Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

A380 - First time Business class experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Hello,
We live in the Washington DC area. I originally came from India as an immigrant. My parents visited me a few times so far and they are flying out of IAD to India on Tuesday morning. I was able to finally afford to get them a Business Class upgrade (proud moment for me! upgraded by cash).

I never traveled business class myself and unable to answer some of their questions. I was hoping you kind folks can help.

1. First off, any major tips? any major gotchas?
2. I want them to be able to utilize all the major perks of a business class. Can they ask the Emirates inflight personnel or will it sound lame?
3. We asked for Asian Vegetarian Meal in economy class. Does AVML in Business Class mean anything more? Will they get any better food than the "usual" served in economy class? How does this in-flight bar work? Can they just walk up there and pick up any snacks there for free?
4. This is Airbus A380 - the seat will fully recline right? I asked for the seats in the middle next to each other.
5. I keep hearing Dubai lounge is pretty good. They have to wait for 7 hours. But I heard it is really tough to find a spot to sit? Also, do they have good vegetarian food options there? I keep hearing they can connect directly from the lounge to boarding area - how does that work?
6. Finally, I am going to ask if they can get an upgrade to First at the time of checkin - lets see. I paid so much for an upgrade (its a lot of money for me ) - the least Emirates can do is do their part..haha
7. EDIT - Chauffeur drop off works in any location in Asia? I will take them to the airport in India. Does this benefit apply to Business Saver as well ? Do I need to do anything to notify Emirates that drop off is needed? My parents live about 40 km from the airport in their city in India.

Any other thoughts? Thanks a bunch. really appreciate the guidance.

Last edited by xanadu37; May 28, 2017 at 6:33 pm
Old May 28, 2017, 8:57 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum! I've only flown business twice but will try to help as much as I can.

1. Ask for a mattress for when trying to sleep, I'm not sure if this is meant to be proactively since it was on one of my flights but not the other.

2. Soon after I boarded the plane the crew came round to check everything was okay, during this time they also asked if it was my first time in business and then talked me through the seat controls etc, they also check on you often through the flight.

3. I'm not certain about special meals in particular, however I know that the standard meals are plated very differently (on a plate and no tray etc).
Soon after taking off the inflight bar will be set up and then everything there is free to use and you just walk up whenever you want.

4. Yep the seat will recline into a flat bed, just to check that you booked seats E&F as these are right next to each other and more privacy from others?

5. The short amount of time I spent in the lounge it was very quiet and there was loads of space to sit, however this may be different at certain times.
The lounge has gates located directly above the economy gates, you scan the pass in the lounge and then take an elevator down to plane level

7. Check this link for the chauffeur drive rules in the city they are flying to https://www.emirates.com/english/fly...ur-drive.aspx#
Old May 28, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
1. Not much in the way of "gotchas" that come to mind
2. I don't think its lame per se. Staff usually ask if you've traveled before in EK J upon boarding and will explain salient seat and service features.
3. Your AVML will be somewhat similar to Y AVML but slightly enhanced. They can just walk up to the bar and order drinks, sit and enjoy the space, pick at any snacks they want or even ask the crew for something on the menus that may be out as it's not all veg.
4. Seats will fully recline. Confirm the seats are the inner ones and not the outer aisle ones through MMB.
5. Dubai lounge is good but 7 hours is pretty long but is not very full from 10am-3pm which will the bulk of their wait time. There are chaise lounges in slightly partitioned areas which are my favorite spots to relax. There are definitely veg options and usually a couple indian veg dishes. Full bar with soft drinks, tea/coffee and alcohol.
You can board directly from lounge to plane only if the flight is departing concourse A. The lounge runs the entire length of the concourse and there are elevators at each gate to take you the aircraft level so you can find a seat near your gate and wait there as each seating area has a buffet and bar. Again, only in concourse A but a gate may not be assigned 7 hours ahead.
6. Not sure if there is a question here but if you're hoping for a free upgrade to F, I wouldn't be too hopeful unless you booked them in a flex/flex plus fare.
7. Cash upgrade to get the benefit even saver tickets. You need to book the service with EK ASAP. Not any city. See this page for their specific city: https://www.emirates.com/us/english/...eur-drive.aspx
Old May 28, 2017, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Alan. I will remind them to ask for a mattress.

