Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

WOW! EK Downgrades LAX-DXB Out of the Gate!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP

I have just received an email from Emirates indicating that the flight times have changed from my October 29 flight from Los Angeles to Dubai (onward to JED on an old 380 F class). Wondering what that was about, I went to MY BOOKING, to see why - lo and behold, the later evening flight from LAX to DXB has been downgraded from an A380 to a 777! WOW! As an F class passenger who books EK because of the A380 experience (spa, J class bar, etc.), why does that make sense, at all? I might as well fly Saudia F class nonstop from LAX-JED return! There is NOTHING about the experience on a 777 that makes EK special in any way. I will have my exec assistant make all the reservation changes necessary to move me from EK to a carrier that doesn't do a bait-and-switch. Shameful, EK!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The B777 suites are no worse than the A380 suites. The only difference is the existence of the bar at the rear of the aeroplane and showers

Unless the B777 is a 2 class aeroplane , you have not been downgraded and cannot see how can claim some form of "bait and switch".

Airlines do not guarantee particular aeroplanes when making a booking

Hopefully , if you rebook on Saudia, will get an aeroplane with a bar onboard and showers and that will not change
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Seriously?! I'm searching and searching for the 2 large F class toilets and shower/spas on a 777 - can't seem to find one. Perhaps, you can help?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA, QF, EK
I had the same reschedule by 10 minutes come through last week -- but late flight LAX-DXB 15 Sep still showing 380 on EK account overview, also in F. Yeah, I booked for the shower and bar as well mate.

At least the 777 has higher walls and better windows? Small solace perhaps.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Dave - please, don't be an EK apologist I'm told that I have already had my reservation changed to the earlier LAX-DXB flight that day. To suggest that a 777 F class experience is anything like the 380 is ludicrous. Luckily, as an individual who can afford to purchase whatever F-class seat I can, it isn't a real issue for me. For other passengers, that might not be the case - thus, the post!
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pacman3
Seriously?! I'm searching and searching for the 2 large F class toilets and shower/spas on a 777 - can't seem to find one. Perhaps, you can help?
Seriously - if you think that SV's 24 seat 1st class will be better than this, pay any cancellation fee and rebook

If in business class, there is a fairly big difference between the A380 and 777, but in 1st, the seating is no worse at all and the smaller cabin is nicer (imo) than the 380. A smaller toilet is a major downgrade? really?

It is not ludicrous to suggest that 1st on the 2 different types is similar
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:08 am
Original Poster

So, David - you were also confirmed on a 380 in F from LAX to DXB, only be to switched to a 777? Readers - this is literally within a 10 days of the hoopla around the double-daily from LAX-DXB?!!! Again, shameful and truly bad form on the part of Emirates.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:22 am

Luckily, as an individual who can afford to purchase whatever F-class seat I can, it isn't a real issue for me. For other passengers, that might not be the case - thus, the post!
How very Robin Hood of you, with a due respect, how do you know if any other passengers care?

If I had all the money in the world to buy what ever first-class was available I would not waste my time on the internet complaining about a toilet and shower.............
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:25 am
Original Poster

!!

Just to be clear, we're not talking about a 'smaller toilet' -- there is simply no comparison between the 2 experiences, folks! The 777 has 'suites' that are equivalent to the A380 (some will say they have more above-the-shoulder space because of the curvature of the aircraft). BUT, there is a HUGE difference between the 380 and 777 - if anyone tries to tell someone anything otherwise, beware. For weeks (months?) EK has been marketing its upcoming twice-daily service to LAX from DXB - to suggest otherwise, it disingenuous to those of us who are high value passengers for Emirates. For those of us who've booked F, the marketing IS a 'book-and-switch" A380-777, no matter what an apologist suggests.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Sounds pretty whingy
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
This is very entertaining to read
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:42 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Don't waste your precious time looking for them. Get your Executive Asst to do that for you!
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:50 am

Programs: AA, QF, EK
No pacman, no downgrade showing on my 15 Sep flight as yet. Still 380.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Done so, Michael. I've been re-booked on the earlier LAX-DXB flight. Sorry if I offend anyone, but if I spend $23,000 to fly to JED from my home, I expect what is "advertised" - namely, what EK has advertised to expect. If others think that is unreasonable, so be it.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe you don't travel much, but you should be aware that all airlines make aircraft swaps from time to time for a variety of reasons. A bigger toilet, a shower, and a bar are not part of the class of service definition and won't get you any compensation no matter how many toys you throw out of your pram.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.