Search

Emirates cockpit visits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club Silver
Emirates cockpit visits

Hi All,

I've got a big trip planned in Feb with Emirates: AKL-SYD-DXB-BRU (Y class) and I was hoping during one of these legs to visit the cockpit to have a peak and a quick chat with the pilots either on the ground or if possible en route.

I know some airlines still do this kind of at their discretion / slightly frowned upon depending on regulations, however does anyone have any advice on how best to approach the cabin crew about this request and what I might be able to do to improve my odds?

Of course would love for anyone who has had such an xp to share it as well!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:58 pm

Won't be possible during flight but you may have a chance pre or post flight (post is better) - ask one of the crew members to ask the flight deck for you.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: Skywards, Airpoints
I approached the flight attendant who was serving our area as they were serving breakfast - this was on SYD-DXB so toward the end - who then contacted the Purser. I had to wait around for others to deplane but got to spend a good few minutes / ask a few questions at the end.

Granted, I was younger at the time but still worth a try! Just display an interest.

Cheers
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Last year I asked upon deplaning and I was allowed to visit the flightdeck of the B77W. Crew offered to take my picture in the FO seat.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Crew offered to take my picture in the FO seat.
^^^^

Should have been Captain's seat, though!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I think it's a great shame that mid-flight cockpit visits have become a no-no. It's often said that the terrorists must never be allowed to 'win', but the reality is that that they have caused permanent restrictions affecting so many aspects of our daily life.

I lived for a number of years in Bahrain (pre 9/11) and had many opportunities back then to spend quite a bit of time in the cockpit, and was often permitted to stay there for landings too.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by subject2load
I think it's a great shame that mid-flight cockpit visits have become a no-no. It's often said that the terrorists must never be allowed to 'win', but the reality is that that they have caused permanent restrictions affecting so many aspects of our daily life.

I lived for a number of years in Bahrain (pre 9/11) and had many opportunities back then to spend quite a bit of time in the cockpit, and was often permitted to stay there for landings too.
Very small price to pay. The reality is with the size of planes nd number of passengers if it were allowed it would have to be restricted somehow.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Last year I asked upon deplaning and I was allowed to visit the flightdeck of the B77W. Crew offered to take my picture in the FO seat.
Aww, I wish I would have thought of that for my flight this afternoon

Well good for you that you got a picture in the cockpit
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Wouldn't let me sit in either seat when I asked
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Well, the crew did ask me not to publish the photo on Facebook or such. Perhaps is is not really allowed to sit in a pilots seat?
But a quick look shouldn't be a problem as I have been granted a peek in the flight deck on multiple airlines without a problem.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by scanman24
I approached the flight attendant who was serving our area as they were serving breakfast - this was on SYD-DXB so toward the end - who then contacted the Purser. I had to wait around for others to deplane but got to spend a good few minutes / ask a few questions at the end.

Granted, I was younger at the time but still worth a try! Just display an interest.

Cheers
Awesome! I'll make sure to look on my most "youthful" appearance for the occasion!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
I normally ask at the end of the flight.
If there have not so much work load, no problem at all, they let you get in
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:28 am

According to company regulations, pax are not allowed in the flight deck at any time. However, depending on the captain, you may get lucky and get invited in.

If you want to increase your chances:

-ask the Purser, not other crew. They are the ones who interact with the Captain.

-bring your kid (it's much harder to say no to a kid, and parents also benefit from the visit)

-ask for a visit after arrival (Pilots are busy pre-departure and company frowns on interruptions, even from crew.)

Don't ask for a picture with the pilots. They will not want exposure due to company regulations. But a picture of you or your kid is not a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.