And, yes - I did book E and F seats.

I still couldn't figure out online ("Manage by booking") how to order a chauffeur service at the destination (Hyderabad, IN). Do you know if we get the benefit with Business Saver? I read some conflicting information about it.

Thank you.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:30 pm

Did you upgrade them with cash via an email offer? That would be the case where no chauffeur service is provided. Otherwise should not be a problem. Call EK USA customer service ASAP if you cannot book through MMB.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kq747
4. Seats will fully recline. Confirm the seats are the inner ones and not the outer aisle ones through MMB.
5. Dubai lounge is good but 7 hours is pretty long but is not very full from 10am-3pm which will the bulk of their wait time. There are chaise lounges in slightly partitioned areas which are my favorite spots to relax. There are definitely veg options and usually a couple indian veg dishes. Full bar with soft drinks, tea/coffee and alcohol.
7. Cash upgrade to get the benefit even saver tickets. You need to book the service with EK ASAP. Not any city. See this page for their specific city:
thank you KQ. I am on hold with EK rep and it has been disappointing. He now tells me that the ticket is not eligible for both chauffeur service and lounge access! I dont care about chauffeur service much now but not having lounge access in Dubai after paying SO MUCH money for upgrade is RIDICULOUS! I clearly remember seeing a pic for chauffeur service when they sent an email about online checkin.. I AM SUPER PISSED..how do I escalate this? any ideas ? Thanks.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Did you upgrade them with cash via an email offer? That would be the case where no chauffeur service is provided. Otherwise should not be a problem. Call EK USA customer service ASAP if you cannot book through MMB.
yes - I did upgrade using that. The funny story is that I called them a couple of days ago and the same price was offered...but the lady told me I could wait until 48 hours before departure and there could be an offer ..now, the same price was offered but now I am being told they cannot get chauffeur service and lounge access!
Old May 28, 2017, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by xanadu37
yes - I did upgrade using that. The funny story is that I called them a couple of days ago and the same price was offered...but the lady told me I could wait until 48 hours before departure and there could be an offer ..now, the same price was offered but now I am being told they cannot get chauffeur service and lounge access!
The online check in email is standard and automated. I'm afraid you're out of luck then because those email offers always state that no chauffeur service or lounge access will be included. I feel for you and your parents especially but the emails always also state the email upgrades are non-refundable. You can always try explain that you wanted to pay the full amount before the email offer but were directed to wait for it and see if they will make an exception of some kind? it will be down to luck, pleading and getting a nice agent. If you don't get a nice agent, you can always hang up and call again till you do. Good Luck! Again, I'm sorry you had to learn this the hard way.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:43 pm

I know you have already spent a lot of money but you might consider buying lounge access for your parents or getting them a day room at a hotel. Decent ones can be found for under $100 this time of year.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:08 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Oh, thats really poor from EK . May well be in t’s & c’s but still

You’ve spent a lot of $$ already - so just pony up some more $ for J or F lounges access, or a room at the Le Meridien at the airport, & make it right for them ^
Old May 28, 2017, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

I know you have already spent a lot of money but you might consider buying lounge access for your parents or getting them a day room at a hotel. Decent ones can be found for under $100 this time of year.
Thanks KQ ! I should have upgraded for the same price a couple of days ago when I called for the upgrade - I feel tricked now! I didn't even get an "offer" via email. I was trying to upgrade online and I got this option to upgrade and I went for it. Especially since the price was the same, I didnt even think there would be any difference in services.

I think the difference is just $100 to get into the lounge looks like. The problem will be to convince my parents to pay that money - I can't even do that from here. I can't believe Emirates would give that option without lounge access. I am s*it out of luck looks like. I talked to multiple reps and gave up. I sent them a couple of emails.. lets see what happens. Thanks anyway.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
Oh, thats really poor from EK . May well be in t’s & c’s but still

You’ve spent a lot of $$ already - so just pony up some more $ for J or F lounges access, or a room at the Le Meridien at the airport, & make it right for them ^
I agree NoY - it is in the T&Cs but I expected something better from Emirates. Especially because chauffeur service is one of the images that pops-up when you try to click the upgrade link during the checkin process.

