Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:30 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
a - Skywards just announced a quite significant devaluation that's starting February 2015 which makes Skywards an even worse program than before. Earn/burn rates are horrible. Carrier surcharges are worse than BA. If you have other uses for AS miles, then I would credit there as pretty much the only benefit for Skywards would be to earn status for benefits like lounge access or to use miles to upgrade sectors. Flying Business, the only real incremental benefits would occur at Platinum status, which would take you 4-5 round trips West Coast - Asia in Flex J. 5 if you fly "flex" or 4 if you fly "Full-fare" as in J fare bucket. I presume you would fly "flex"

b - Status matching is unpublished and generally is happening ex-USA, if at all. YMMV. Best advice is to contact a USA based sales office with your details.

c - I pretty much can't sell you on the programme: I think most posters here think it is just a bad programme. EK don't seem to use the program as a tool to attract customers or retain them, they wish to compete on things such as frequency and product instead. As mentioned above, the only reasons to credit to EK over AS, especially if you are US based and have different redemption options for the AS miles, is for the space available instant mileage upgrades for each sector, having a travel schedule that lets me get to Platinum (note, not actively moving travel patterns to get platinum) and a distant third, if I am travelling to Australia a lot, the reciprocal benefits with QF status.
Thanks, actually NOT USA based but AMS based. But, I think you have pretty much confirmed I should credit to Alaska. Seems, even if a status-match is available (ex-AMS) it wouldn't really be worth much if you were flying business class already.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
We have little problem. We had in mind that we'll do online check-in but now we found out that we won't be able to print boarding pass. Can we still do it and come on online check-in counter? Until now we allways printed boarding pass and had no problems.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by TM78
We have little problem. We had in mind that we'll do online check-in but now we found out that we won't be able to print boarding pass. Can we still do it and come on online check-in counter? Until now we allways printed boarding pass and had no problems.
Don't worry so much. I would simply queue at the normal checkin in case the queue looks shortish, and in case it's long, would go for the web checkin/baggage drop one.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by dfwrob
Hi. Upgrade question. Wife, baby, and myself are flying HRE-DFW 4 Feb with a return on 4 March in paid J. Right now the only DXB-DFW-DXB leg available for upgrade to first class is on the return. For the 3 of us I'm being shown a total of 141,750 miles for the DFW-DXB leg. My question is are there is any possible ways this upgrade could end up be any cheaper? I know we wont be op-upped because there are 2 adults with a baby so I'm just exploring if there is something other than using the miles now.
The only way you can get a cheaper upgrade than that is if they email you a special offer. Which might not happen, especially for all three of you. If you want the upgrade, I'd advise you to take it now before those seats disappear.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
The only way you can get a cheaper upgrade than that is if they email you a special offer. Which might not happen, especially for all three of you. If you want the upgrade, I'd advise you to take it now before those seats disappear.
Thank you eternaltransit. Think I will go ahead and do that. The DXB-DFW leg is showing not available for upgrades now, what do you think the chances are that they would open up later?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by dfwrob
Thank you eternaltransit. Think I will go ahead and do that. The DXB-DFW leg is showing not available for upgrades now, what do you think the chances are that they would open up later?
I'm not too familiar with the route - I'd imagine they keep revenue available until the last minute then open it up as it's a route they would want to make $$$$ on (need to). Perhaps a regular can let us know how busy it usually is. As you are EK Gold you can upgrade on a space-available basis once you get on board (that includes updating your party as well).
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Don't worry so much. I would simply queue at the normal checkin in case the queue looks shortish, and in case it's long, would go for the web checkin/baggage drop one.
Thank you for good idea.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
a - Skywards just announced a quite significant devaluation that's starting February 2015 which makes Skywards an even worse program than before. Earn/burn rates are horrible. Carrier surcharges are worse than BA.
Yikes! This makes me want to consider dropping EK for One World. I just wish Etihad was part of One World - but I guess I'll be funneling all my points into One World airlines instead of Emirates, which is a shame.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: Skywards
Couples in business vs first? 777

Hi
First time in the Emirates forum, we usually fly Oneworld due to my partners work generated miles and status.

We are planning a special trip to the Seychelles ex Dublin and having watched a lot of videos I cant shake the feeling that the J seats are more conducive to couples chatting and enjoying the trip together compared to First class. The suites seem very isolating?

Is this the case or are the videos giving a distorted view?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Neiltoo
Hi
First time in the Emirates forum, we usually fly Oneworld due to my partners work generated miles and status.

We are planning a special trip to the Seychelles ex Dublin and having watched a lot of videos I cant shake the feeling that the J seats are more conducive to couples chatting and enjoying the trip together compared to First class. The suites seem very isolating?

Is this the case or are the videos giving a distorted view?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Don't worry - choose the middle two seats in the suites-equipped cabins (E/F seats) and they have a retractable wall, making it easy to enjoy the trip together.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by TM78
I used to do this all the time (before I got status and check in at business class desk) for return flights as it's not worth messing about with hotel business centres to print boarding pass.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:30 am

I'm thinking of flying MEL-AKL in F and see a price of around $1200AUD. I don't know if this is considered a low, average, high price for the route.

Ideally, if course, I'd like to fly on an award ticket. I see Alaska miles are only good from the US and Japan miles are only good for round trips.

Is there another program where I can earn some quick signup/bonus miles and burn them for this flight?

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:07 am

Hi! I am going to book a return flight from BUD to BKK with a 23hr layover in DXB. Can I get a complimentary airport hotel accomodation for 1 night? Turkish Airlines offer free hotel in similar case, thats why I ask. I travel on economy.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Spaceship89
Hi! I am going to book a return flight from BUD to BKK with a 23hr layover in DXB. Can I get a complimentary airport hotel accomodation for 1 night? Turkish Airlines offer free hotel in similar case, thats why I ask. I travel on economy.
No.

Free stopover hotel will only be offered if you take the shortest connection offered.

http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...i-connect.aspx
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Spaceship89
Also as you are travelling in economy, it's only offered if you also book a fare that isn't one of the special offer ones - that is, there is a minimum fare that varies from route to route that you have to spend to have it offered.

BKK has 6 flights a day, so it's quite rare to have Dubai Connect offered in economy unless it's peak season, which is just coming to an end...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.