Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Introducing the new eX3 Entertainment System (IFE)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum

EK will introduce a new IFE later this year. Detailed pictures are below. Some bullet points:

- Handset with more controls
- Larger screens
- New sockets
- New ICE features, such as a Voyager app, Bluetooth audio and personal video playback

I personally really appreciate that you now can finally load your own movies/series onto the IFE via USB stick!

Pictures are not perfect, but on-click you can see them bigger.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by w00t; Sep 7, 2015 at 3:17 am
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
I like it... especially the Voyager app. Any indication on when they'll be retrofitting this on the older aircrafts?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum
Existing aircrafts will will not be retrofitted. :/
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:19 am

At the risk of being that guy - oh what the heck, I already am around here, right? - EK are doing a bit of a sleight of hand with their staff, because ex3 is actually the name of the hardware base that this software upgrade is being put on.

Panasonic is probably the leading manufacturer of IFE systems out there - as in, the airlines that are rated the best for IFE such as EK and SQ use it. ex3 is the latest release (actually it's been out for a while, but of course each airline customer gets to play with massive customisations in both hardware and software, as you can see with EK). ex2 is the older style ICE digital system as you can see from the controllers, ex3 is what the newest planes have. To retrofit you would have to change the entire hardware system, which means new seats, new everything - so I would expect to see the new software on the current ex3 equipped planes, and the new hardware ports on future deliveries.

The 32 inch Altus screens in F support 1080p ^

Last edited by eternaltransit; Sep 7, 2015 at 4:38 am Reason: added link
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Originally Posted by w00t
EK will introduce a new IFE later this year. Detailed pictures are below. Some bullet points:

- Handset with more controls
- Larger screens
- New sockets
- New ICE features, such as a Voyager app, Bluetooth audio and personal video playback

What do you guys think?
Looks great - shame no retrofitting but given what is required to do that, understandable. Glad that EK aren't resting on their IFE laurels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.