Paid upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:40 pm
formerly known as lady1964
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Paid upgrade

Evening all,

I'm new to this forum having wandered over from the BA one, travelling on Emirates next May for the first time in over 20 years!

We've booked a short break with economy flights included. My hubby has asked me to find out about the cost of upgrading to business class. I can't do this online so will try to phone them in the next day or two.

However, someone at work, who visits Dubai a couple of times a year has suggested asking at LGW when we arrive there & not doing online check in prior to arriving at the airport.

Really I suppose I'm looking for the best advice, should I call, should I wait to see if an upgrade offer comes our way via email or do as work colleague suggests?

Thanks in advance. Oh, I do realise there is plenty of time, we fly on the 26th May on the EK10 if that helps :-)
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi there, you don't say what your actual destination is, but am assuming (based on the reference to your work colleague) that it's Dubai.

As regards best strategy .....hmm ....the advice would really depend on just how keen you are to travel in business class. If you're VERY keen, then the only surefire way is to buy J class tickets whilst there is space available. Emirates flights out of London do have strong loads, and it's certainly not unheard of for the J class cabin to be 100% full (although numbers out of LGW are generally lighter than LHR).

Email offers do appear from time to time, but there is no clear pattern and it would be virtually impossible to predict in advance your likelihood of receiving one. AFAIK, you do at least need to sign up to Skywards to be in with a chance.

Yes, there are also times when reduced cost upgrades can be offered at check-in ; but again, no certainty on this.

Finally, worth bearing in mind just what sort of cost might be involved in upgrading to business if no offers come through. By way of example, the current batch of 'featured fares' promoted on the EK website would get you an economy return LGW-DXB for around £383 departing next May, whereas business class would be £1929. So ....for two of you.....the difference to be considered is around £3k, or £766 v £3858.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Despite it being half term 26 may is a Tuesday so I doubt it will go full in j although most flights ex the uk seem to go very full in j these days.

As said the only way to gurantee is to pay now or you can chose to hold out for an email offer or ask at check in.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated.

Hubby really does want to try their business class, I'd like to but not at an additional £3k, I'd rather fly economy & be more relaxed about spending the money on the holiday, not on getting there!

Will pass on the advice & go from there.

Thanks again
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Yes, the cold numbers do concentrate the mind somewhat LadyB.

I'll run the risk of being accused of making sexist remarks on this (but it's the festive season, so who cares ....) : just think of all the shopping you could do in those flashy Dubai malls with £3K, versus the cost of a bigger seat for around 6.5 hours spent in a metal tube .....!!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by subject2load
Yes, the cold numbers do concentrate the mind somewhat LadyB.

I'll run the risk of being accused of making sexist remarks on this (but it's the festive season, so who cares ....) : just think of all the shopping you could do in those flashy Dubai malls with £3K, versus the cost of a bigger seat for around 6.5 hours spent in a metal tube .....!!
Not in the slightest bit sexist!

My hubby's worst nightmare would be me hitting the malls in Dubai but £3k would be a great amount in the gold souk

I'm going to read reviews of Y seats too as although I'm sure Business on EK is great, it's a huge price difference & not one I can personally justify for a short-ish flight. Besides the shopping, we'll no doubt need plenty for our beverages and other essentials
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by LadyB
Not in the slightest bit sexist!

My hubby's worst nightmare would be me hitting the malls in Dubai but £3k would be a great amount in the gold souk

I'm going to read reviews of Y seats too as although I'm sure Business on EK is great, it's a huge price difference & not one I can personally justify for a short-ish flight. Besides the shopping, we'll no doubt need plenty for our beverages and other essentials
3k would also be a week in a nice suite at an excellent hotel, rather than a "suite" on a plane
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: NH-SFC, SQ, UA, JL- JGC/Sapphire, AA, DL, IHG-Gold, SPG-Gold, Marriott-gold
Quite true
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:34 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

If it's the A380 flight, then Y isn't too bad at all. Try and get as far forward on the lower deck as possible.

The 777 flights are a bit tight, but I've never had too much of an issue (and I'm a fat knacker).
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, very kind of you all.

I've joined the EK programme now and looked at seating plans. We are on the A380 outbound so will consider the advice given on seats. I'm going to wait until after Xmas to make any further enquiries on upgrade costs.

Thanks again, I may be back with more questions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.