Wiki Posts
Search

EK 18 3rd Sept Delayed 3 hours

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG

Boarding delayed 20 mins and then we sat on runway for two and a half hours. First problem was rear cargo door. Second was front.

Inevitably most people missed connections.

I wasn't happy that Sydney flight leaving at 2.45 (or so people behind me said) were rushed through to catch it but Colombo leaving at same time were bumped. Think I was the only person with status as they gave me my new boarding pass fist and said you can go to the lounge now.

Managed an hour and a half sleep in the so called quiet lounge in B (not much point in it being quiet if people listen to music with no headphones and you can hear music from concourse below).

Fingers crossed for an op up but not holding much hope.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
Boarding delayed 20 mins and then we sat on runway for two and a half hours. First problem was rear cargo door. Second was front.

Inevitably most people missed connections.

I wasn't happy that Sydney flight leaving at 2.45 (or so people behind me said) were rushed through to catch it but Colombo leaving at same time were bumped. Think I was the only person with status as they gave me my new boarding pass fist and said you can go to the lounge now.

Managed an hour and a half sleep in the so called quiet lounge in B (not much point in it being quiet if people listen to music with no headphones and you can hear music from concourse below).

Fingers crossed for an op up but not holding much hope.
My parents had an 8 hour delay on ek18 last year, 15k miles comp! Tried eu261 and the refused to budge without them taking action.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:06 am

A lot of factors are considered when holding flights for delays.

- number of connecting passengers
- availability to reaccommodate passengers on later flights
- knock on consequences of delaying an onward aircraft. Although SYD has curfew restrictions, the aircraft overnights before returning at 06:00. Whereas CMB flight returns straight back (or continues to MLE or SIN respectively).
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:14 am
Original Poster

And it gets worse...

No luggage (about 60 or 70 people had no bags) so 2 hrs trying to sort that. And not sure what use $50 is (only offered to people who asked) to get business dress at 6pm at night.

Husband is looking at EU & will do the claim for me. Fully expect Emirates to try to wriggle out of it but don't mind going though s
mall claims etc.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
And not sure what use $50 is (only offered to people who asked) to get business dress at 6pm at night.
I've seen them offering the same to pax at BOM whose luggage had not arrived, and then only if you went and argued with them at the EK office at the airport.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:51 am

No luggage (about 60 or 70 people had no bags) so 2 hrs trying to sort that. And not sure what use $50 is (only offered to people who asked) to get business dress at 6pm at night.

Husband is looking at EU & will do the claim for me. Fully expect Emirates to try to wriggle out of it but don't mind going though s
mall claims etc.
was this in DXB? Touch wood EK haven't managed to lose a bag of mine yet.

Not sure what the minimum delay time is for 261 but you will have to go to small claims, they won't pay out otherwise.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:19 am
Original Poster

No bags made it to DXB they say but not to CMB.

A fund had hers lost between Mumbai & Manchester and it took 3 weeks to find it. Not so bad on way home (as she was) but hideous on holiday or business outbound.

l'm sure they will try to wriggle out of it but l've done Small claims before so will do it (or rather husband will!)

Only downside I guess will be Opup blacklisting? But as I've slipped down to silver and little chance of getting gold due to changing nature of job, chances were slim anyway on status heavy routes.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:17 am

A fund had hers lost between Mumbai & Manchester and it took 3 weeks to find it. Not so bad on way home (as she was) but hideous on holiday or business outbound.

l'm sure they will try to wriggle out of it but l've done Small claims before so will do it (or rather husband will!)

Only downside I guess will be Opup blacklisting? But as I've slipped down to silver and little chance of getting gold due to changing nature of job, chances were slim anyway on status heavy routes.
How tight was the transfer?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Only downside I guess will be Opup blacklisting?
I doubt they would do that just because you are claiming your rights. But would be interesting to hear your experience if you do decide to go after EK through the small claims court.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:57 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Any insurance?

I always go to the insurance first, and let them sort it or with the airline.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red

How tight was the transfer?
Original transfer was 2 1/2 hours but inbound arrived 2 hours late. Was put onto flight leaving 5 1/2 hours after inbound arrived so no reason at all for bag not to make it. There must have been 70 people without bags so suspect it was just one container (esp. as we were late leavingdue to some delay with some cargo),

Vague promises made at CMB about already on their way / going onto next flight / will be here in 24 hours depending on who was telling you so suspect no-one knows where the bags ever are (none of the Manchester flight were on the 2 page list of missing bags.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:45 pm

I wasn't happy that Sydney flight leaving at 2.45 (or so people behind me said) were rushed through to catch it but Colombo leaving at same time were bumped. .

This is partly because EK414 needs to reach Sydney before the curfew at 23:00, hence the significance of an on-time departure.

The other reason would be purely commercial.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Original transfer was 2 1/2 hours but inbound arrived 2 hours late.

Vague promises made at CMB about already on their way / going onto next flight / will be here in 24 hours depending on who was telling you so suspect no-one knows where the bags ever are (none of the Manchester flight were on the 2 page list of missing bags.
Same here with our EK73 bags. Groundstaff totally lied as baggage didn't show up on next flight or later that night.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Got phone call this afternoon that bag is now in Colombo airport but 4 hours later still not got it.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Got phone call this afternoon that bag is now in Colombo airport but 4 hours later still not got it.
Happy for you HelloKittysMom! I wish that had been our scenario. I know Emirates will be getting a receipt for all our last minute wedding rentals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.