Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top Platinum - What to expect

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:16 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Double upgrades

I remember that too - I couldn't buy youth fares, but lowest economy. With GL bonus earned almost enough points for confirmed C upgrades both ways, and then received upgrade to F on space available basis (which was almost always, unless too many friends of the crew were travelling that day).

This anomaly was caused by LY inventing their own FF program, instead of copying someone else's.

In those days TWA competed by offering space available upgrades to their elite's on a first come first served basis - and colleagues would arrive at the airport 6 hours before the flight !

Of course the LY premium hard product has hardly changed since then...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, LY PL, PC Platinum, RCCL Diamond
Quadruple upgrade!!
The rarest of them all (almost as rare as quadruple double in basketball)
A friend of mine flew with me to NYC
He was in row 50 something in Y
I was in F

a day before the flight ELAL called him to say he is promoted to 21H (Y+)
boarding the plane he was upgraded to C
I then asked the parser if by any chance he can sit in the empty seat next to me and they said yes and moved him to F!!

I know the plane was super full and that is the reason for so many upgrades but I am sure this must be record!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
That's incredible!
Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:04 am
Original Poster

After so many of you I thought I will give some feedback after my first return trip to HKG with LY (Connection in BKK on the way back)
So I wasn't upgraded on both flights, just sat in Economy Plus.
The Service manager and F FA came to introduce them self and said I can ask them for whatever I want.
on the way to HKG I received a bag with a few goodies from the Service Manager.
Some nice gesture was on the way back most of the middle seats in Economy plus stayed empty but next to me they sat someone, the manager saw that and moved them to another middle seat (I am not a small guy so that was great of course).
Accessed the King David Lounge going out (Is there a First class section? Didn't have much time so didn't look) in BKK only received access to the Business class lounge, again, didn't have that much time to go ask and check...
Eventually they try nicely on the plan to act differently, more personally which is nice.

Might fly with them again this week to AMS this time with a class that can be upgraded (B/Q) let's see what happens..
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:19 am

Top Platinum Benefits

Am I missing something? Been a top platinum for over six months and have seen no benefit compared to other matmid levels. Especially when compared to global services or concierge key . While the PA, is a nice benefit and has assisted with reservations - Ive been extremely disappointed with ground services at the airport since there doesn’t seem to be any differentiation of service in anyway. (I should mention that my company allows business Class - so upgrades are no factor to me) Which leads me to my question am I missing something?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by ly787
i remember buying $700 youth fare economy tickets to BKK or HKG , using a 300 point voucher to upgrade to Business , and then getting upgraded to First at the airport as a GL
Yes, me too - cheapest available economy tickets - in fact I almost earned enough points each flight to upgrade the next. After the double upgrades stopped, and the aircraft got older, and then they introduced platinum and gave it to all the corporates, ... I switched to Continental

This is because LY has to invent FF programs from scratch, and inevitably doesn't think through all the consequences of their rules.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Yes, me too
This is because LY has to invent FF programs from scratch, and inevitably doesn't think through all the consequences of their rules.
You realise you replied to a 4 year old post right...? ;-)
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:34 am

Ah well, it is all history anyway...
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:51 am

This got reactivated because of my question about TP benefits at the airport. I have not seen anything differentiating as compared to Platinum/ gold - am I missing something ? (Always fly paid Business. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.