Yeah - it is another $200 for the lounge access and I will go for it but just not cool from Emirates. I just cant even buy it from here and I know my parents won't spend that money in Dubai!
Old May 28, 2017, 10:37 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I agree NoY - it is in the T&Cs but I expected something better from Emirates. Especially because chauffeur service is one of the images that pops-up when you try to click the upgrade link during the checkin process.

Yeah - it is another $200 for the lounge access and I will go for it but just not cool from Emirates. I just cant even buy it from here and I know my parents won't spend that money in Dubai!
Agreed. I am done with EK, to be honest. I transferred the last of my Skywards miles out of my account yesterday (after a frustrating few hours with their screwed-up IT(). The end of EK for me ^
Old May 29, 2017, 12:32 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Hi xanadu37 and welcome to the EK forum. It's good to see you here. And hopefully you will stick around to participate. There are lots of useful threads on the subject matter and you will be able to glean lots of useful information to pass on to your parents along with the advice already given.

As as for the upgrade scenario you describe, I genuinely feel your disappointment. This has caught a fair few out before you and in my humble opinion, is one of the areas EK could do better. Having never received an upgrade at check in offer, I cannot comment on the wording and clarity of the email or offer at OLCI, and having read on here some other stories of contributors finding themselves in the same boat as you/your parents, I can only assume that it doesn't 'jump out' that all the benefits of J class travel on these upgrades are not available.

Just to clarify, did you pay for the upgrade at OLCI (48 hours) and when you called prior to this, did you ask for a fare difference upgrade quote? Generally speaking, if you paid for the upgrade within the OLCI timeframe, it is nigh on impossible to arrange chauffeur service as this has got to be done >48hrs before travel. It does sound as if you were given some poor advice on the initial call.

The upside is, that your parents will be spending the majority of their journey in comfort with plenty of time to get some sleep in relative comfort and be able to relax at the bar if they so wish and for a 7 hour layover, there is the option to pay for lounge access but bear in mind that the lounge access is supposedly only meant to be for four hours. How this is policed, I don't think we have had any reports, but if you can give the money to your parents to pay then I would try the following.

On arrival in DXB, they will be able to use fast track security. If their next flight is not displayed on their IFE monitors before arrival, get them to check on one of the screens before going through security. If the gate is published, then head to whichever concourse they will be departing from and go to the J lounge. Present their onward boarding passes and see if they get automatic access. If the lounge guardian asks for payment then hopefully they will have the money to pay (USD$100/pax). If they have to resort to paid access, this should only be available for 4 hours as already mentioned but given disembarkation and transfer time, it will already be nearer to their next departure and so won't have a great deal of time to kill in the main terminal if they do get turfed out of the lounge after 4 hours. If they get free access then they can stay in the lounge till a bit closer to boarding.

If the the gate is not displayed on arrival, then I personally would stay in the concourse I have arrived in. Again after disembarking and transfer time, this will be eating into the 7 hours. After an hour of actually getting through security and maybe a wander around the terminal/concourse, grabbing a coffee or looking through the shops, check the flight information screens for a gate. If one is displayed, head to that concourse if different from the one they are already in and go for lounge access as described above. If no gate is displayed still, then ask at one of the info desks, who may have an indication of what gate/concourse may be used and go to the closest lounge in the boarding concourse. If still no indication at that time, then go to the lounge and access as described above and keep a close eye on the flight information screens. They should still have plenty of time to go from one concourse to another if required.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you/your parents and hope they enjoy the on board comfort and experience.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old May 29, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Very unfortunate.

The emails do quite clearly state the lack of CD and lounge, however not sure how it's displayed and worded during OLCI. Also OLCI would still allow enough time to arrange CD for arrival (and it is offered in HYD, I'm flying there tomorrow, they're not in tomorrow's 526 are they?)

The onward BP received in IAD will show "EMIRATES LOUNGE NEAREST TO DEPARTURE GATE" if they are eligible.

Something doesn't seem to add up if this was a discounted upgrade but the same price was quoted several days in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.