Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates connecting to Al Italia in Rome- Check bags through?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver

Hi all,

I need to get to Ancona Italy, which will likely involve flying Emirates to Rome (from SIN via DXB of course), then flying Al Italia to AOI. I can't book it all on Emirates' site, but was wondering, if I were to book separate tickets, will I be able to check the bags through all the way?

If so, how do I do this? Bring a printout of the Al Italia itin to the Emirates check-in counter in SIN?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but somehow it's an issue I've never come across before. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:41 am

As you'll be entering the EU you'll be required to reclaim your bags in FCO any way. The way back should be ok though but you'll need to double check with AZ.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Can you fly Rome to Ancona? We travel there a lot from UK & drive from Rome.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:20 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by edy4eva
As you'll be entering the EU you'll be required to reclaim your bags in FCO any way. The way back should be ok though but you'll need to double check with AZ.
Is that correct? It's not an EU wide policy. I can fly XXX-LHR-MAN, and I won't see my bags until I get to MAN. Theoretically, I should then go through customs...
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Is that correct? It's not an EU wide policy. I can fly XXX-LHR-MAN, and I won't see my bags until I get to MAN. Theoretically, I should then go through customs...
I also do something similar and have not had to collect my bags till I reach my final destination ( DEL-DXB-LGW-XXX). I don't know whether this is because its part of the common travel area .
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
Can you fly Rome to Ancona? We travel there a lot from UK & drive from Rome.
Yep. I think 3 flights per day.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I also do something similar and have not had to collect my bags till I reach my final destination ( DEL-DXB-LGW-XXX). I don't know whether this is because its part of the common travel area .
Hmm... Seems odd that after an international flight to an intra-EU flight, you wouldn't have to go through customs as you enter the EU. How do they know who on the final plane is intra-EU vs international (from outside of the EU, to be more correct)?

I'll need to do some digging and call the airlines involved I believe.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:42 am

Sorry, I was meant to say the Schengen area.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by paulyras
Hmm... Seems odd that after an international flight to an intra-EU flight, you wouldn't have to go through customs as you enter the EU. How do they know who on the final plane is intra-EU vs international (from outside of the EU, to be more correct)?

I'll need to do some digging and call the airlines involved I believe.
You have to go through immigration at the first point of entry, but not necessarily customs.

At MAN, you arrive in the domestic part. If you have anything to declare, you need to phone a customs officer
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I second what DYKIA has mentioned. You clear immigration at the first point of entry and clear customs at the last airport.( if your bags are checked all the way through to the last airport). This means that in the smaller airports it 'could ' be a telephone call.

However I have been told that customs at MAN can distinguish between bags which have arrived on an internal flight (Say from LHR)and bags that are from outside the EU (and directly transferred to the new flight at LHR) even if they all arrive on the same aircraft.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:06 pm

Agree with most of the above - you won't see bags until your final destination.

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
However I have been told that customs at MAN can distinguish between bags which have arrived on an internal flight (Say from LHR)and bags that are from outside the EU (and directly transferred to the new flight at LHR) even if they all arrive on the same aircraft.
The baggage tags give it away.

They will either have a green border or not. One means they came from outwith the EU and one from within the EU - I can never remember which is which.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:07 pm

If the journey started in the EU the label will have a green border which means you can use the Blue channel at customs if you have nothing to declare.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
If the journey started in the EU the label will have a green border which means you can use the Blue channel at customs if you have nothing to declare.
I knew someone would know what way round it was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.