Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time in J- few questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:31 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by ukdoctor

There are some pax (especially women) who come to the bar barefoot after visiting the toilets. I don't think they are aware how dirty the toilet floor is after an hour or two of the flight.
Why 'especially women' ?

In any case, that's disgusting.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
On my last flight in F there was a man at the bar who had his F PJ's and slippers with a Jacket on.

Looked even more weird than just a PJ and slippers.

There are some pax (especially women) who come to the bar barefoot after visiting the toilets. I don't think they are aware how dirty the toilet floor is after an hour or two of the flight.
That's what slippers are for. That I can live with at the bar.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
My first and only flights on Emirates were LHR-DXB-CMB-DXB-LHR in Y in 1998 with the ex Mrs Capin. All sectors were 777s.

I thought Emirates were utterly fantastic, we had a stop over in DXB for 3 days and stayed in the newly opened Jumeirah beach hotel and had a tour of the Burj. The flights on Emirates were the first time I had seen exterior cameras and I think it was my first flight with in seat IFE. Crew were great, service was great, food was great. I got a job working for BA in 1999 and flew with them almost exclusively on staff travel (who wouldn't??) for the next ten years. The years rolled by and more recently I have been flying with BA with work and tend to use QR for my personal travel if I can with a Cathay first ultra long haul sector (ORD-HKG) coming up in May 2017 nearly all paid for with Avios.

I'm heading LHR-BKK on Friday week. I was looking for a good value J, QR (all in dollars) were 3.5K, BA 4K (ridiculous), Eva 3K, Thai 2.2K and I grabbed myself a QF/EK ticket for just over the $2K. For the first time in a few years, I am dead excited, I'm really looking forward to flying EK in J and seeing what they are like and how thing may have changed over the last (almost) 20 years.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by capin
My first and only flights on Emirates were LHR-DXB-CMB-DXB-LHR in Y in 1998 with the ex Mrs Capin. All sectors were 777s.

I thought Emirates were utterly fantastic, we had a stop over in DXB for 3 days and stayed in the newly opened Jumeirah beach hotel and had a tour of the Burj. The flights on Emirates were the first time I had seen exterior cameras and I think it was my first flight with in seat IFE. Crew were great, service was great, food was great. I got a job working for BA in 1999 and flew with them almost exclusively on staff travel (who wouldn't??) for the next ten years. The years rolled by and more recently I have been flying with BA with work and tend to use QR for my personal travel if I can with a Cathay first ultra long haul sector (ORD-HKG) coming up in May 2017 nearly all paid for with Avios.

I'm heading LHR-BKK on Friday week. I was looking for a good value J, QR (all in dollars) were 3.5K, BA 4K (ridiculous), Eva 3K, Thai 2.2K and I grabbed myself a QF/EK ticket for just over the $2K. For the first time in a few years, I am dead excited, I'm really looking forward to flying EK in J and seeing what they are like and how thing may have changed over the last (almost) 20 years.
Do report back and let us know how you get on!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Silverswimmer
I always change into my EK,BA,Gulf or Thai F PJ's (whatever I have packed) when ever I fly in J on day and night flights. I normally change before take-off.
I do it , not to look cool (I look a prat) but for comfort and to ensure my travelling clothes are clean and fresh-the pj's having taken the spillage from the fizz and food

SS
I am with you. I actually wear pajama under my slacks and soon after boarding just take off my pants and get comfortable ! I should try going to the bar .....
Old Nov 9, 2016, 1:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador

For all that some have grumbles about EK, you will not be disappointed. Their J product both on the ground and in the air is fantastic.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by ioto1902
Why 'especially women' ?

In any case, that's disgusting.
I suspect that they board the aircraft with heels or some other uncomfortable shoes and then take it off mid flight perhaps.

Never seen a man going barefoot to the toilet (though plenty with socks on) in all the time I've spent at the J bar.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by m3red
Do report back and let us know how you get on!
I was blown away by EK - J on the A380. They are just as good as my favourite airline, QR. The food and drink was great, the seat was really comfy, service was great. Really, really impressed!! I'm flying back home tonight so I hope they are just as good.

As a side note, QF - not bad at all, much better than expected.

I would suggest that people who generally think that EK J is not excellent need to fly a few BA CW sectors.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by m3red
No just change into whatever is comfortable just don't wear them at the bar.

On a flight in sept from lgw some clown in f went to the bar in the F pjs straight after take off.
Earlier this year I had a flight to Chicago in J and one of my co-passengers just had his boxers and a shirt on as he walked to the toilet. I was really upset I didn't have my camera with me for that one.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
I was blown away by EK - J on the A380. They are just as good as my favourite airline, QR. The food and drink was great, the seat was really comfy, service was great. Really, really impressed!! I'm flying back home tonight so I hope they are just as good.
It is easy to be blown away at first impression, especially if one has not had anything that good with other carriers.

