Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK J to DL J DXB transfer question?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals

Hello,

I believe this is probably the millionth post asking a transfer question for DXB, however, I did not come across something similar, so thought of clarifying my doubts. I have flown through DXB a couple of times, but always through T3, and it has always been a comfortable transfer. The last time I transferred, was with my parents, and it was from a QF F flight to an EK F flight, and there were EK meet-and-greet people waiting for us at the jetbridge, when we deplaned from our QF flight, and we were taken straight to the EK F lounge, and then to the EK aircraft. The whole process was very seamless.

However, THIS TIME, I am transferring from an EK J flight, arriving in T3 to a DL J flight departing from T1. These are two separate itineraries, with two completely different PNRs. I hold a gold medallion status with DL, however, I'm a peon with EK. My questions are:

1. Will EK check my bags through to my final destination, which is in the US?
2. Do I have to go through immigration at DXB?
3.If I do have to collect my bags and go through immigration, the whole shabaang, is the transfer time of about 4 hours sufficient?
4. Considering the above point, after collecting my checked bags, can I walk through T3 to reach T1, or do I need to go outside the terminal to catch one of those inter-terminal shuttles?
5. Is better to travel just with carry-ons (albeit uncomfortable, but I'll survive), given the transfer situation?
6. Lastly, and this is least important, given the transfer time of about 4 hours, will I have time to visit the lounge in T1?

Thank you so much, for any help.

P.S. Mods, please move the thread/posting to the correct forum/place if this has been discussed before.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Delta and EK seem to have an interline agreement so you should be able to check your bags all the way to the US.
http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...-partners.aspx
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackiedada
Delta and EK seem to have an interline agreement so you should be able to check your bags all the way to the US.
http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...-partners.aspx
Thank you jackiedada, for your response. Helps a lot!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Thank you jackiedada, for your response. Helps a lot!
Just to be doubly sure, you may want to confirm it with the EK call center. Apparently, American is listed as one of the Interline partners though EK seems to have terminated the agreement. See this thread for more.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...-carriers.html
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
1. As jackiedada says
2. You stay airside - pass through transfer security (as you would have done before).
3. Don't think it is necessary but 4 hours would be enough to clear immigration and customs and check-in for your next fight if it is.
4. You can walk between T3 and T1 - depending on which gates are involved it can feel quite a long way! (15-20 minutes if it isn't too crowded). Or there are buses...
5. Your call - no need if you can inter-line.
6. You should have loads of time.

Have a good trip.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Just to be doubly sure, you may want to confirm it with the EK call center. Apparently, American is listed as one of the Interline partners though EK seems to have terminated the agreement. See this thread for more.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...-carriers.html
Thank you for the info, jackiedada. I will call EK and find out.

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
1. As jackiedada says
2. You stay airside - pass through transfer security (as you would have done before).
3. Don't think it is necessary but 4 hours would be enough to clear immigration and customs and check-in for your next fight if it is.
4. You can walk between T3 and T1 - depending on which gates are involved it can feel quite a long way! (15-20 minutes if it isn't too crowded). Or there are buses...
5. Your call - no need if you can inter-line.
6. You should have loads of time.

Have a good trip.
Thanks pomkiwi. So, just to be clear, it is the same as transferring from an EK to EK or a QF to EK flight: You go through a transfer security and head straight to the lounge, right?
However, the last time, I had the BPs for my onward flight. But, given that EK won't be able to print out my DL boarding passes, does DL have a transfer counter airside, from where I will collect my onward BPs and FAST TRACK voucher/lounge pass?

Thank you all!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:36 pm

So, just to be clear, it is the same as transferring from an EK to EK or a QF to EK flight: You go through a transfer security and head straight to the lounge, right?
Exactly.
However, the last time, I had the BPs for my onward flight. But, given that EK won't be able to print out my DL boarding passes, does DL have a transfer counter airside, from where I will collect my onward BPs and FAST TRACK voucher/lounge pass?

Thank you all!
Can't you do OLCI with Delta - that way you can avoid the hassle of having a printed BP. Just FYI, transit security will not check your BP. You only need that to access the lounge/ board the flight.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Exactly.

Can't you do OLCI with Delta - that way you can avoid the hassle of having a printed BP. Just FYI, transit security will not check your BP. You only need that to access the lounge/ board the flight.
Oh yeah! Got it! Although I do OLCI for all flights, domestic or intn'l, I have the habit of picking up a real BP before every intn'l flight. I think it's just me, but I feel like it's an added layer of protection: letting the airline know that I am present at the airport and I am going to board the plane (so that they do not offload me saying I have not physically checked-in).

However, I know that it sounds really stupid, and I might just have to get over my paranoia and carry an OLCI BP with me this time. Haha.

Thank you for your suggestion. Appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.