Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about Emirates and the Skywards program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about Emirates you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/Emirates Skywards Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by Only4U
Hi UKdoctor,

I have been using Southall travels for the last 5 years, never had a problem, it comes has a surprise to me that they do this kind of things. How come they ask for a extra fare once the ticket is confirmed ??? After you do the payment online, they issue e-ticket, what if the customer decline to pay ???

Southall Travels is a popular agency with the ethnics group in uk, if they do this kind of bait, definetely it would have come to notice and at the same time, british citizens of south asian origin who are born and brought up here do book through them when visiting their home land and they are very well aware of the laws, isn'it ??

Would appreciate if you can shed some light on it

thanks.

You must have been incredibly lucky so far. I dont know how often you travel but I didnt have any problems initially. I fly around 30 -40 sectors on EK every year and hence there are more chances of things going wrong.As long as everything goes smoothly then you are okay.However if there are any issues with your flight ( if you have to make changes/ flight rescheduled etc) you are at their mercy. Just go on the internet and look for problems people have had with them. I have had major issues with them and so also a few of my friends .

PS:No sensible person in Southall or the surrounding regions use Southall travels . You have to wonder why.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:09 pm

Bar, Pjs, Luggage question

Good evening all,

I was first introduced to the mileage game in January and was fortunate enough to catch on fast enough to book 2 F tickets from DFW-DXB departing in a few week. At this time (according to ExpertFlyer) we are the only 2 in F. My questions:
1. Is it alright for us to walk around the airplane and visit the Business class and First class lounges/bars in our PJs? Or do we need to be fully dressed? If we are the only ones in the F class lounge/bar then I don't see any reason to be fully dressed.

2. The DFW EK lounge is the Airline Club Lounge. Any experiences with this lounge?

3. Has anyone had any issues with their carryon luggage not fitting in the bins? Suggestions on type of luggage NOT to bring.
Thanks so much!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
I believe that DFW to DXB to DFW is operated by a 777 and therefore there are no bars/lounges to visit on the aircraft. Those are the preserve of A380's only. As for taking a walk in your PJs, you would not be the first to do so so if you want to stretch your legs then feel free.

I have no experience of the Airline Club Lounge at DFW so cannot help there.

F in EK 777's do not have overhead bins but rather they have a place on the floor of the suite off to one side with a restraining rail that is large enough for an airline standard size roll aboard to fit snugly in. If a suite near you happens to be vacant then you will be able to do what many do and that is put it on the floor in there instead so it is easier to access if you have your seat substantially reclined. The cabin staff will also help you to stow an odd sized piece in a locker elsewhere if there is a problem with it fitting in the space provided within your suite.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi there QueenFlyer - as mrtdxb rightly says, the DFW/DXB route is currently served by a Boeing 777 LR.

However, that will change on October 1st, when the 777 is replaced by the A380, on board which there is indeed a bar/lounge area, located to the rear of business class on the upper deck. You say you are departing "in a few weeks" ....so perhaps that means sometime in October (?) in which case you will be able to enjoy the facilities of the larger aircraft.

As regards seating occupancy etc, worth remembering that expertflyer is no guarantee of how things will pan out on the actual day of the flight. It is possible (though very unlikely) that you might indeed be the only pax in the F cabin ; but either way, do bear in mind (wrt your query re PJ's !) that pax in business class also have access to the (main) bar area, so there will almost certainly be others present.

Have a good trip
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: AS MVP
Quick question. I just booked LHR-MEL with a combination of QF/EK in F. Why is it that I can't select any K side seats on QF A380? It doesn't even show up on the map.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by QueenFlyer
Good evening all,

2. The DFW EK lounge is the Airline Club Lounge. Any experiences with this lounge?
I am going DFW-DXB as well and when I looked this club up it seems to actually be The Club at DFW.
If that is correct then it is the same as the one in LAS and is a perfectly adequate club.

The one in LAS has great staff and although the food is not as good as international lounges it is adequate.