Is EK J very good? Yes, I would say so. However, as 4 flights (all on A380s) in the past fortnight showed, they are not amazing:

- Slow service for those down the back of the J cabin (why can't they divvy it up into halves and cater at the same pace?)
- Did not get chocolates towards the end of every flight
- Hot towel after the meal is a bit hit and miss, in that I did not always get one
- Told that I could not have my tablet on my lap during take-off
- Inconsistency of the hard product: sometimes the power plug is by your eyes and sometimes it's by your feet, sometimes there is a cubby hole under your feet and sometimes there isn't one
- Undercatered on the first choice main (it was obvious even to me that it was the most appealing dish of the 3), so had to get the fish
- Wine list is not always given. While they tried to describe the wines to me, I had to insist quite firmly on reading it myself
- Warm nuts sometimes given and sometimes not
- No proactive "let me take your jacket, sir"
- While the window seats have lots of storage space, one of the compartments simply would not open up and I was glad that I moved my stuff to the other one while I could
- When I ask for water, I was told to use the Voss bottle in my bar
- During one of the flights, one lavatory ran out of paper towels by the time I went in, so they do not seem to check it often enough
- Sometimes you can board from the EK's own lounge and sometimes you cannot
- The crew insists on collecting the blankets before landing even though I used it to keep my feet warm
- Touchscreen on ICE is sometimes mis-calibrated and I could not tap the button that would turn off the screen
- J pax should have 500MB of wifi data allowance
- Unless one sits upright, the slide-out table is often uncomfortably low to put a tablet on to watch things after a hefty meal

That's not to say that other carriers would never suffer the same issues, but I just wanted to highlight that EK is by no means immune despite being very good.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by techie
It is easy to be blown away at first impression, especially if one has not had anything that good with other carriers.

Is EK J very good? Yes, I would say so. However, as 4 flights (all on A380s) in the past fortnight showed, they are not amazing:

- Slow service for those down the back of the J cabin (why can't they divvy it up into halves and cater at the same pace?)
- Hot towel after the meal is a bit hit and miss, in that I did not always get one
- Inconsistency of the hard product: sometimes the power plug is by your eyes and sometimes it's by your feet, sometimes there is a cubby hole under your feet and sometimes there isn't one
- Undercatered on the first choice main (it was obvious even to me that it was the most appealing dish of the 3), so had to get the fish
- Wine list is not always given. While they tried to describe the wines to me, I had to insist quite firmly on reading it myself
- While the window seats have lots of storage space, one of the compartments simply would not open up and I was glad that I moved my stuff to the other one while I could
- During one of the flights, one lavatory ran out of paper towels by the time I went in, so they do not seem to check it often enough
- The crew insists on collecting the blankets before landing even though I used it to keep my feet warm
- Touchscreen on ICE is sometimes mis-calibrated and I could not tap the button that would turn off the screen
- Unless one sits upright, the slide-out table is often uncomfortably low to put a tablet on to watch things after a hefty meal

That's not to say that other carriers would never suffer the same issues, but I just wanted to highlight that EK is by no means immune despite being very good.
Half those points are ridiculous. Should they disregard safety regulations with tablet and blanket? Should they either build lounge-boardable gates everywhere or never allow it?

There's a bottle of water at your seat, makes perfect sense that they would point this out to you when you ask for some. And poor you having to pay $1 for 500MB of data...
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Half those points are ridiculous. Should they disregard safety regulations with tablet and blanket? Should they either build lounge-boardable gates everywhere or never allow it?
You may think they are riduculous, but those who like a premium experience would pick up on them.

What are the safety regulations when, on 3 out of 4 flights that I took, the crew could not give a monkey's about me watching stuff? And the same crew member didn't say a peep when we were coming in to land and I had it out again on my lap.

As for the blanket, what are the safety risks for me to have it in the footrest area?

Would I prefer to always board from the lounge? Yes, absolutely. It makes for a better experience than leaving the lounge to navigate stairs and escalators to funnel into the gate area where everyone else is.
There's a bottle of water at your seat, makes perfect sense that they would point this out to you when you ask for some. And poor you having to pay $1 for 500MB of data...
If pax are expected to use the mini-bar water first, why are they served water with their meal?

As for the "poor me" comment, one can flip that on its side: given how little it costs for 500MB of data, is it really too stingy for EK to provide that much without paying extra? People are often funny about spending $1 on an app for their phone, so it's not as simple as it looks...
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:08 am

You may think they are riduculous, but those who like a premium experience would pick up on them.

What are the safety regulations when, on 3 out of 4 flights that I took, the crew could not give a monkey's about me watching stuff? And the same crew member didn't say a peep when we were coming in to land and I had it out again on my lap.

As for the blanket, what are the safety risks for me to have it in the footrest area?

Would I prefer to always board from the lounge? Yes, absolutely. It makes for a better experience than leaving the lounge to navigate stairs and escalators to funnel into the gate area where everyone else is.

If pax are expected to use the mini-bar water first, why are they served water with their meal?

As for the "poor me" comment, one can flip that on its side: given how little it costs for 500MB of data, is it really too stingy for EK to provide that much without paying extra? People are often funny about spending $1 on an app for their phone, so it's not as simple as it looks...
The use of portable electronic devices during critical stages of flight as well as taxying is forbidden. Case closed.

I promise you the cost to EK is >$1/500MB. It's subsidised.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:34 am

The use of portable electronic devices during critical stages of flight as well as taxying is forbidden. Case closed.
Nonsense: http://www.emirates.com/english/help...i-use-on-board
What you can use at any time when switched to flight mode only:
(Putting your device in flight mode means all the transmitting services like Wi-Fi, GSM, GPRS/EDGE and Bluetooth are off.)
Mobile phones
Tablets, for example, iPads and Kindles
E-readers
Electronic games, for example Nintendo DS
Bluetooth devices
Though it is curious how they expect people to use Bluetooth devices when transmitting services like Bluetooth are expected to be switched off

Last edited by techie; Nov 30, 2016 at 10:50 am
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:20 pm

Just out of interest, Here is how I stack up carriers that I have flown in J -

1. QR
2. EK
3. EY
4. QF
5. UA
6. AA
7. BA

You are right though, If you are used to QR then you may think, "Meh!!" about Emirates. If you are used to BA then you are going to be blown away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.