Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

US bans inflight electronics on flights from UAE - lifted 5Jul17

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

https://www.ft.com/content/a69c65f4-...0-768954394623

This article states that the US is issuing regulations banning laptops, tablets and other electronic devices from being carried on board flights from a number of Middle East countries, including the UAE. Unclear if this affects Qatar.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:03 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Braniff
https://www.ft.com/content/a69c65f4-...0-768954394623

This article states that the US is issuing regulations banning laptops, tablets and other electronic devices from being carried on board flights from a number of Middle East countries, including the UAE. Unclear if this affects Qatar.
Or Emirates...
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Or Emirates...

Well, the article specifically says the ban applies to the UAE. So, it clearly affects Emirates and Etihad. It's unclear if the ban applies to the country Qatar and thus Qatar Airways....
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:28 pm

That is an interesting way to go after the ME3 and trying not affect Boeing sales
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold

What the hell. Guess I can't bring our laptops, not risking more theft out of our luggage.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:51 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Has anyone experienced this yet? How exactly do things go down for transit passengers if they're already checked their bags at the origin airport and are asked to check things again in DXB?

This must be insanely difficult to organize - Emirates' US flights have passengers connecting to a ton of different destinations.

If transit passengers are exempt, it's trivial for someone to book a repositioning flight to CMB or anywhere else... in fact I would do it if it enabled me to work on the plane!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Xlr
Has anyone experienced this yet? How exactly do things go down for transit passengers if they're already checked their bags at the origin airport and are asked to check things again in DXB?

This must be insanely difficult to organize - Emirates' US flights have passengers connecting to a ton of different destinations.
Will find out Saturday (IAD-SIN). Apparently the official announcement will be tomorrow.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Anyone worried about more lithium batteries in the cargo hold if there's a bunch of laptops outside our control during flight?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Is the UAE on Trumps travel ban too? ��
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Metanoia
Anyone worried about more lithium batteries in the cargo hold if there's a bunch of laptops outside our control during flight?
Yes, very worried.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
This article mentions Emirates by name, but is also speculative.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7640591.html
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
If true this is ridiculous.

How can they enforce this for transit passengers?

EK will be impacted on the facts i.e. They have direct flights from the UAE to the US.

Last edited by Zol; Mar 21, 2017 at 7:31 am Reason: Political
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
At the risk of being moved to OMNI, that sounds like an excuse experts would come up with to stop this ban!

Plus, if there is an inflight fire and emergency then that just proves the necessity of the ban in the first place

On a serious note: more likely that laptops will just get banned.

Perhaps the idea is to make travel to the US so inconvenient people just don't bother any more - I wonder if the DXB-MXP-JFK and DXB-ATH-EWR flights will be exempt if there is secondary screening in the EU ports.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
This will be easy to implement on Etihad flights from AUHsince all US bound flights leave from the same area AFTER going thru secondary screening as well as US customs & immigration. HOWEVER, This is going to be a nightmare for EK. flights to the US leave from all 3 concourses with no special security checks ........if they implement secondary security for all US flights the delays will be enormous. The other problem is EK is a huge carrier for business people traveling from the US to the Gulf, India, etc. if they can't use their laptops it's gonna be a big problem
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by m3red
If true this is ridiculous.

How can they enforce this for transit passengers?

EK will be impacted on the facts i.e. They have direct flights from the UAE to the US.
This will have to be done at the port of exit. It will be similar to the liquid ban that was initially enforced only on flights to US.

If checking in, I would strongly advise packing the laptop in a box or with proper shock absorbing material as there is no guarantee on how the baggage gets handled in cargo. And yes, make sure that data is all backed up as the probability of laptop damage is more if checked-in. In fact, Emirates mentions in their baggage rules that laptops should not be checked-in.

Last edited by Zol; Mar 21, 2017 at 7:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.