Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Ben Gurion now charging for (what they call) baggage trolleys

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club

Yes folks. Here it is. Ben Gurion Airport has started to charge for baggage trolleys (what Americans call 'carts').

The good news is that they have new carts, of a slightly different design to the old ones.

[NOTE: It would seem from new information I have received that not all the trolleys are of the new design, which means they are now charging money (10 shekels a time) for a heap of junk!]

The bad news is that they still have no brake, and they are still the crazy design only ever seen in Israel, with only one small wheel at the front. This is a completely ridiculous design, clearly built by someone with no idea of elementary mechanics. As there is only one wheel in the middle of the front of the trolley, all the weight of the suitcases falls on that single point, which is why these wheels wear out so quickly and these trolleys are always so difficult to steer.

I have yet to find any airport anywhere else with such a non-design of trolleys, both the lack of a brake of any sorts and with this 3 (rather than 4) wheel concept. Let alone charging for it!

I suppose it's meant to scream "W E L C O M E T O I S R A E L" at us on arrival.

Last edited by mikebg; Jul 10, 2017 at 2:36 am
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
What a ripoff! 10 shekels for this garbage? Even if I break my back I'm not paying for this. Also, people are lazy - probably a good chance of finding an abandoned one somewhere outside.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
According to the following article, they are actually meant to refund the money when the trolley is returned to a proper stand. The idea being to save on paying people to 'round up' the trolleys:

http://hamodia.com/2016/08/05/end-ro...gage-trolleys/

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the report, but will be there next week so I will be able to report then.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by mikebg
According to the following article, they are actually meant to refund the money when the trolley is returned to a proper stand. The idea being to save on paying people to 'round up' the trolleys:

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the report, but will be there next week so I will be able to report then.
Also claiming that in the Hebrew media: לא החזרתם את עגלת המטען בנתב"ג למקום האיסוף? תחויבו בפיקדון ("Didn't return your luggage cart in TLV airport to the collection area? You'll be charged a deposit" - The Marker, Hebrew)

Will they have easy to find places to return them though? When landing and taking a taxi/train/bus, not really an issue as you can likely return right there. Same when being picked up by a friend. Hope there will be enough places in the garage to return as well.

On the flip side, where do you return when departing? Are you meant to return outside after finishing check-in?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:38 am
Suspended

At least they were smart by making it cashless. Since a CC has to be used and the 10 sheks refunded to that,it will prevent folks from hanging out at BG collecting the carts in order to get the refund.

It might actually help those who rent cars, when returning the car to T3 I highly ever saw a cart, so if they put a return stand in the garage area it should allow carts to be there when returning. Problem will be only Avis and Eldan have returns to T3 so the racks will be full with everyone dropping off a cart and not as many taking one, which will require you to walk back to the term to find a return rack and hopefully no one breaks into your loaded car before you get back

I dont think they will save much $$$ as they may save alittle time due to not having to round up as many carts, they will spend the time moving the carts around to make sure drop off racks have space and pick-up racks are full

I think the refund is just a PR stunt that will go the way of the dodo bird, as they will say since most carts arent returned for a refund we are KOing the refund.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:50 am

I can see a cart return right before you go through the secondary screening. BUT, they are still going to need people to move the carts outside. I left Israel Tuesday evening. I saw the sign at a distance--my cabbie got the cart. There also was low availability of carts. The cabbie commented that the problem had existed the day before too. Now I think we know why.

BTW still better than the $6 CHARGED at JFK and other NYC airports.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awayIgo
BTW still better than the $6 CHARGED at JFK and other NYC airports.
No it isn't. Those carts are decent carts. These are an awful Israeli hack probably made by a guy with connections who has a small metalwork factory. Read my post #1 to get the details.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:44 am

No it isn't. Those carts are decent carts. These are an awful Israeli hack probably made by a guy with connections who has a small metalwork factory. Read my post #1 to get the details.
For what its worth- I think Toronto has the same carts (except with a break attached) that BG has.

Toronto USED to charge for carts up until 3 years ago- and frankly it was just awful and passengers were always unprepared for having the right COINS required to pay for the carts when departing, and arrivals was even worse.

I think this will backfire for BG airport, more so in the June-Sept time frame when university students, birthright trips, etc are traveling, and they may not have a CC or the necessary monies available upon arrival.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:28 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Carts at the Bangkok airport have a single front wheel.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Carts at the Bangkok airport have a single front wheel.
-And work just fine, thank you.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:31 pm

I am well aware of what the Israeli carts look like. And as poorly as their design may be, it is still the only way for me to shlep everything I bring.

Israel, the start up nation, seems to be incapable of making carts of any type. The ones in the supermarket don't wheel either! You fight with them. Yet, when I shop in the US I can actually push an overloaded cart with little to no effort. ( tangental, but related comment )
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by awayIgo
I am well aware of what the Israeli carts look like. And as poorly as their design may be, it is still the only way for me to shlep everything I bring.

Israel, the start up nation, seems to be incapable of making carts of any type. The ones in the supermarket don't wheel either! You fight with them. Yet, when I shop in the US I can actually push an overloaded cart with little to no effort. ( tangental, but related comment )
I take it you dont supermkt shop in NYC.Id say Im very lucky 1- if I can separate 1 cart from the other , they're usually stuck together.2- if I get 1 then most likely the wheels are going in different directions at the same time, most are very lopsided good luck getting them to go straight or turn w/o much effort. Usually at least 1 wheel doesnt turn whatsoever

As bad as the new carts maybe as long as theres no charge if you return the cart,thats OK with me. Alot better then $5-6 fees here in the US which makes me buy cases that I can attach to one another so that I can handle it all w/o being hosed for a cart. On domestic trips I simply walk outside and usually find a cart by the hotel or rental car p/u areas and then go back inside and wait another 15 mins before the bags start coming out anyways
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:25 am

crazy-- I definitely DO supermarket shop in NYC. Considering I live part in NYC and part in Israel--I supermarket shop in both!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
While I hate paying for it, $2.75 is still reasonable compared to the $5-$6 they charge in the US. I need the cart sometimes when I travel with three checked bags and a carry on.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
While I hate paying for it, $2.75 is still reasonable compared to the $5-$6 they charge in the US. I need the cart sometimes when I travel with three checked bags and a carry on.
For now at least its not $2.75 its Free, you just have to return the cart to a cart pen, so it seems. when they stop with the refund who knows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.