Search

El Al checking both passports

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 7:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ditto
While that might be the rule, I was never asked to show any form of identification in the last few years of living in the Netherlands, nor when visiting any other EU country for that matter, so passport always stays in the hotel.

In fact, flying with KLM into Germany I can even leave my passport at home, as it is not required at the airport nor in hotels.
The Dutch have kindly provided information in English for the non-Dutch:

https://www.government.nl/topics/ide...identification

While I can fly into and out of Germany and not show my passport to the airlines and hotels or anyone else on my trips to Germany, Germany does have a compulsory identification rule too. Most of us may never encounter it's enforcement as a visitor, but it still exists there too.

For Italy, the hotels ask me always still for my passport, so even when I could practically fly there without my passport from the Netherlands or Denmark or Sweden, I would have issues on arrival with hotels or even the Italian law enforcement authorities from time to time if I didn't have my passport with me on my trips.

I'm not sure how much all of those involved in asking for multiple identification are aware of the practical necessities or handicaps to traveling with more than one passport, but some are rather clueless about the actual legal regimes in the countries about which they may keep asking when it comes to identification matters. In most cases, the somewhat bizarre outcomes related to identification demands wouldn't occur if not but for ignorance of those asking the questions but relying upon a systemic approach that may be more about form than about substance.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 12, 2016 at 7:55 am
Old May 12, 2016, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Dutch have kindly provided information in English for the non-Dutch:

https://www.government.nl/topics/ide...identification
But that doesn't seem to cover tourists with non-EU/EEA nationality, unless "a valid residence sticker" is somehow the Dutch name for an entry stamp...
Old May 13, 2016, 1:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ditto
But that doesn't seem to cover tourists with non-EU/EEA nationality, unless "a valid residence sticker" is somehow the Dutch name for an entry stamp...
I think that the page is outdated/inaccurate in some way and doesn't cover all such persons of the sort you mention.

A Schengen entry stamp is not a residence sticker. And residency stickers in the EU are largely being phased out and replaced by residence cards.
Old May 15, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Well the USA asks you about other passports when you apply for an ESTA, and Australia asks when you apply for similar entry permit too.

Surely it is a legitimate question. The interesting part is whether "I don't have it with me" is considered a legitimate answer
Old May 15, 2016, 4:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Well the USA asks you about other passports when you apply for an ESTA, and Australia asks when you apply for similar entry permit too.

Surely it is a legitimate question. The interesting part is whether "I don't have it with me" is considered a legitimate answer
The USA never asked me, as an American citizen, if I have another passport.
Old May 15, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I have been asked by the immigration officer at TLV to present my non-Israeli passport when leaving the country. I found the request annoying and even a little worrying. It has been alleged that dual nationals have had their identity stolen by the Mossad for covert operations. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8520227.stm)

Some countries (eg the UK) will allow you to hold two valid passports issued by them (to enable you to travel while the other passport is held by a foreign consulate for a visa, for example.) Presenting the unstamped second passport may at least address intrusive over-inquisitiveness.
Old May 15, 2016, 5:44 am
Suspended

Some countries have their passport control and other officials check for foreign admissibility criteria of even their own citizens (whether or not those citizens are dual citizens) in order to control the traffic between the two countries and stay on or get on the good side for visa waiver allowances of their own citizens or for something else.

Originally Posted by Dovster
The USA never asked me, as an American citizen, if I have another passport.
The US sometimes asks US citizens if they have dual-citizenship and/or a passport from another country. I've observed such questions being asked by CBP employees and others working for the USG, and it has been asked of at least some US citizens and sometimes of non-US citizens -- even beyond the context of applying for a visa/ESTA.

US passport applications are submitted with the following language included unless you strike out part of it.

Originally Posted by Excerpt from within the US State Department's US passport application form
I have not, since acquiring United States citizenship/nationality, been naturalized as a citizen of a foreign state; taken an oath or made an affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state; entered or served in the armed forces of a foreign state; accepted or performed the duties of any office, post, or employment under the government of a foreign state or political subdivision thereof; made a formal renunciation of nationality either in the United States, or before a diplomatic or consular officer of the United States in a foreign state; or been convicted by a court or court martial of competent jurisdiction of committing any act of treason against, or attempting by force to overthrow, or bearing arms against, the United States, or conspiring to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force, the government of the United States.
What do you with your US passport applications when that language is on your form? Ignore it?

