Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK not honouring discount?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Question EK not honouring discount?

Earlier this week I booked a flight for my parents with EK (LHR-DXB-IKA) and the price was £417.50 each. I then got an email from emirates giving me a unique link with an exclusive 15% off just for me.

I have searched for the dates I wish to book for LHR-DXB-IKA through the normal EK website in incognito mode and with the dates and flights I have selected I am quoted £417.50. But going through the link I have been given to get 15% off, I am quoted a cheapest price of £403. Now my mental maths isn't too good, but I know well enough that 15% of £417.50 is not £14.50!

To top things off I am a skywards member so it's nice of them to treat me well Anyone else had a similar issue?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:23 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Not being a ticketing expert or anything like that but is it not maybe that the 15% discount is from the base fare only? So the taxes & carrier surcharges would remain at the full cost and the discount is only from the actual base fare. Brain not firing on all cylinders at the moment. If you can see what the taxes and carrier surcharges are and deduct that from the £417.50 should leave you with the base fare and then see what 15% of that is.

Need to go to sleep......

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:25 pm

Is the 15% off the total price inclusive of tax and carrier surcharges or just 15% off the fare?

For a total price of 417.50 it is likely the base fare is only 100GBP and thus the 15% would correspond to about that, leaving you 412.50.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Both of you are correct, I wasn't thinking straight, although it is a bit cheeky of them not to mention that (its not even in the t&c of the email )

This now begs the question, how one earth are they making money when the airfare is only £100 full price?!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:21 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by jetblast787
Both of you are correct, I wasn't thinking straight, although it is a bit cheeky of them not to mention that (its not even in the t&c of the email )

This now begs the question, how one earth are they making money when the airfare is only £100 full price?!
Base fare + Carrier Surcharges. How much of the ticket is actually Government charges?

S
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by jetblast787

EK get base fare + carrier surcharges as revenue.

Even so, on a ticket as cheap as yours, given the itinerary, it's very likely that EK aren't making any money at all, in fact, they are making a small loss.

Luckily for EK though, not everyone on the plane is paying the same money for the same type of seat - and there are some seats that sell for a lot more
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Aer Club Concierge, Emirates Gold
I got the same email, except the subject line stated 20% off. Body of message was 15%
Old May 2, 2016, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Do not get fooled by these so-called charges.
Most charges are simply revenue, not taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.