Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

1 hour 15 minute int'l connection DXB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:38 am
Original Poster

CPT-DXB-BOS-RDU American citizens, flying coach.

Our Dec 3rd flight from CPT to DXB arrives at 01:15. Our flight to BOS departs at 02:40. All flights are on the same Emirates ticket.

Is it even remotely possible to make this connection??????

- We don't care if our checked bags makes it home with us or not (we probably will only have carry on anyway)
- Our layover in BOS is more than 4 hours.
- There is another DBX-BOS flight at 8:40 with a connection to RDU. It was a longer layover, arrived late into RDU and was more expensive. Hence, I booked the shorter, cheaper flight.
- There are additional later flights that go through JFK.
- We have no real status with any FF program.
- We have already purchased trip insurance that has some trip interruption coverage.
- We are retired, no need to get back exactly on time.

We're used to Delta, who has always taken care of us with no additional costs when we've missed connections for ANY reason (including weather). We had to cover our hotel bill, of course, but they didn't charge us extra for our new tickets. And always got us out within 24 hours.

But I'm reading some horror stories online about Emirates when you miss a connection.

What do you experienced folks think?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by jkgourmet
CPT-DXB-BOS-RDU American citizens, flying coach.

Our Dec 3rd flight from CPT to DXB arrives at 01:15. Our flight to BOS departs at 02:40. All flights are on the same Emirates ticket.

Is it even remotely possible to make this connection??????

- We don't care if our checked bags makes it home with us or not (we probably will only have carry on anyway)
- Our layover in BOS is more than 4 hours.
- There is another DBX-BOS flight at 8:40 with a connection to RDU. It was a longer layover, arrived late into RDU and was more expensive. Hence, I booked the shorter, cheaper flight.
- There are additional later flights that go through JFK.
- We have no real status with any FF program.
- We have already purchased trip insurance that has some trip interruption coverage.
- We are retired, no need to get back exactly on time.

We're used to Delta, who has always taken care of us with no additional costs when we've missed connections for ANY reason (including weather). We had to cover our hotel bill, of course, but they didn't charge us extra for our new tickets. And always got us out within 24 hours.

But I'm reading some horror stories online about Emirates when you miss a connection.

What do you experienced folks think?
Never done this routing however had one time a connection with 1h15 and it worked out. As I can see from your other post, everything is on 1 ticket and a thru fare so if you should miss your connection due to delay i.e from the CPT-DXB flight they will rebook you free of charge to the next flight or find a "good" solution (like rebook you to the JFK flight and rebook also your connection flight with Jetblue as this is also on the same ticket/fare)

Don't worry too much, there are a lot of stories in the web (of course you will have some problems with separate tickets etc, but this in here not the case).

I am sure others can help, not sure if you have to do kinda like a preclearance for the US flights in DXB.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:24 am

DXB is a very efficient airport so I imagine if your flights arrive and depart the same terminal you shouldn't have an issue. And as there are other flights to BOS and JFK after yours, if there is a missed connection you'll have better luck getting on those than if you were supposed to leave on the last flight of the day.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I would not be too worried, as I said in your other post, DXB works very efficiently, and you'll be shuttled to the next flight quickly. If you do miss it, they'll put you on the next flight (which may be the next day, in which case you'll likely get a hotel).

A friendly note: please keep all of these questions in one thread, rather than three. The moderators (and end-users) like it that way!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:43 pm

If flights are as scheduled, you will make the connection fine, with baggage.

If however, CPT-DXB is delayed then you will be put on the flight to BOS. If you are lucky or unlucky depending on your point of view, you might be rerouted through other airports such as via JFK. Assuming this is all on one ticket, this will all be free of charge (to RDU) and if you have a long time between your next departure (6hr in F/J, 8hr in Y) you will be given a hotel room in DXB. Otherwise EK will get you to the final destination on the ticket you have with them.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Have done tighter connections (due to delay because drunk passenger on inbound was offloaded) and managed a shower in the lounge.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:06 pm

agree, I've had inbound connections delayed before that reduced my transit to 25min, many people still boarded after me!

Also, the 1-3am US east coast wave of flights are apparently notorious according the crew for going out late due to the flights being held for incoming connecting pax - I've only done it once and it was held for many incoming connections

75min, no problem!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: EK Gold
...But then there was the time I had about ten minutes more than you on a connecting flight and they said I had missed it.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Have managed a shower in the lounge with a similar transit. You should be fine.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
Have managed a shower in the lounge with a similar transit. You should be fine.
Yup. 90minutes gives me enough time to get to the lounge, have a drink, some food, and back down to the gate.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
You should be fine but if not you seem to have all the bases covered - single ticket, travel insurance, no pressing deadlines and a relaxed attitude Have a good trip.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
You should be fine but if not you seem to have all the bases covered - single ticket, travel insurance, no pressing deadlines and a relaxed attitude Have a good trip.
A recipe for IRROPS=fun
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
FYI 1 Hour 15 Minutes is the exact MCT in DXB.

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .20 1.00 1.00 1.15
OFFLINE .20 1.00 1.00 1.15

Last edited by Madone59; Jul 29, 2015 at 4:07 pm Reason: Corrected
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
FYI 1 Hour 15 Minutes is the exact MCT in DXB between two international (EK) flights.

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .20 1.00 1.00 1.15
OFFLINE .20 1.00 1.00 1.15
I hate to be that guy, but technically all of EKs flights are international In fact the only regular domestic flight at DXB is a cargo run to AUH!

As pomkiwi says, the OP has the most important thing to ensure all goes smoothly, a relaxed attitude
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
I hate to be that guy, but technically all of EKs flights are international In fact the only regular domestic flight at DXB is a cargo run to AUH!
You are correct. I have edited my post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.