Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Earning Frequent Flyer miles/points in Israel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
Print Wikipost

Earning Frequent Flyer miles/points in Israel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cafri
After rechecking:

Leumi Card are going to maintain the existing ratio of 28 Leumi Card points per 1 El-Al point.

The way they are going to implement the 250 NIS to 1 El-Al point is by giving 1 Leumi Card point for every ~8.92 NIS (instead of 12.50 NIS).

So this actually means you can get an improved ratio also when you convert to UA miles (where it would be ~53.57 NIS per 10 UA miles instead of 72.50 NIS per 10 UA miles).
According to Leumi Card updated terms, First and World Signia cardholders get 1 flight point for every 1 NIS in spending: https://www.leumi-card.co.il/he-il/A...ights_2013.pdf

So theoretically that should mean 10 UA miles for every 6NIS (1.6 miles per NIS).

Does anyone have a relevant card to test this out?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Originally Posted by thorthor
According to Leumi Card updated terms, First and World Signia cardholders get 1 flight point for every 1 NIS in spending: https://www.leumi-card.co.il/he-il/A...ights_2013.pdf

So theoretically that should mean 10 UA miles for every 6NIS (1.6 miles per NIS).

Does anyone have a relevant card to test this out?
I'm putting my money on a typo. Should probably be 10 NIS for 1 point.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by FlyingOutTLV
I'm putting my money on a typo. Should probably be 10 NIS for 1 point.
Yet those are the written terms..
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Yet those are the written terms..
The Israeli Contract Law recognise the possibility of a typo (article 16). It's an easy argument in this case as it's obvious the company did not mean to give such a benefit to cardholders (compared to industry standards, other elite cards and the terms of the same cards in last year's contract).

And if you sign the contract knowing about the mistake - you're acting without good faith, which can mean the contract is void.

BTW,

On the cards pages on the LeumiCard website it also says that every 1 NIS will earn 1 "flight point", though it also clearly says that cardholders will be able to accrue LY points at a rate of 250:1 and UA points at a rate of 75:10.
Old May 13, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Do any of you who live and work in Israel (and earn Shekels in an Israeli bank account) still use USA credit cards? If so, how do you manage moving your money around between the countries?

I found that ETrade has an online, fee-free checking account that offers free incoming international wire transfers. You can transfer up to $2000 for only around a $15 fee at the Post Office.

I think it might be worth it to transfer most of my salary to the US and use a US card whenever possible, such as the Citi Prestige which offers a great deal of benefits like free lounges including guests, 4th hotel night free, $250 airfare rebate, etc. Plus points, of course.

Or of course, use a US Amex which offers a 1:1 ratio.

What do you all think?
Old May 13, 2015, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moe8555
Do any of you who live and work in Israel (and earn Shekels in an Israeli bank account) still use USA credit cards? If so, how do you manage moving your money around between the countries?

I found that ETrade has an online, fee-free checking account that offers free incoming international wire transfers. You can transfer up to $2000 for only around a $15 fee at the Post Office.

I think it might be worth it to transfer most of my salary to the US and use a US card whenever possible, such as the Citi Prestige which offers a great deal of benefits like free lounges including guests, 4th hotel night free, $250 airfare rebate, etc. Plus points, of course.

What do you all think?
Not to mention significantly better protection from American credit cards than Israeli credit cards
Old May 26, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: SPG Gold

What do you all think?
The problem is not just the wire transfer fee - it's also the currency conversion costs. IF you get your salary in Shekels as I do, then you need to convert it somehow to USD. At the post office - that means 3% over the Shaar Yatzig. If you send the wire transfer in shekels to eTrade, it will either be rejected or converted to USD at a ridiculous exchange rate, unless you've seen otherwise from etrade?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by nombody
The problem is not just the wire transfer fee - it's also the currency conversion costs. IF you get your salary in Shekels as I do, then you need to convert it somehow to USD. At the post office - that means 3% over the Shaar Yatzig. If you send the wire transfer in shekels to eTrade, it will either be rejected or converted to USD at a ridiculous exchange rate, unless you've seen otherwise from etrade?
You can convert to dollars via a non-touristy change place, which usually offer conversions without commission and only about 1% above rate. Then you can transfer the dollars at the post office without additional fees besides the $15 wire transfer fee.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 1:48 pm

Hey guys, just got to israel from the states and looking into the ccs and ms opportunities here... Any help getting started would be greatly appreciated! May be able to help right back with some US help
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by PutANameToIt
Hey guys, just got to israel from the states and looking into the ccs and ms opportunities here... Any help getting started would be greatly appreciated! May be able to help right back with some US help
Please let us know what your standing is here (I.e. citizen, tourist, student, etc) before we can advise you.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:37 pm

Please let us know what your standing is here (I.e. citizen, tourist, student, etc) before we can advise you.
Thanks for the response. I'm a student here, but plan on being here for a bit of time not just passing through.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it possible to get an external card (כרטיס חוץ בנקאי) in Israel without being a citizen?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Is it possible to get an external card (ëøèéñ çåõ áð÷àé) in Israel without being a citizen?
I have heard of this being possible on the DansDeals forum. Lots of discussion there about this, as there are many yeshiva students that come here for 1-3 years at a time and want to know.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by PutANameToIt
Thanks for the response. I'm a student here, but plan on being here for a bit of time not just passing through.
To be brutally honest with you: if you're not here for good and don't earn in shekels, there isn't much point in trying to get one of the "fancier" Israeli cards. You're better off using a quality American card like Citi Prestige that gets you free lounge access worldwide, etc.

The best El Al cards here are called Fly Card Premium, but they are only available direct through your bank unlike the regular Fly Card which can be issued independently.

The Fly Card Premium gets you perks with El Al and a 190 shekel spend per point earn ratio, but you either need to already have status with El Al or commit to spending 10,000+ shekels a month on the card. The little known fact is that if you can persuade your bank to issue you one and don't meet the 10,000 minimum, you still get to keep the card and good spend ratio however you lose the extra El Al perks.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:47 pm

To be brutally honest with you: if you're not here for good and don't earn in shekels, there isn't much point in trying to get one of the "fancier" Israeli cards. You're better off using a quality American card like Citi Prestige that gets you free lounge access worldwide, etc.

The best El Al cards here are called Fly Card Premium, but they are only available direct through your bank unlike the regular Fly Card which can be issued independently.

The Fly Card Premium gets you perks with El Al and a 190 shekel spend per point earn ratio, but you either need to already have status with El Al or commit to spending 10,000+ shekels a month on the card. The little known fact is that if you can persuade your bank to issue you one and don't meet the 10,000 minimum, you still get to keep the card and good spend ratio however you lose the extra El Al perks.
Wow, thanks for the detailed response! No MS opportunities either for shekel or dollar denominated credit cards? I know the post office will only take cash for MO but what about prepaid cards? Gift cards with cc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.