Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK's understanding of digital age

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

EK's understanding of digital age

So I want to log onto internet on board, as usual, and guess what: where the whole world is moving towards implementing free WiFi (hotels, restaurants, cafes, anybody), Emirates is hiking up its WiFi pricing by 1499% to USD 15,99 for 500MB.

Shame on you, Emirates. Charging this amount for a deficient product is just appalling. Greed is taking over, it seems.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Hotels, Restaurants and Cafes are moving towards free wifi. Not sure airlines are going at the same rate (at the moment). What airlines offer 500MB free for nonFF, Y customers?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
They must've​ be been massively subsidizing the WiFi programme and this is their attempt to make it break even, considering the still reasonable pricing compared to other carriers. Sad, but understandable given their current financial pressure. People clearly weren't choosing EK for just the cheap WiFi so they must've figured they got to cut the cost now.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
So I want to log onto internet on board, as usual, and guess what: where the whole world is moving towards implementing free WiFi (hotels, restaurants, cafes, anybody), Emirates is hiking up its WiFi pricing by 1499% to USD 15,99 for 500MB.

Shame on you, Emirates. Charging this amount for a deficient product is just appalling. Greed is taking over, it seems.
Before it was "free" I used it and it was fine but since they stopped charging people much money, I have never found it usable so I welcome the change where only people who really need wifi will be using it until EK upgrade the system to support more users. The first free 10MB is still good for people who just may need to send a whatsapp to people on the ground etc.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by kq747
Before it was "free" I used it and it was fine but since they stopped charging people much money, I have never found it usable so I welcome the change where only people who really need wifi will be using it until EK upgrade the system to support more users. The first free 10MB is still good for people who just may need to send a whatsapp to people on the ground etc.
20MB free now
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:49 am

1. You are aware that this is satellite internet we're talking about, yes? And you do realise that satellite bandwidth is many, many, many magnitudes more expensive than land-based bandwidth? I would love to see hotels, restaurants and cafes offer free wi-fi at satellite bandwidth rates.

2. It's "deficient" because it's free and everyone is using it. Like, up to 500 people trying to log on into a relatively small bandwidth satellite link. Charging more means only people who really want it will use it, meaning more likelihood of a useable service.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by marconess
Hotels, Restaurants and Cafes are moving towards free wifi. Not sure airlines are going at the same rate (at the moment). What airlines offer 500MB free for nonFF, Y customers?
I agree that airlines are a long way off from there but Jetblue does offer free wifi to all passengers and it is interestingly the fastest wifi I have used on a plane (as in stream HBO fast). It is a satellite service btw.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by kq747
I agree that airlines are a long way off from there but Jetblue does offer free wifi to all passengers and it is interestingly the fastest wifi I have used on a plane (as in stream HBO fast). It is a satellite service btw.
Does JetBlue have 500 pax ship ?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:39 pm

Isn't the digital age where if things are free, the users are product - but since in this case the users are the customers, they have to pay...

There is a freemium element like the digital age too - pay them (lots) of money and you get Skywards status which gives you some benefits like free wifi with certain tickets.

That said, if it makes casual users of bandwidth who don't really care stop using it, so there is more for people who actually want the service, I think that's fine.

More satellite launches can't come soon enough, imho.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Any time a benefit is no longer included, the experience suffers. But I guess, if EK has to start breaking out costs, I'd rather see it be for Wi-fi than baggage fees (or worse, overhead bin space like UA/AA/6A basic fares).
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by ioto1902
Does JetBlue have 500 pax ship ?
No, and the difference is the types of technology. Jetblue has gone with a higher bandwidth limited coverage option whereas with the EK fleet reaching every corner of the globe they've instead had to look at a slower more expensive solution.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
I'm for anything that will increase the bandwidth to something usable. Dialup performance would be an improvement!

My work is mostly just code (github) push/pull and some light web surfing, but when a code push takes 5 minutes, if it succeeds at all, while on the ground it's half a second, there's a problem.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
That said, if it makes casual users of bandwidth who don't really care stop using it, so there is more for people who actually want the service, I think that's fine.

You cannot judge that. Very often, wechat or instagram is nowadays a real "emotional support" companion.

Joke aside, I got once a very upset FTer when he asked "my children NEED bandwidth, how can I get it at XXX hotel ? (exotic city)" to which I answered "wifi is not good there, go out, enjoy tourism".
Priority is a relative concept.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:30 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Why don't people search anymore before starting duplicate threads?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...y-14-june.html
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902
You cannot judge that. Very often, wechat or instagram is nowadays a real "emotional support" companion.

Joke aside, I got once a very upset FTer when he asked "my children NEED bandwidth, how can I get it at XXX hotel ? (exotic city)" to which I answered "wifi is not good there, go out, enjoy tourism".
Priority is a relative concept.
It may be joke aside, but I chuckled - after all, are you really on holiday if you can't upload pictures of it to instagram

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.