Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Rules Out Stake in Qantas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium

I looked and don't think that I saw anything mentioned here or in the QF forum.

Last week, the Australian government relaxed Qantas' foreign ownership restrictions.

While Etihad has invested in a number of other airline, Emirates has confirmed that it is not looking to buy a stake in Qantas.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...t-qantas-stake
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Why would they since they already have them in their pockets...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
When rumours that British Airways wanted to increase its holding in Qantas began circulating, there was considerable hostility to this in Australia. Perhaps potential foreign investors are wary of this Australian economic nationalism when it comes to the country's national airline.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Seat64A
When rumours that British Airways wanted to increase its holding in Qantas began circulating, there was considerable hostility to this in Australia. Perhaps potential foreign investors are wary of this Australian economic nationalism when it comes to the country's national airline.
There was/would be extra resistance from a lot of Aussies to the 'mother country's' airline owning a stake in Qantas. (think Liverpool buying a stake in Man Utd). All jokes aside it is an emotive issue; Qantas is part of the national psyche and DNA.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:30 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by OzTennis
There was/would be extra resistance from a lot of Aussies to the 'mother country's' airline owning a stake in Qantas. (think Liverpool buying a stake in Man Utd). All jokes aside it is an emotive issue; Qantas is part of the national psyche and DNA.
Lets be clear - its not a part of the national psyche for every Aussie (me included). I havent set foot on QF international in 15-years nor do I intend to in the near future. If every Aussie was so enamoured with QF the brand, we would still all be flying them.

The investment issue still remains as a foreign entity can only own up to 49%. Savvy investors would want control, meaning they would want a board seat, 51% etc etc

Tim Clark is a wily old fox. No way he and the Sheik are going to invest in an airline crippled with labour issues and not be able to do anything about them.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

Totally agree. There would be limited benefit of investing vs the current arrangement except you would own an equity stake in a business you had no influence over. The only reason EY buys stakes in the airlines it does is because they are distressed and deeply discounted. If anyone wants to know what happens when you buy a minority stake in an airline look at Singapore / Virgin which was a terrible mistake for Singapore.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by jackiedada
Why would they since they already have them in their pockets...
Plus who wants such an unprofitable airline like QF with not a lot of assets these days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.