Here is a link:

http://www.theclubairportlounges.com/club-DFW.html

Priority Pass says this club is undergoing a major renovation but not sure of that is accurate or not.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Z availabilty

I want to upgrade from J to F (lhr-bkk 9/10/14), but there is no Z availabilty - I believe there is an app to alert me if any comes available but am technophobe enough to not be able to find it - any suggestions?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by stuie2210
...I believe there is an app to alert me if any comes available but am technophobe enough to not be able to find it - any suggestions?
http://www.expertflyer.com
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
thanks, got it
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
First time on Emirates - Business Class Redemption

Hey Y'all -

I've been shoveling points from Starwood account into EK account and am closing in on 300,000+.

Have never flown Emirates before, and am looking forward to redeeming a trip on an A380 business class from a US destination with a stopover in Dubai, and then either one or two cities in India and/or Tokyo before returning home. Obviously looking for "Saver" options to minimize points, and am flexible with dates. Some questions, please!

1. I'm assuming I should be looking at an East Coast gateway to avoid the Western US surcharges for airports closest to me (Houston and Dallas)? Which cities have the most inventory and fly A380s?

2. Does an award allow me to fly from US - DXB (with stopover) - (Indian Destination #1), and then fly back from (Indian Destination #2) - DXB - US? I want to maximize the cities on the trip; how best to do that?

3. Is booking award inventory on their site pretty straightforward? Is there a range of dates by calendar when you can see the cheapest aware availability (like on UA's site?)

4. Is anyone willing (for a fee or no fee) to work with me via email to help me book the trip?

Thanks in advance!
Robert
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonours, Club Carlson
Hi all, I have a question on behalf of the in-laws...I've never flown Emirates before so assume I know nothing!!
They're booked on a holiday to Thailand next year with emirates, EDI-AUH-BKK-HKT-AUH-EDI, all one ticket with Emirates, and all Emirates metal bar BKK-HKT.

Is there any benefit in them registering with Skywards in advance? Will it give them anything extra? They're got no further Emirates trips booked.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by coldfy
Hi all, I have a question on behalf of the in-laws...I've never flown Emirates before so assume I know nothing!!
They're booked on a holiday to Thailand next year with emirates, EDI-AUH-BKK-HKT-AUH-EDI, all one ticket with Emirates, and all Emirates metal bar BKK-HKT.

Is there any benefit in them registering with Skywards in advance? Will it give them anything extra? They're got no further Emirates trips booked.

Thanks in advance
If your in-laws are flying via AUH, they're most probably booked with Etihad, which is another airline from the United Arab Emirates, but has nothing to do with Emirates. They've their own program, which you might want them to sign in, but you might be better off asking that in their forum, not in the Emirates forum.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
Emirates newbie. Couldn't find a page on their website describing lounge access rules.

Have flown only alliance carriers previously, so it's hard adjust to non-alliance airline.

The question - when flying Emirates Y, only way to access lounge in DXB is to have Skywars status, right? No other airline status works?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by elva
The question - when flying Emirates Y, only way to access lounge in DXB is to have Skywars status, right? No other airline status works?
Nope, Qantas status also works. But rules seem to changing from Oct 1.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by elva
Emirates newbie. Couldn't find a page on their website describing lounge access rules.

Have flown only alliance carriers previously, so it's hard adjust to non-alliance airline.

Correct.

All the Emirates lounges in DXB are restricted to eligible (ie class of travel/Skywards status) Emirates only passengers.

There is only one exception, and it concerns those travelling on flights from Dubai to Australia operated by Qantas, where there is a very specific rule, as follows:

"You can use the Emirates lounges in Dubai when flying with Qantas if you:

are travelling in First Class or Business Class, or
are an Emirates Skywards Platinum, Gold or Silver member, or
are a Qantas Platinum One, Platinum or Gold Frequent Flyer member."

(ps post crossed with jackiedada's)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.