Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duty free question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Question Duty free question

Quick question, at what point is it OK to buy Duty free with Emirates and what are their policies with it in Dubai as a Friend told me they bought wine in Dubai while flying with Emirates and it was taken away from them?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by ribby
Quick question, at what point is it OK to buy Duty free with Emirates and what are their policies with it in Dubai as a Friend told me they bought wine in Dubai while flying with Emirates and it was taken away from them?
Can buy Duty Free after you have passed security or immigration, depending on your destination. Is the question about Duty Free limits, or whether your friend was bringing through a bottle over 100ml through transit security not in a transparent bag or Duty Free liquids not placed in a sealed tamper proof bag, which is therefore liable for confiscation and thrown away?

This page may give you more details:
http://www.emirates.com/english/help...-cabin-baggage
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
I know people who have carried duty free liquids through DXB.
If they are in STEBS bags (secure tamper free evident bags) I understand there is no problem.
It's when people don't have them in the STEBS bag they're confiscated.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
This is why people ask you where you are going.... If Dubai is your final destination you don't need a sealed bag (assuming you haven't commuted from somewhere else).

You can take 5 bottles each (wine) into Dxb. I often massively exceed this and they don't seem to care for my drinking habits.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:13 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
They will take it away at customs if you are entering from landside to airside but if you are already in transit or airside and departing then no issues.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:44 am
Original Poster

we are going to Sydney initially then on to Nz a week later then back to Heathrow , England

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.