Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK to launch PTY - Longest flight in the world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond

Ref: http://airlineroute.net/2015/08/13/ek-pty-feb16/

Posted at 0520GMT 13AUG15

Emirates from 01FEB16 will begin service to Central America, with the launch of daily Dubai – Panama City operation on non-stop basis. The flight will be operated by Boeing 777-200LR aircraft on daily basis, becoming the world’s longest nonstop flight in terms of distance and one-way flying time.

Reservation for this route opened after 0400/0500hrs GMT 13AUG15.

EK251 DXB0805 – 1640PTY 77L D
EK252 PTY2230 – 2315+1DXB 77L D

Operational flight distance is 8580 miles, 11 miles longer than QANTAS’ Sydney – Dallas route (8569 miles). Flying time for EK251 is 17hrs 35mins, EK252 is 15hrs 45mins. EK251 will be 20-25 minutes longer than existing DELTA’s westbound service from Dubai to Atlanta, 40 minutes longer then DELTA’s Northbound service from Johannesburg to Atlanta. Data is based published schedule, actual operational time may vary.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:38 am
bsd

Programs: UA 1MM, NZ Gold Elite
Interesting route for this flight, assuming it follows the great circle between DXB and PTY. On a quick look, it seemed very close to Israel, but further investigation shows it actually crosses Lebanon, after crossing Syria and Iraq. That is, ISIS-held territory. Given those considerations, the operational flight distance might be more than the great circle distance.

If/when EK start flights to Bogota, then the shortest flight path is over Israel. Do EK have overfly rights for Israel?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Wouldn't they just head west over Saudi Arabia and North Africa (maybe do a little detour over Libya)? Otherwise, they could just cross over the Sinai (avoid Israeli airspace) and continue over the Mediterranean...
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
would only consider this in F
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Heck...throw in boarding and taxi at DXB and PTY, this can be easily a 19h butt in seat.
In Y you gotta have a strong motivation..
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
According to GCMap it's a scant 10 miles longer then the current record holder SYD-DFW.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Heck...throw in boarding and taxi at DXB and PTY, this can be easily a 19h butt in seat.
Nothing compared to the bamboo that your boss might shove up your butt all week long. Anything to get away from work even in Y ....
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by jackiedada
Nothing compared to the bamboo that your boss might shove up your butt all week long. Anything to get away from work even in Y ....
1+
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: SAS EBD, QR Platinumr, HH Gold, Intercont Platinum Ambassador,CC Gold
1) Leave the company
2) Get a new job that pays for at least J/C
3) Enjoy 19+ hours in-peace !
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: SAS EBD, QR Platinumr, HH Gold, Intercont Platinum Ambassador,CC Gold
I fancy PTY-Panama city, however joining from a European city, I would strongly advice the UAE lounges to provide something like this;
http://www.solutions-recovery.com/Ad...ohol-help.html
Speaking as a normal Norwegian citizen, lounge OSL, flight to DXB, lounge DXB, flight to PTY, that is close to 36 hours, and we count every 6 hours as "one-party".
To give an example - OSL-CPH-SFO (3 parties, 2 hangovers).
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I would only do flights that long in J or F.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:06 am

Couldn't agree more. The route is super convenient though for people wanting to travel to Latin America without the hassle of clearing immigration in the USA even while on transit.

Did a 15 hour round trip in Y once before on CX. Brutal. Glad I can sit in J on this one.

Last edited by LifeontheBeach; Aug 14, 2015 at 2:12 am
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, IHG Rewards Club
I guess some people (especially young people) would love to travel it also in Y, just better then not travel at all But Y fares may be also to high for them...we are just spoiled.:>
Some are travelling 12+hrs by trains without even seat place.

Did SYD-DXB in Y in 2008, was perfectly ok for me (but it was on return from my first ever trip outside Europe, now I'm a bit more spoiled by EK J....)
and then DXB-LGW in Y, where I was really sorry that it's end and we have to leave the airplane
my benchmark was WizzAir (LCC) and trains in Poland - comparing with it Emirates Y is top of luxury

edit: and the vegetable wrap handed to me in the middle of the night somewhere over Indian Ocean is still remembered as best food I ever had on airplane (although I later was travelling sometimes in J and twice in F) - probably the situation of first long travel made it
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:42 pm

Anyone knows where the most passengers of this flight will come from (India due to communities in Carribean Sea?) and where they will go further from PTY?

Is there a Code-Share with Copa Airlines in place right now? They cover Middle America very well.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by EK77W
Anyone knows where the most passengers of this flight will come from (India due to communities in Carribean Sea?) and where they will go further from PTY?

Is there a Code-Share with Copa Airlines in place right now? They cover Middle America very well.
PTY is rapidly expanding as a financial center and a logistics hub. I'd say a lot of business travellers from Europe and Middle east should be interested in this route.

Getting there from Europe is not that easy: AFAIK a couple of Airlines including Iberia serve that destination.

From PTY, there is always Mexico (including Cancun/Mayan riviera) and Peru (including Machhu Pichhu) as other nearby tourist destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.