Wiki Posts
Search

First in first

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:46 am
Original Poster

First in first

Hi all,
My wife and I have booked a very special holiday to South Africa next Feburary and for the first time we have broke the bank and shelled out for a one way first class flight with Emirates to Cape Town via Dubai.

Never flown first and we are looking forward to the experience as much as the holiday.
My questions are,
What can we expect ? and please any tips to help us get the most out of this once in a life time trip.
Thanks,
Mklions..
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:50 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I hope you booked a return with the outbound being in First and the return in Business or Economy, as opposed to two one-ways? Because that would be very expensive!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
If its a A380 in first this is a good video.

Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Have a look in the trip reports section (search for Emirates to get to older reports). The EK website gives a pretty good idea of what to expect. Not sure where you are flying from but don't forget that the DXB to CPT leg is on a 777 so you won't have the option of a shower on board and there is no bar - you will need to do those on your first flight (if you are on an A380 and assuming you want to). Have fun!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Have a look in the trip reports section (search for Emirates to get to older reports). The EK website gives a pretty good idea of what to expect. Not sure where you are flying from but don't forget that the DXB to CPT leg is on a 777 so you won't have the option of a shower on board and there is no bar - you will need to do those on your first flight (if you are on an A380 and assuming you want to). Have fun!
A380 to JNB from Feb. Maybe OP booked that one. But no one wants to go to JNB so..
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

We are travelling from LHR so on a A380 for the first leg.

i believe that you get picked up in a S class Mercedes which will be a great start.
Any special treatment in the first class lounge at Heathrow? / Dubai?
I also have read that there are some very expensive drinks on board that we could sample?
Must also try the shower in the sky.
As mentioned this is a one off for us and really want to get the most out of the experience!!
Thanks for all the posts thus far.
Mklions
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi there mklions ...... yes you must try the shower in the sky, it does have an undeniable novelty factor.

Your pick-up car may not necessarily be a Merc S class (other car brands are available, as the BBC disclaimer goes...!) but it will be something of similar quality. No guarantees on that. Could be a Merc E class or a BMW.

On the matter of lounges : the Heathrow lounge is a joint business /first class facility ..... very pleasant & well-equipped, but nothing overly-special. Dubai will be a whole different experience because there are dedicated F lounges with a LOT more space & luxury, including table service for food with comprehensive a la carte menus

My own favourite beverage onboard is the Hennessy Paradis cognac, but others here will extol the virtues of Dom Perignon champagne (speaking personally, the bubbly stuff never does much for me, but each to his/her own of course).

It's great that you're looking forward to your trip so much and I sincerely hope that it meets your expectations. There's every chance it will, and overall Emirates can be relied on to 'deliver' where First class is concerned. That said, I do always believe in cautioning anyone travelling in F for the first time that a lot can depend on the crew on any given flight. I have had many F flights that were made memorable by the manner & attitude of the cabin crew ; but there have also been occasions where I felt they were merely going though the motions. It tends not to be an issue for me personally because I don't have any particular demands - other than the additional space & privacy that F class provides - but I think some passengers might (understandably) feel a little disappointed if service comes across as routine.

Others here will chime in with their own perspective & thoughts and meantime you might want to gave a read through some of the generic threads included here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...dashboard.html

Have a fantastic trip ^
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Another reason to sample the onboard shower is that I find the shower rooms in the EK F lounges very hot and humid. I always come out from the experience feeling as though I need a shower.....
Much better in my opinion to spend the time over a longer breakfast or lunch!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:06 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, QR privilege club Gold, Topbonus Gold
Among other perks , i do love the wine they have: @FC lounge in DXB do try the Stanly Ranch Pinot Noir or even better the chateau giscours margaux 2005 (in case you are wine person - assume so going to ZA!)

While on board (@A380) you have the P2 Dom Perignon 98 which is produced only from best grapes & best years!

Enjoy!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Bubus78
Among other perks , i do love the wine they have: @FC lounge in DXB do try the Stanly Ranch Pinot Noir or even better the chateau giscours margaux 2005 (in case you are wine person - assume so going to ZA!)

While on board (@A380) you have the P2 Dom Perignon 98 which is produced only from best grapes & best years!

Enjoy!
I am working my way through all the supplies of the Chateau Giscours 2005, so it is unlikely to still be there next February

The FCL gets unused stock from what's on board when they change things around, but not immediately - so you get various gems that appear every so often (e.g. Vega Sicilia Unico 2000 from earlier this year)
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Bubus78

Enjoy!
p2 will be long gone as well.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by m3red
p2 will be long gone as well.
I assume that you many more flights in the next month. ;-)
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I assume that you many more flights in the next month. ;-)
Nothing in November at the moment...can't decide between Seychelles, Mauritius or the Maldives to get my plat renewed!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by m3red
Nothing in November at the moment...can't decide between Seychelles, Mauritius or the Maldives to get my plat renewed!
Poor you...
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Poor you...

#thestruggleisreal

See you in just over a week at a champagne brunch after your F class flight to Dubai

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.