Last edited by GUWonder; May 15, 2016 at 5:52 am
Old May 15, 2016, 8:25 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

What do you with your US passport applications when that language is on your form? Ignore it?
Never noticed that. Also, never acquired US citizenship, unless you count being born.
Old May 15, 2016, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Never noticed that. Also, never acquired US citizenship, unless you count being born.
The same is true for me and for my children. We have all applied for new/renewed passports at the US consulates in Tel Aviv and Haifa and never been asked about it, even though my children have Israel listed as their place of birth.
Old May 15, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
The same is true for me and for my children. We have all applied for new/renewed passports at the US consulates in Tel Aviv and Haifa and never been asked about it, even though my children have Israel listed as their place of birth.
IMHO this LY practice has nothing to do with legal or immigration issues; it is a pure intrusive, arbitrary in the name of Security. If there was a "real" requirement they would not refuse to explain it. The fact that they take the passports away for "inspection" is suspicious in itself (maybe photocopying them for future use of the Mossad ). The philosophy is that you are guilty unless you will prove that you are not. Being Jewish helps, and being Jewish and Israeli is even better.
Old May 15, 2016, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Being born a natural born US citizen is counted as acquiring US citizenship at birth.

Given administrative/prosecutorial discretion, whether or not the government chooses to make an issue about such section of the "application" (albeit you can claim that is part of the instructions and not the application) is going to vary -- as it already has in practice.

Well, now we US citizens here all noticed it, right?

It's here: 212239.pdf

Last edited by GUWonder; May 15, 2016 at 9:51 am
Old May 15, 2016, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ophir_mm
IMHO this LY practice has nothing to do with legal or immigration issues; it is a pure intrusive, arbitrary in the name of Security. If there was a "real" requirement they would not refuse to explain it. The fact that they take the passports away for "inspection" is suspicious in itself (maybe photocopying them for future use of the Mossad ). The philosophy is that you are guilty unless you will prove that you are not. Being Jewish helps, and being Jewish and Israeli is even better.
No, they were not photocopied. I could see that much from where I stood.

In fact, I suspect that if the Mossad were to want foreign passports it would photocopy those belonging to those who are not dual citizens. Why set up a link back to Israel?
Old May 15, 2016, 9:56 am
Suspended

No, they were not photocopied. I could see that much from where I stood.

In fact, I suspect that if the Mossad were to want foreign passports it would photocopy those belonging to those who are not dual citizens. Why set up a link back to Israel?
Photographic scans to retain the biodata page are done sometimes. I've even seen ICTS do it to some passports in Europe.

Dual-citizens as marks for intelligence operations, even when those persons are citizens of the same country as the intelligence agency? Has happened before, including by way of the Mossad. Then some will say "do you really think we are that stupid in our intelligence operations that we leave a link back?" There is a reason some say that government intelligence is an oxymoronic phase.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
The US sometimes asks US citizens if they have dual-citizenship and/or a passport from another country. I've observed such questions being asked by CBP employees and others working for the USG, and it has been asked of at least some US citizens and sometimes of non-US citizens -- even beyond the context of applying for a visa/ESTA.
The only time I've ever been asked by US officials if I hold a foreign passport is by the Global Entry interview
Old May 17, 2016, 3:23 am

Some countries have their passport control and other officials check for foreign admissibility criteria of even their own citizens (whether or not those citizens are dual citizens) in order to control the traffic between the two countries and stay on or get on the good side for visa waiver allowances of their own citizens or for something else.

US passport applications are submitted with the following language included unless you strike out part of it.

You cross out the statement on the application form that is not applicable to your situation, attach an explanatory letter (there is a particular phrasing you should use) and a copy of the foreign passport you acquired/restored. You only do this on the first time you renew a US passport after acquiring/restoring another nationality. When renewing a US passport through a consulate abroad they usually know exactly what to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.