Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Flights booked on my first A380 experience!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club, Skywards

Hooray!

Finally I get to fly on the A380. Flying out on EK8 from LHR to DXB. 9.10am and arrives in Dxb at 8pm.

Return leg is on EK5 on the 16.30 flight.

Couple of questions on these flights.

What meal service will we get on both legs? bfast, lunch or dinner? Even a snack?

The mrs is a veggie and do Emirates have plenty of veg meals on board or should i reserve a special meal? The only thing i have noticed on some airlines is if you book a special meal you don't get the normal nice things like the pudding or cheese and biscuits etc. They substitute them with odd puddings!

How does the boarding procedure work for Economy. Are they called out in rows? I am trying to select seats in the front cabin of economy if i can. So would that mean i get on the plane last but depart off it first? ^

Thanks in advance for replies! ^
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Also I forgot to ask... when selecting my seats in the booking manager, there are some seats highlighted in blue which say "Accessible for passengers with disabilities".

If I select one of these seats, could i be bumped if there is someone who needs these seats or should i just ignore this?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: Skywards
Ahhhhh, memories. My 1st A380 was a brilliant trip - got to witness a live mid-air fight between a drunk Scot and a German. Better than IFE IMHO. ^

Not sure about what you'll get on the specific flight you mention but theres usually one main meal (chicken/lamb/pre-booked special meal) and then a light snack before landing.

Personally, i'd reserve a veggie meal as you can always ask the crew for additional items from the standard trays (done it a few times - the famous EK chocs come in mind). Its the only thing I look forward to from the meal tray , best chocs ever! Never been let down by a FA asking for additional items, a wink usually does the trick

Re procedure - its usually row by row and is most likely to be this way from Heathrow. However, in Dubai you may be able to depart from the plane quickly as you'll most probably landing at the new terminal which is meant to be the mothership for A380's.

Have a good & safe trip!

p.s. i'd go to the Emirates website and choose my seats way in advance. Its pretty easy to do.

UPDATE:

yes, if you do choose the light blue bassinet seats - you may have to shift seats if the loads are busy for that type of pax
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Scotty.

Sounds like you had an eventful first flight! I bet you thought the film was great in 3d! lol

You might be right about the veggie meal for the mrs. I was wondering if veggie is a standard meal option on the LHR-DXB-LHR route? My wife always gets annoyed that i get a better pudding than her! ; )

Seats - not the bassinets which are the issue... on the seat map loads of seats are in blue for disabled passengers. But there are loads of them like that!

Row by row boarding... anyone with LHR experience? Do they start from the back?

Never knew I would have so many questions for a flight!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
They board disabled, then people with young children, skywards gold and silver and then general boarding by zone starting from the back. On a route with a lot of skywards gold/silver you may fimd aoy of seats ate already occupied by the time you board.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by avicov
Also I forgot to ask... when selecting my seats in the booking manager, there are some seats highlighted in blue which say "Accessible for passengers with disabilities".

If I select one of these seats, could i be bumped if there is someone who needs these seats or should i just ignore this?
I've never understood the exact meaning of what that means because the seat looks identical to every other seat in the cabin and I usually end up selecting one of those because by the time I end up booking my seats, those are the only ones available. And I've never been bumped off any of those (except for op-ups )

So go ahead and grab them - the front cabin is the best place to be...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackiedada
I've never understood the exact meaning of what that means because the seat looks identical to every other seat in the cabin and I usually end up selecting one of those because by the time I end up booking my seats, those are the only ones available. And I've never been bumped off any of those (except for op-ups )

So go ahead and grab them - the front cabin is the best place to be...
You are a skywards gold member by the looks of it! So explains the op ups!

But I will select the seats i want and not worry too much. Although it's just me and the mrs so was hoping to get some space. We are going to take 2 on the end of a 4 seater and hope it doesn't fill up apart from a 3rd person on the end to give some space.

Not sure if LHR flights go full especially the EK8 we are on.

P.S If i select my seats now, but change my mind later, can i keep moving seats on manage my booking till check in?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold
The light blue means the crew can put the armrest next to the aisle up so someone can slide across from a wheelchair if needed.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
EK8 is a light continental breakfast followed by full lunch service a couple of hours or so later.

EK5 is full meal followed by small snack before landing.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:15 pm

If i select my seats now, but change my mind later, can i keep moving seats on manage my booking till check in?
Yes.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tibs94
The light blue means the crew can put the armrest next to the aisle up so someone can slide across from a wheelchair if needed.
Oh I see... there are about 52 of those disabled seats... i think i will take my chances and book one of them. Should be enough spare if someone needs them
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkLHR
EK8 is a light continental breakfast followed by full lunch service a couple of hours or so later.

EK5 is full meal followed by small snack before landing.
That's brill. What do you normally get in the light continental breakfast? Croissant, yoghurt, juice?

Lunch sounds good

What is the snack on Ek5 normally?

P.S. Mark - you seem to know the route well. Does EK8 and EK5 normally go full in Economy? I wonder if we can spread out a little. I notice a lot of seats especially on the window 3 seater... people leave the middle seat free! .... clever!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
I know it well but in Business most of the time Yes, breakfast is juice, croissant and yoghurt. I think there may have been a packet of apple slices too.

If you tell me the dates, I can check expertflyer and tell you what the loads look like.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkLHR
I know it well but in Business most of the time Yes, breakfast is juice, croissant and yoghurt. I think there may have been a packet of apple slices too.

If you tell me the dates, I can check expertflyer and tell you what the loads look like.
I am heading to DXB on 28th Feb on EK8
Return is EK5 on 8th March

Cheers... please let me know your thoughts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
I am heading to DXB on 28th Feb on EK8
Return is EK5 on 8th March

Cheers... please let me know your thoughts
EK 0008:
P2 A2 J4 C4 I4 O7 Y7 E7 R7 W7 M7 B7 U7 K7 H7 Q7 L7 T7 V7 X7

EK 0005:
P4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O7 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 H9 Q9 L9 T9 V9 X9

But this is one month out. Wouldn't they fill up by then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.