Search

Fast track at JNB for F?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Silver...just
Fast track at JNB for F?

Folks,
anyone know if there's a fast track option offered on arrival at Johannesburg for F pax?
im connecting domestically but I know immigration is a nightmare at JNB.
I can always arrange with my guys down there if it's not comp from EK
I thank you...
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by MarshyM
Folks,
anyone know if there's a fast track option offered on arrival at Johannesburg for F pax?
im connecting domestically but I know immigration is a nightmare at JNB.
I can always arrange with my guys down there if it's not comp from EK
I thank you...
Wasn't aware ACSA offered any fast track lanes at all
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
I have never seen a fast track for F/J pax at JNB.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:59 am

I just travelled twice through Johannesburg International Airport in December spending a few nights in the city each way. Was biz class. Didnt find fast track and dont know if it exists.

Joined the immigration queue for passengers who do not require visas. Each time it took nearly two hours of standing to get to the head of the queue and go through. Perhaps its just me, second time around I got fearful cramps in my calf muscles and that has taken a good fifteen days of treatment to get well. I loved the country, the safari trip and the warm and friendly people in Joburgh but I will never travel through that airport. Just cant remain standing that long.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:57 pm

No there isn't, as others have said. The last time I was there, in addition to catastrophic queue management, they'd introduced thumb print scanners as well as the face and body temperature ones. Passport control didn't know how to use the thumb print ones at all which only slowed everything further.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Beecharmer
No there isn't, as others have said. The last time I was there, in addition to catastrophic queue management, they'd introduced thumb print scanners as well as the face and body temperature ones. Passport control didn't know how to use the thumb print ones at all which only slowed everything further.
I flew into Joburg the second week of December, I think it took me 10 tries on the damn fingerprint scanner, this after queuing for an hour and a half.

Not a very good system they've got, wait let me rephrase, worst I've ever come across.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
No fast track however, there is a company (I think Menzies) that does a meet and greet service at JNB and expedites the immigration hassles. Our tour operator used them once and we got hustled through the diplomate lane. Well worth any extra expense.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Silver...just
Thanks for the input folks. Yes, dwugson, its Menzies who offer such a service, thanks.
For those that want to use it try them here [email protected]
They do whisk you through the immigration so it seems...money talks in Africa hey!?
Costs from R694 plus VAT and they can also do lounges etc too.
Im giving it a bash in April anyways...
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by MarshyM
They do whisk you through the immigration so it seems...money talks in Africa hey!?
That's an unnecessary comment.

As opposed to the 1000 other airports around the world where such services can be purchased or it is included in your (more expensive) ticket (and for which the airline then pays the airport or a provider).
Old Jan 21, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
For exiting SA, I've never known JNB to be anything other than reasonably fast*. The way they've set the place up, it doesn't need a fast lane. Entry (and transfer) is another matter...

* If you can ignore for a moment that JNB is in Johannesburg, it can be a surprisingly decent airport. I used to hate the place (the thieving baggage handlers can still go to hell), but my recent experiences have been pretty positive.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:58 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
That's an unnecessary comment.

As opposed to the 1000 other airports around the world where such services can be purchased or it is included in your (more expensive) ticket (and for which the airline then pays the airport or a provider).
Oh come on now, money DOES talk, especially in Africa, as I suspect you well know. Unofficial fast track operates freely in JNB.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by NoY
Oh come on now, money DOES talk, especially in Africa, as I suspect you well know. Unofficial fast track operates freely in JNB.
On a continent about three times the size of North America with over 50 countries I am sure in some places bribing is a part of everyday life (I've seen it myself). In SA it's unfortunately a problem but not as common as you make it seem. I've never paid a bribe here and managed to do so without having to try extremely hard.

Now, Zim or Mozambique are different stories.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:35 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
On a continent about three times the size of North America with over 50 countries I am sure in some places bribing is a part of everyday life (I've seen it myself). In SA it's unfortunately a problem but not as common as you make it seem. I've never paid a bribe here and managed to do so without having to try extremely hard.

Now, Zim or Mozambique are different stories.
LOL
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by NoY
I think the issue was that the original comment was: "money talks in Africa hey!?" implying that:

1 - bribery only exists in Africa (clearly not true)
2 - the paid for service mentioned is improper in some way, even though airports around the world offer the same kind of service

Money talks in every country, which is why I think it's an unfair comment to make.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 4:11 am
NoY

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
I think the issue was that the original comment was: "money talks in Africa hey!?" implying that:

1 - bribery only exists in Africa (clearly not true)
2 - the paid for service mentioned is improper in some way, even though airports around the world offer the same kind of service

Money talks in every country, which is why I think it's an unfair comment to make.
Your 1. I don’t see it that way.
Your 2. paid for services, “officially” or not, are commonplace.

Nothing to see here. Lets move on ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.