Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Call Centre Staff & Pricing Query?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:43 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

Hi All

Wonder if anyone has had a similar experience when calling the call centre that I had a short while ago? To make it clear, I am not having a swipe at the Customer Service agent or a general grumble, he was actually quite pleasant, just wondering if this situation is the norm and should I HUACA.

Got my return flight PEK-DXB-GLA in a couple of months time. Booked in Y but seriously considering paying to upgrade my ticket. Called the call centre to enquire how much to upgrade, and whilst waiting, the agent was doing a LOT of mumbling down the phone (calculating the fare etc.) and came back with a price of £505 .

I was expecting more and the surprise in my voice must have taken him aback and I got the impression that he thought that I thought that was too much so he decided to go though the mumbling and calculating again and after a few minutes came back with a new price of £1037.50 . Told him I would think about it and thanked him for his help.

Being a relative EK newbie, I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with vastly varying prices within the space of 5 minutes.

I wouldn't even attempt to second guess the dark arts of airline ticket pricing but just wondering, should I try again and see what entertaining figure I get? Can't imagine what would have happened had I just said yes to the first figure in a calm manner. Possibly found myself with an invalid ticket .

Out of interest, I've asked my Corporate TA to see what they come back with....

The dark arts

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:46 pm

Not on the phone, but on the website of all places!

Now I know who they targeted the "fare hold" feature at...people like me, haha!

Ended up with a price differential of 1k GBP Still, I always advocate HUCA with EKs call centers. Did you try pricing the upgrade through the EK website? Or is it a travel agent ticket?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:55 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Not on the phone, but on the website of all places!

Now I know who they targeted the "fare hold" feature at...people like me, haha!

Ended up with a price differential of 1k GBP Still, I always advocate HUCA with EKs call centers. Did you try pricing the upgrade through the EK website? Or is it a travel agent ticket?
Unfortunately a TA ticket so have to call EK or wait and see what my TA comes back with. The more I'm sitting thinking about it, the more I'm inclined to phone up again (soon) and just book it then sods law tells me my TA will get back with an even better price.

I'll hang off (at least I'll try my hardest) for a couple of days .

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Aug 24, 2015, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Saltire74
Unfortunately a TA ticket so have to call EK or wait and see what my TA comes back with. The more I'm sitting thinking about it, the more I'm inclined to phone up again (soon) and just book it then sods law tells me my TA will get back with an even better price.

I'll hang off (at least I'll try my hardest) for a couple of days .

Safe & Happy Travels

S
In that case, you should probably make all changes via your travel agent to avoid any problems!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: Skywards
In that case, you should probably make all changes via your travel agent to avoid any problems!
If your outbound is already flown the will change your ticket otherwise you have to change via travel agent.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:13 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Result. Contacted the Corporate TA who came up with the goods. £750 to upgrade PEK-GLA ^^. Happy with that and all changes confirmed. Seats chosen, chauffeur service booked so shouldn't have to sweat about the thought of sitting down the back on a 77W .

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:25 am

Result. Contacted the Corporate TA who came up with the goods. £750 to upgrade PEK-GLA ^^. Happy with that and all changes confirmed. Seats chosen, chauffeur service booked so shouldn't have to sweat about the thought of sitting down the back on a 77W .

Safe & Happy Travels

S
It's not all that bad down the back of a 77W - the gossip galley is very inviting
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:44 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

It's not all that bad down the back of a 77W - the gossip galley is very inviting
At 6'3" and built like a brick s88t house, my wandering on my GLA-DXB flight took me towards the back and it didn't look very inviting for someone my size

S
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:47 am

At 6'3" and built like a brick s88t house, my wandering on my GLA-DXB flight took me towards the back and it didn't look very inviting for someone my size

S
Serious response - the 2-4-2 config are from 47 backwards (46 has solid armrests) are probably the best seats if you ever find yourself in the back of a 77W.

Not-so-serious response - don't even both sitting down for most of the flight and go and chat with crew and pax in the rear galley
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:59 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Serious response - the 2-4-2 config are from 47 backwards (46 has solid armrests) are probably the best seats if you ever find yourself in the back of a 77W.

Not-so-serious response - don't even both sitting down for most of the flight and go and chat with crew and pax in the rear galley
I'll remember the seat choices for the next time ^^.

May just wander down the back and have a natter anyway

All the best

S
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:12 am

I'll remember the seat choices for the next time ^^.

May just wander down the back and have a natter anyway

All the best

S
The J galley on a 77W is also a good place for chatting!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

S
I'm 6'3" and built like a brick donut. I've never had a problem. The pitch is fine, but the seats a a little narrow.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Don't do that if you don't like turbulence... the back seems to get tossed around quite a bit.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Don't do that if you don't like turbulence... the back seems to get tossed around quite a bit.
True true, one person's turbulence is another's roller-coaster ride
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
If it's a 77w the wife won't go further than row 2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.