Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Double Tier Miles - Offer not Understood

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double Tier Miles - Offer not Understood

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Angry Double Tier Miles - Offer not Understood

Hi All,

I have a question, maybe someone can help me. I currently do have 12,500 Tier Miles and after having been Gold for 4 years, I was sad when my travel plans this year were to routes which are not offered from Sydney by Emirates and I would lose my gold status.

Last week, I received an email stating that I would receive double tier miles if I fly before mid october. I opted in for that and was told that once I have clicked this, I need to book a flight and my tier miles were doubled.

I then booked a flight (via phone) from Tokyo (HND) to Munich (MUC) in Economy Flex Plus and from Munich to Tokyo (NRT) in Business Flex. Based on the advise on the phone and on the miles calculator, I would receive:
- NHD - MUC: 7,000 Tier miles x 2
- MUC - NRT: 12,250 Tier milex x 2

Based on this I booked my flight (I'm in Tokyo anyways and thought I quickly fly to Europe). I would have otherwise not taken this flight. THought i can meet family and combine this with renewing my status.

Now it shows in my system that I would only receive 31,500 miles (not 38,500). I don't understand this (neither did the customer service person on the phone who said I should just fly and it will be credited accordingly).

Here is what I received as explanation from Emirates:

I wish to confirm that you would earn Miles as per below for your future booking H4GRD6:

Skywards Miles Tier Miles
Tokyo to Munich 7,000 7,000
(Flex Plus Economy Class)
Multiple Choice Offer 7,000
Gold Tier Bonus 3,500
Munich to Tokya 5,250 5,250
(Flex Business Class)
Multiple Choice Offer 5,250
Business Class Bonus 7,000 7,000
Gold Tier Bonus 3,500
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total 26,250 31,500

You earn the Double Tier Bonus Miles on the base Miles and not on the base plus business class Tier Miles.

Does that make sense to anyone? The miles calculator does not show that the tier miles are split into business class bonus & normal tier miles. Nor did the person over the phone know. To cancel this flight, I have to pay over $300 and Emirates does not seem to care that I booked my flight based on wrong beliefs & staff advice.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

Armin
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is correct that the 100% bonus applies only to the base tier miles
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:00 am
Original Poster

I am getting it now. It does show how many tier miles you get and it does say that you get double tier miles. But the miles calculator does not show that tier miles are split and that you therefore get only double of part of that.

Also, I was advised wrongly by 2 separate people over the phone who both did not know that either. I was just told I should lodge another complaint.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by tusho
I am getting it now. It does show how many tier miles you get and it does say that you get double tier miles. But the miles calculator does not show that tier miles are split and that you therefore get only double of part of that.

Also, I was advised wrongly by 2 separate people over the phone who both did not know that either. I was just told I should lodge another complaint.
Unfortunately the offer terms and conditions are explicit. The issue has been discussed on here before.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Sorry I did not research thoroughly. I did find this in the T&Cs now, however I was advised wrongly over the phone. TWICE. Once confirming I will get 38,500 miles before booking and the second time I would receive them after flying and if not I should email skywards. Staff should know these policies.

Anyways, sorry for ranting here - this should be taken up with the Emirates complaint centre. But I still believe that the way the miles calculator is structured (not showing which part is 'base miles') together with that bonus offer email is not intuitive and misleading (even though there is fine print, I still cannot find out what base miles are based on the calculator).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Update

Alright, I called another time this morning to find out whether I receive more base tier miles in case I change from flex to flex plus.

The representative confirmed that I earn 12250 base tier miles on flex and a little over 13k for flex plus. He clearly also did not know the difference. I had to explain to him how it works (after now having understood). After a bit of digging he confirmed that the base miles are different from bonus tier and bonus normal skywards and bonus skywards miles.

You see? I am not only complaining about this being not easlily visible but also that this is the third staff who advised me wrong.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I doubt you'll find anyone here that disagrees with you regarding the confusion; it's confusing and arguably deceiving.

Nonetheless, it's come up several times here and is not going to change. We're lucky to be getting anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.