Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Earning Frequent Flyer miles/points in Israel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
Print Wikipost

Earning Frequent Flyer miles/points in Israel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
What you said does NOT disprove at all what I said
Yes it does because you initially wrote that it would take spending $85,000 on the UA credit card to get a free ticket to Israel, a figure which I proved was grossly erroneous.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
No, I wrote I am NOT taking into account bonus miles, just like I'm NOT taking into account bonus "miles" (points) with the LY card.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
No, I wrote I am NOT taking into account bonus miles, just like I'm NOT taking into account bonus "miles" (points) with the LY card.
Then your methodology is completely flawed because the whole point of these credit cards is to earn points for the most free travel. The ability to earn bonus points or lack thereof (which are plentiful with the UA card) are a significant aspect of these credit cards that needs to be taken into account when comparing which card is more beneficial to earning free travel. The strict comparison you engaged in, which now you claim is void of taking into account bonus miles, fails to give an accurate picture as to which card is more advantageous to have.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:34 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Here's another way to look at this - using what is probably the most lucrative redemption possible (business nyc-tlv) 1 Matmid point = $1
So if you spend 190 NIS to earn one Matmid point you get about 1.8% cash back.

That's not too bad, but most people won't get to redeem at that value. They may redeem a bonus Y ticket where 1 point is worth maybe $0.35 - around 0.6% cash back.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:38 am

Leumi Card Multi Platinum holders can get 1 UA mile for every 7.5 NIS spent (around $2). Far from an amazing ratio but UA miles are much more flexible than LY.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, LY PL, PC Platinum, RCCL Diamond
I am reading the details three times already and of course they are not clear. Called ELAL and they did not know what to answer...
(http://www.elal.co.il/ELAL/Hebrew/Ma...M_Benefits.htm)

The way I read it there are 2 different points:

1. You get 20% extra bonus points so for example if you are PL and fly S to Paris you get 100+50+20=170 -> S class points + 50% for PL + 20% for card
2. If you buy in 19000 NIS on the card you get 100 bonus points and 20 points count for your renewal of your PL status

Is this correct? Do you understand the same?
If indeed this is correct point 1 is worth 50 NIS per month easily.
Am I naive?
Thanks
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Just amazing that they managed to make this so freakin' complex.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I have the same card and also don't pay anything (also Multi Shufersal). Is this a standard thing, getting Matmid points for purchases, or do I need to call and ask?

I wonder - would it also be eligible for other programs, such as UA MP?
After rechecking:

Leumi Card are going to maintain the existing ratio of 28 Leumi Card points per 1 El-Al point.

The way they are going to implement the 250 NIS to 1 El-Al point is by giving 1 Leumi Card point for every ~8.92 NIS (instead of 12.50 NIS).

So this actually means you can get an improved ratio also when you convert to UA miles (where it would be ~53.57 NIS per 10 UA miles instead of 72.50 NIS per 10 UA miles).
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, USairways, BA, United, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Plat , Marriott, Sixt Platinum
El Al credit card promos?

I'm trying to find a credit card that has a sign on bonus that can be used with El Al.

Does El Al belong to any alliances? It appears AA is severing their relationship, wondering if anyone knows if they belong to another alliance / where they will be moving?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You can see a list of all current El Al Matmid airline and credit-card partners on El Al's website. Google "Matmid airline partners."
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by queensgambit
I'm trying to find a credit card that has a sign on bonus that can be used with El Al.

Does El Al belong to any alliances? It appears AA is severing their relationship, wondering if anyone knows if they belong to another alliance / where they will be moving?
El Al was not and is not part of any alliance

For El Al credit card partners, it seems that AMEX is the way to go if you're US-based
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: airberlin gold, club carlson gold, hhonors gold
Originally Posted by cafri
Quote:

I have the same card and also don't pay anything (also Multi Shufersal). Is this a standard thing, getting Matmid points for purchases, or do I need to call and ask?

I wonder - would it also be eligible for other programs, such as UA MP?

After rechecking:

Leumi Card are going to maintain the existing ratio of 28 Leumi Card points per 1 El-Al point.

The way they are going to implement the 250 NIS to 1 El-Al point is by giving 1 Leumi Card point for every ~8.92 NIS (instead of 12.50 NIS).

So this actually means you can get an improved ratio also when you convert to UA miles (where it would be ~53.57 NIS per 10 UA miles instead of 72.50 NIS per 10 UA miles).
interesting.. i convert mine to ua
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:39 pm

Miles & More Cal MC currently offers a 10,000 sign up bonus, available till 15.12

https://www.cal-online.co.il/he-IL/C...esandMore.aspx
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
That's not Matmid
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
A reminder to anyone who has credit card points to convert, as the program changes February 10th and from then converted points are only valid for 3 years, I suggest converting any points you have before that date so they will remain valid indefinitely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.