thanks.

Was he expecting more?
Old Oct 16, 2005, 1:33 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
EK uses Boston Coach. I just arranged a complimentary pickup for a friend in NY to JFK. Total last minute (like 5 hours before the flight). EK did it, but they said you're supposed to give them 24+ hours notice. I couldn't swing the free dinner at the Ritz deal. They were pretty adamant about needing 48-72 hours notice for that offer.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Diam
Just used the limo service a couple of days ago from LHR to Exeter (~ 3 hr ride). I was pondering over the same tipping question. My driver was very nice and had no problem with the long drive. I gave him ten pounds (mostly because I didn't have a five pound note on me). Seeing as it cost me twenty-one pounds to take the National Express bus back to LHR today, the tip was not really that big a deal. I also think he appreciated it very much.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 6:39 am

I have pondered this question.
In oz I usually just give $5
where as in UK I give 5 pound.

in DXB from airport to hotel

what do I give?
I have no idea as I am not aware of the custom.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:48 am

Programs: CX DM, Marriott Plat, SPG lifetime, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Chairman's Club
$5 in Manahttan would be more than enough for the JFK-LGA transfer wouldn't it? 10$ sounds a bit too much.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Just because something is paid for on your behalf doesn't mean you shouldn't tip.

Example: If a friend of mine is the executive chef at a restaurant, and he buys me a round of drinks, I should still tip the waiter the normal tip for these drinks as the waiter still went from Point A - B with them and would have earned that money if I were paying.

The Boston Coach driver picking you up would normally be carrying someone that called for a car, so he would be tipped.

I would play it safe and tip. Afterall, you are getting a free limo ride, so you are ahead of the game anyway.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:45 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by DillMan
I would play it safe and tip. Afterall, you are getting a free limo ride, so you are ahead of the game anyway.
Only if you are in the U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.