Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing 72 Hour Visa Emirates

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I recently flew BHX-DXB and on to HYD on separate ticket. I require visas for both Dubai and India. I simply showed my onward ticket at check-in (visa question not asked yet I proactively mentioned it when asked "just flying to Dubai tonight?") And accepted without further question. They never asked whether I had a visa for India. I think Ek staff are relatively chilled compared to other airlines and as mentioned the system (timatic) has the info so there really should be no issue.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vytas315
I've booked an open jaw itinerary with Emirates NBO>DXB>PEK BKK>DXB>NBO. I'm flying PEK>BKK on Thai Airways. With less than 72 hours in Beijing I meet the requirements for the 72 hour visa.

From what I can find online, looks like the 72 hour visa is attained via the carrier. In this case Emirates has told me that they don't facilitate visas outside of DXB. Has anyone successfully received a 72 hour visa on an open jaw itinerary with Emirates? Is it worth following up with Thai to see if they will process one for me?
It is ***NOT*** a visa. You're talking about transit WITHOUT visa, called TWOV on FT. There's a huge sticky thread about it in the China forum.

It's true that China has been giving ten year visas to USA citizens, but the cost is $160 plus photos and visa service agency fees. I don't know whether you get ten years if you apply outside of the USA, but I've heard that the answer is no if you get the visa in Hong Kong for instance.

In addition to the hard copies mentioned in an earlier post, with both confirmed reservations and ticket receipts for all flights, I would bring a printout from TIMATIC showing that you're eligible to enter China as TWOV.

TWOV in China is easy if you follow the rules, but the hard part is getting your airline to allow you to board without an expensive and inconvenient visa that isn't required.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

TWOV in China is easy if you follow the rules, but the hard part is getting your airline to allow you to board without an expensive and inconvenient visa that isn't required.
Can attest to this, based on my experience in April of last year.

I was questioned extensively (albeit with much courtesy) at Macau airport, by Air Macau when presenting for check-in for my flight to Chengdu, which also is included in the TWOV arrangement. After about 30 minutes of to-ing & fro-ing by various personnel, I was eventually given a boarding pass.

There was then a delay on my arrival at Chengdu whilst immigration officers checked their files/ book of rules etc, gabbled amongst themselves, and questioned me about my proposed stay ; but I was then allowed to proceed, after what I felt was only minor hassle.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
Thanks for all the advise guys!

There's a huge sticky thread about it in the China forum.
Yes, it's linked earlier in this thread. I was continuing here to see if people had experience with Emirates staff interpreting the TWOV rules.

I don't know whether you get ten years if you apply outside of the USA
I actually can. I've talked to the agency handling Chinese visas here in Nairobi and they told me that for US citizens they do 10 year visas for about $150 (including their fees).

I'll come armed with the TIMATIC printout and requisite travel documents. It's good to know that Emirates does use TIMATIC and my call with them confirmed that they see the clause about 72 hour TWOV. I'll probably start by saying my final destination is Thailand and at least in NBO that might be the end of the conversation if they don't check the layover times on my Thai airways itinerary, or even notice that my EK itinerary takes me to PEK.

I'll report back in a month!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.