Wiki Posts
Search

DXB-SFO Meal Service on Economy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:46 am
Original Poster

DXB-SFO Meal Service on Economy

Hi,

Can anyone advise me when and what meals I should expect on DXB-SFO flight. Close to 16 hours and so this concern! Departure from DXB 08.20. Arrival SFO 13.10. I have requested AVML (Asian Veg).

Thank you.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Its breakfast followed by a snack and then lunch just few hrs before landing. From what I have seen and heard, AVML is pretty good on Emirates flights. And there would be snacks in between meals if you are hungry.

More info here:

http://cdn.ek.aero/downloads/ek/pdfs...d18f39813b3700
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by vikom
Hi,

Can anyone advise me when and what meals I should expect on DXB-SFO flight. Close to 16 hours and so this concern! Departure from DXB 08.20. Arrival SFO 13.10. I have requested AVML (Asian Veg).

Thank you.
See my TR's here. I am vegetarian as well.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23352889-post174.html

Click on the links on the above links LOL.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks... In my opinion very little meal service for a 16 hour flight! In Economy, is it possible to request the FA to defer our breakfast by a few hours?.. we would have likely had BF at our hotel at DXB before boarding
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by techblr
Its breakfast followed by a snack and then lunch just few hrs before landing. From what I have seen and heard, AVML is pretty good on Emirates flights. And there would be snacks in between meals if you are hungry.

More info here:

http://cdn.ek.aero/downloads/ek/pdfs...d18f39813b3700
Wow, thanks for that. Changing the URL gets me other menus. I'm flying SFO-DXB in business next year and was interested in seeing a sample menu. Curious that the business menu isn't too different than the first menu, other than the latter having more items.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:17 pm

Thanks... In my opinion very little meal service for a 16 hour flight! In Economy, is it possible to request the FA to defer our breakfast by a few hours?.. we would have likely had BF at our hotel at DXB before boarding
IMO the meal service is enough for a well grown adult. If your appetite is more than that, you can request for additional snacks. Usually the FAs are very friendly and would do the best they can.

I am not sure any airline would defer the meal service for Y-pax though. It just adds a lot of additional work for FAs. Even if you had breakfast at DXB, by the time you arrive at airport and then boarding n then taxing n then takeoff and then drink service and then meal service I'm sure you would be hungry by now..

If you are so concerned, I would suggest to carry some of your snacks on board. Good way to pass the time as well as to have something you like
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks techblr!

Maybe I am concerned more than others because I experience health issues if my food intake is insufficient. Of course, I shall be carrying my own snacks but nothing beats hot meals.

I have never been on long haul flights anywhere close to this duration, so I thought like a layman. Getting up on a flight at 8 in the morning and 16 hours to go: on any other usual day you would have 3 complete meals: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and maybe or maybe not some late afternoon snack... This is why I thought maybe the meal is inaqequate

Thanks.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:39 pm

Thanks techblr!

Maybe I am concerned more than others because I experience health issues if my food intake is insufficient. Of course, I shall be carrying my own snacks but nothing beats hot meals.

I have never been on long haul flights anywhere close to this duration, so I thought like a layman. Getting up on a flight at 8 in the morning and 16 hours to go: on any other usual day you would have 3 complete meals: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and maybe or maybe not some late afternoon snack... This is why I thought maybe the meal is inaqequate

Thanks.
I understand your concern. I travel almost twice a year TPAC/TATL on these 15-16 hr flights in Y and frankly my appetite is a bit more than normal person.

I have a nice meal before heading for airport and never had an issue with meals on these long-haul flights. As I said, there would be sufficient snacks provided in between meals and also lot of fluids as well. You should be fine on the meal front, surviving the 16hr journey in Y is another story all together. Good luck for that
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:27 pm

I personally feel the food quantity is sufficient on most flight. It feels insufficient maybe because there is nothing else to do and eating is just another way to kill time.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
As noted above, DXB-SFO in Y has three meal services: breakfast (hot), light meal (pizza) and lunch (hot). Basic snacks (biscuits, fruit) are available in the galley in between.

You're not burning as many calories and crew typically pass out water/juice pretty regularly and that takes up space too. Actual flight time is closer to 15 hours.

I'm a pretty healthy eater and don't usually find myself to be hungry.

Have some breakfast at the airport before departing and any snacks you bring along should fill the remaining time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.