Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Seat belt length on 777/380, too short?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb

Now, I'm certainly not slim but I'm not that fat either. 100 kg 185 cm. A big guy sort of.

On all airlines I have no problem with the seat belt, it has plenty of length to adjust. On Emirates, I must use almost all. I mean adjust the belt to it's full capacity.

I find this strange as the seat belt surely must be standard equpiment from Airbus/Boeing? Why is the seatbelt shorter on Emirates?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
1. I think the seatbelt is provided by the seat manufacturer, not the aircraft manufacturer
2. I haven't noticed them to be shorter than on other airlines and often keep them at max length for comfort and have tons of slack. I'm ~80kg at ~177m so presumably similar proportions.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:13 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I would possibly be slightly larger girth and have not found any problems with seatbelts on both aircraft.

S
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
1. I think the seatbelt is provided by the seat manufacturer, not the aircraft manufacturer
2. I haven't noticed them to be shorter than on other airlines and often keep them at max length for comfort and have tons of slack. I'm ~80kg at ~177m so presumably similar proportions.
Boy legroom must be a challenge for you (my bold)
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by scnzzz
Boy legroom must be a challenge for you (my bold)
Lol. Focus. You know what I meant
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:51 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
I presume there are strict homologation standards for security items such as seat belts.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by ioto1902
I presume there are strict homologation standards for security items such as seat belts.
My understanding (and I almost certainly read it on FT, so you know it must be true ) is that new seat belts start out a standard, somewhat generous, length. But due to wear and tear, they're often repaired by cutting off one end and reattaching, so they get shorter over time. At some point another repair will make them too short, so they're then replaced. Lather, rinse, repeat.

My experience with numerous flights on the same airline/aircraft is that the belt varies significantly. And that the shorter ones appear a bit worn while the longer ones seem newer.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
My understanding (and I almost certainly read it on FT, so you know it must be true ) is that new seat belts start out a standard, somewhat generous, length. But due to wear and tear, they're often repaired by cutting off one end and reattaching, so they get shorter over time. At some point another repair will make them too short, so they're then replaced. Lather, rinse, repeat.

My experience with numerous flights on the same airline/aircraft is that the belt varies significantly. And that the shorter ones appear a bit worn while the longer ones seem newer.

Thank you!

This is probably it as I can't remember the problem on all EK flights. Strangely enough it is only on EK I have experienced it.

I was thinking that maybe the business seat model used by EK "requires more" of the belt than on BA or QR.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: EK Gold
I swear sometimes I've thought this however I've also noticed that sometimes it gets stuck under the side of the seat and makes it smaller.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I used to think that seatbelts were getting shorter..

However I measured my waist one day and my whole world fell apart. :-(
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I used to think that seatbelts were getting shorter..

However I measured my waist one day and my whole world fell apart. :-(
I could swear I read this joke somewhere on this site a few months ago already Still gold though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.