Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about Emirates and the Skywards program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about Emirates you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/Emirates Skywards Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:21 am

On an AS F award, I am flying JFK-DXB-SIN on EK 204 and EK 354.

I arrive in DXB at 7:50AM and depart the following morning at 3:05AM.

During my 19 hour connection:

1) Am I entitled to a hotel? (I think that's part of Dubai Connect?)

2) Am I entitled (or will I in practice receive) a chauffeur on arrival in DXB as well as back to DXB for my second flight?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by thexfactor
On an AS F award, I am flying JFK-DXB-SIN on EK 204 and EK 354.

I arrive in DXB at 7:50AM and depart the following morning at 3:05AM.

During my 19 hour connection:

1) Am I entitled to a hotel? (I think that's part of Dubai Connect?)

2) Am I entitled (or will I in practice receive) a chauffeur on arrival in DXB as well as back to DXB for my second flight?
I seriously doubt there won't be any earlier flights DXB-SIN, so no, definitely no hotel paid by EK

You'll get a drive from DXB to your final destination upon presentation of your boarding pass at the chauffeur counter in DXB (no pre-reservation possible)

If the EK website doesn't let you reserve a ride back, then imho it's not allowed. If it lets you, book it. As easy as that..and taxis aren't really that expensive in DXB
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I seriously doubt there won't be any earlier flights DXB-SIN, so no, definitely no hotel paid by EK

You'll get a drive from DXB to your final destination upon presentation of your boarding pass at the chauffeur counter in DXB (no pre-reservation possible)

If the EK website doesn't let you reserve a ride back, then imho it's not allowed. If it lets you, book it. As easy as that..and taxis aren't really that expensive in DXB
There are earlier flights, but they're all on the 777, and who wants to fly that when you can shower at FL380?

OK, so no hotel.

When you say "final destination," because this is only a connection (<24 hours), my final destination is SIN, not DXB. Will I still be able to grab a car at the chauffeur counter on arrival?

Nope, the EK website only lets me book departing JFK and arriving SIN.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by thexfactor
When you say "final destination," because this is only a connection (<24 hours), my final destination is SIN, not DXB. Will I still be able to grab a car at the chauffeur counter on arrival?

Nope, the EK website only lets me book departing JFK and arriving SIN.
With final destination I meant your final destination in DXB (ie, your hotel, or whatever place you'll be heading)

I'm not ABSOLUTELY sure if you're getting a ride when showing up at the Chauffeur counter in DXB on arrival, but I'd say you've a very good chance to get a ride to your destination, as they only want to see your incoming boarding pass (not sure how exactly they check if you've a connection flight and therefore wouldn't be allowed etc.) - worst case, get a cab, as you'll have to do on the return to the airport, so nothing to lose really.

Enjoy your short stay in DXB ^
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
With final destination I meant your final destination in DXB (ie, your hotel, or whatever place you'll be heading)

I'm not ABSOLUTELY sure if you're getting a ride when showing up at the Chauffeur counter in DXB on arrival, but I'd say you've a very good chance to get a ride to your destination, as they only want to see your incoming boarding pass (not sure how exactly they check if you've a connection flight and therefore wouldn't be allowed etc.) - worst case, get a cab, as you'll have to do on the return to the airport, so nothing to lose really.

Enjoy your short stay in DXB ^
Thanks.

I'm sure others on FT have had the exact chauffeur question; I'm hoping someone can chime in with what's actual practice, even if the T&C may not provide for it on a connection.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada SE, SPG Platinum
Does Emirates not have fully refundable fares? I tried searching a few, however it seems all of them have a cancellation fee.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Chang Hung
Does Emirates not have fully refundable fares? I tried searching a few, however it seems all of them have a cancellation fee.
I just had to cancel my first ever F flight it was fully refunded to me within 10 days.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada SE, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Firemansam
I just had to cancel my first ever F flight it was fully refunded to me within 10 days.
Could you please advise where in the booking process can I tell if a ticket is fully refundable or if there is a fee, thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:49 am

On the Emirates website when you are on the page where it shows what flights are available, under each flight is a currency converter tab plus a fare condition tab, click on the fare conditions and it will tell you what fees the fare has for changes/cancellations etc
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by Chang Hung
Most of the time E,Y,J and F booking class is fully refundable
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:26 am

Is it worth paying £200 more to fly with Emirates rather than Malaysian Air? It's London to New Zealand and then from Bangkok back to London so fairly longhaul flights.

I'm not too worried about flying Malaysian Air despite recent circumstances, but if Emirates is significantly nicer I'd probably rather pay the extra cash!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Bingley
Is it worth paying £200 more to fly with Emirates rather than Malaysian Air? It's London to New Zealand and then from Bangkok back to London so fairly longhaul flights.

I'm not too worried about flying Malaysian Air despite recent circumstances, but if Emirates is significantly nicer I'd probably rather pay the extra cash!
This depends a number of factors, including for example in no particular order:
- How much £200 is worth to you
- Which class of service are you going in
- Frequent flier programme membership
- Which aircraft type you're currently booked on
- Your old itinerary and the new one
- How much you care about the transit experience
- What you look for when you travel

If you could give us some more information our advice will be more useful!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: EK Silver
Greetings All,

I will soon be booking a one-way ticket home from AKL to LHR in F.

As this is my first (and possibly only) time in F, I'd really like to get the best out of it. I will be flying on the A380 for the entire journey.

I appreciate that this question is probably unanswerable, but here goes:

Does anyone know which concourse is the better concourse at Dubai?
Also, is it possible that DXB to LHR flights only leave from a certain concourse?
Or, is it totally random and luck of the draw?

The reason I ask, is that out of Concourse A, B and C, one is much better than the other...I just can't remember which one.

Anyways, I was hoping to book the 'winning' flight itinery so that I ended up transiting via the better Concourse.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
I am sure you will enjoy the flights whichever concourse you end up using. Concourse A is the new one that handles a lot of the A380 flights and my personal favourite, B is the next newest and C is the oldest. A380s can be handled at all concourses and it is a bit random but you are more likely to use A or B or a combination of the two (arrive at one and leave from the other). Before you buy your ticket you should try pricing it as a round trip with First to UK and return Economy at a date a week or so after the trip to UK because sometimes that will be less money than a one way in first. Good luck!

Last edited by mrtdxb; Aug 3, 2014 at 8:45 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: EK Silver
Originally Posted by mrtdxb
I am sure you will enjoy the flights whichever concourse you end up using. Concourse A is the new one that handles a lot of the A380 flights and my personal favourite, B is the next newest and C is the oldest. A380s can be handled at all concourses and it is a bit random but you are more likely to use A or B or a combination of the two (arrive at one and leave from the other. Before you buy your ticket you should try pricing it as a round trip with First to UK and return Economy at a date a week or so after the trip to UK because sometimes that will be less money than a one way in first. Good luck!
Thanks for your prompt and thorough response!

Yes, I'm sure I will enjoy the flights no matter what!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.