Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

How many miles and what do you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Silver

What do you do with your miles and how many do you consider a lot?
There must be members on here in the million plus club.

To get the ball rolling I'm sat on close to 300k and haven't the faintest how to spend them without getting hit by tax (UK based)
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SimonLHR
...To get the ball rolling I'm sat on close to 300k and haven't the faintest how to spend them without getting hit by tax (UK based)
Taxes are the same for all flights on the same route/class for all airlines.
Surcharges on award flights can trigger additional taxes if the flight changes from non-revenue to revenue
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Never had more than 70k at a time, spend them on upgrades as I fly Y. Every 10 flights get me one upgrade or so.. not a lot of earnings
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:10 am

I'm on about 185k (soon to be plus 200k), wife is on similar.

We use them all on J to F or more rarely on Y to J.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Taxes are
Surcharges on award flights can trigger additional taxes if the flight changes from non-revenue to revenue
I would guess from his forum name the OP is from the UK. In that case, tax does come in to the question as upgrades from Y to J get hit with it.

OP. Spend them on upgrades when you can, even if ex UK. They'll just be devalued soon.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:59 am

Is there a special prize for lowest frequent flyer miles on FT?

Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by murtaza12
Is there a special prize for lowest frequent flyer miles on FT?

I was down to 2k in April, it's a rollercoaster ride, at snail's pace in the way up though
murtaza12 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:02 am

A lot is when you have enough miles to upgrade a total stranger and not bad an eyelid, as I once saw in the BKK lounge!

I'm fast approaching 5 figures - but best never to let the balances stay high because of inevitable devaluation.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
A lot is when you have enough miles to upgrade a total stranger and not bad an eyelid, as I once saw in the BKK lounge!

I'm fast approaching 5 figures - but best never to let the balances stay high because of inevitable devaluation.
You can't upgrade much with 5 figures!
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by m3red
You can't upgrade much with 5 figures!
I will have to use cold hard cash! there's always the emergency stash of amex points...
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
It cost me 35k to upgrade from Economy to Business BHX/MCT and MrsSS spent 85k on a J ticket .Both return.
SS
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
I burn as soon as I have enough to upgrade my typical long trip NBO > IAD which is around 78k. Doing both segments is a good deal so I wait until I can get both. Have had really good award availability on these segments. I think I'm at about 20k right now.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Goes in circles for me and assume same with others , somedays i am rolling in Skywards miles and then somedays i am Skywards broke. I do find it hard to resist those upgrades with Skywards miles if i am given the opportunity ! I reckon the highest i have hit was 300 000 around there, then lowest then 0

27k right now , my son has more then me currently
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:54 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I recently booked AMS-DXB-AMS in F for 135K. Most points are from the UK Skywards Amex.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:43 am

Great awards for football fans

I had a message a few weeks ago that around 10k of my points were about to expire. I did not have the faintest idea what to do with them until I saw the sport and cultural events section of Skywards rewards. There are some seriously good offers here. I booked for just 20k Skyward points two Emirates club hospitality tickets to Paris St Germain (PSG) v Bordeaux next weekend. The tickets arrived yesterday and they are Club Elite tickets. Looking at PSG ticket web site they are the top tier of the hospitality tickets at PSG and for the 19 home games the annual cost for entry is over 12,000 Euros so around 630 Euros a match.
There are similarly good offers for AC Milan but the points for Arsenal tickets are considerable more - even standard stand tickets are generally more than the more Club Elite tickets for PSG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.