Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Travelling Y For The First Time. Survival Tactics Please?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling Y For The First Time. Survival Tactics Please?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2016, 2:52 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by scotclif
Good Luck... your moving from the posh seats at Hampden to the Restricted view.

As we say "haste ye back" fella.
^^. Who's ready for the singalong?

S
Old Nov 9, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Board early, otherwise you'll find the overhead bin space taken.
Don't chose seat 25C or H (on your pic), there's a bit less room for your feet under the seat in front.
If you choose a window exit seat, you may get cold feet, ask for an extra blanket to wrap around your feet.
You will get knocked/bumped if you have an aisle seat.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: Emirates Gold + BA Silver
http://www.airreview.com/Seatmap/Emi...A380/index.htm

http://www.airreview.com/Seatmap/Emi...-300/index.htm

The above links show you picture of seat by seat - could prove useful
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:48 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

Cheers for that. I was under the impression and sure I read somewhere that even rear bulkhead seats had standard recline. According to the site review, recline is limited. Anybody able to share reviews on 50H?

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Cheers for that. I was under the impression and sure I read somewhere that even rear bulkhead seats had standard recline. According to the site review, recline is limited. Anybody able to share reviews on 50H?

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Its a long way from 2k
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:50 am

The B777 link is for the -300 not -300ER. No more 12 armchairs in F.

The A380 one is for the original configuration, but almost identical to current ones.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Hang out with the crew in the back galley if they are cheerful. That way you'll not need to spend *that* much time in your seat.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:25 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red
Its a long way from 2k
Not that far . Must be just about below and back a wee bit. I'll be in the first class economy section

S
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:50 am

Not that far . Must be just about below and back a wee bit. I'll be in the first class economy section

S
I reckon just about directly under!

You also might find the A380 street view on the website useful to look at.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:53 am

Safe & Happy Travels

S
In the 77W recline in the rear rows is not limited
Old Nov 10, 2016, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Well All

As predicted, my next set of flights back to work are booked in Y and will be travelling in Y unless some miracle happens between now and the end of the month. The flights have even been booked as 'Saver', so not even a hope in hell of an upgrade with my yet untested Gold Card thanks to the new upgrade policy .

Have always paid on my own to upgrade to J but Brexit has put paid to that with the plummet in the pound and severe belt tightening actions put in to play.

So what can all of you trusty Y travellers advise? I will be making the best of it as much as I can, but it ain't going to be a flat bed, that much I do know. Routing is GLA-DXB-PEK on 77W & A380.

On the seat maps (at least I could pick my seats), a lot of the further forward seats are already occupied with a smattering of single seats in the forward cabins and duo seats at the back of the 77W all blocked or taken. Thus far I have chosen 24G on the 77W & 50H on the A380 (which is showing as the last seat in the front lower deck cabin). Exit rows & bassinets all blocked as expected. What are thoughts on these seats? Any good? At least I can recline without putting my seatback into someones face.

No CD so will have to find a willing relative to take me to GLA and book my own car at the other end on arrival.

Lounge access is no problem and extra luggage allowance is still helpful (winter clothing getting taken back with me).

So, anything from the wise that I should be wary of or any pointers that could help take the sting out of this?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
When I am forced to ride with the stinking lumpenproles, I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Firstly, it helps to ensure that it's a short flight if at all possible. Anything over 3.5 hours and I will pay out of pocket to UG even on a company-paid Y ticket. It's a problem that can be solved with money.

Secondly, if there are any available "Premium" Y seats, get those. Costs are negligible..usually under 100 USD, frequently under 50 USD. You get a bit more legroom, earlier boarding (which means first access to bins and less odds of having your seat poached by an insolent kettle, the self-entitled "mombie" squad, or people who exploit age and disease to snag it out from under you) and at least some sense that you are still ahead of the masses, even if only in a marginal way.

At the very least, go for an exit row, which gives enough legroom to make Y tolerable in short bursts.

Bring ear plugs and/or music to drown out the noise of the children. Retreat into your own isolated universe with closed eyes and music.

Lower your expectations for FA attitudes. In Y they really do see you as cattle.

Bring food..don't go full native and eat a stinking bag of burger king..but a bag of mixed nuts or watercress in tupperware will do fine.

Last edited by Proudelitist; Nov 11, 2016 at 9:31 am
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:35 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Another question that I have just thought of. Do Golds get fast track security at GLA?

S
Old Nov 10, 2016, 9:20 pm

Another question that I have just thought of. Do Golds get fast track security at GLA?

S
Yes you should do.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I've no problem with Emirates economy but, as has been pointed out in other threads, long haul really is like two different airlines. I find the A380 seats good enough for getting a little sleep. On the 777 I usually end up staying awake for most of the flight - not good when you've got the oldest generation of IFE (which seems typical, for flights into Africa).

Consider yourself lucky you're not flying long haul economy with BA, LH, AF or KLM.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:58 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Internaut
I've no problem with Emirates economy but, as has been pointed out in other threads, long haul really is like two different airlines. I find the A380 seats good enough for getting a little sleep. On the 777 I usually end up staying awake for most of the flight - not good when you've got the oldest generation of IFE (which seems typical, for flights into Africa).

Consider yourself lucky you're not flying long haul economy with BA, LH, AF or KLM.
I'll probably find that I will stay awake on the GLA-DXB leg anyway as I'll be in that time zone. As for the DXB-PEK leg, who knows? Not a great sleeper in Y.

Plenty of Y experience with BA, it's just been a while, but live to tell the tale.

Safe & Happy Travels

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.