Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

10 hour delay - LY Denying Comp

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO 1K-MM

2 passengers flying in paid J, TLV-YYZ on LY....

The flight way delayed 10 hours (from midnight to 10A) necessitating a hotel stay. After being denied any comp or contact info at the airport, we contacted El Al CS, and were denied rights under the Aviation services law, claiming it was "extraordinary circumstances", offered $200 vouchers and for them to pay for the hotel. I emailed someone else at LY and they replied:

The delay of El Al flight LY029 from Tel Aviv on November 11th, 2015 is a direct result of an unexpected flight safety shortcoming malfunction which was discovered. This necessitated replacing an essential part. This part was not available locally and had to be delivered from our hub in Israel. El Al has done everything under our control in order to prevent the cancellation. Since the part could not be found locally, the circumstances are considered extraordinary or "special" according to the Israeli Aviation Service law. Additionally, we tried our outmost to rebook passengers via other airlines based on their booking availability.
confirming it was a mechanical delay and that because they didn't have the part they needed, it was extraordinary.

Is there a good place to file an official complaint with the gov't?

I found a link with a google search here:
http://eng.rotbaumlaw.com/2013/12/flight-delays/
I don't know if they just sue on your behalf or what...
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
2 passengers flying in paid J, TLV-YYZ on LY....

The flight way delayed 10 hours (from midnight to 10A) necessitating a hotel stay. After being denied any comp or contact info at the airport, we contacted El Al CS, and were denied rights under the Aviation services law, claiming it was "extraordinary circumstances", offered $200 vouchers and for them to pay for the hotel. I emailed someone else at LY and they replied:

I found a link with a google search here:
http://eng.rotbaumlaw.com/2013/12/flight-delays/
I don't know if they just sue on your behalf or what...
Here is a link that really outlines the information better- but its from BA
http://www.britishairways.com/cms/gl...aw_Aug2012.pdf

When you emailed them, did you quote the aviation law?

I dont see the harm in contacting them.
For what its worth, my flight last November, YYZ-TLV- it was also delayed and cancelled for the same reason.

The only think i dont understand is that if this flight was from TLV-YYZ- why would they have a delay so long as "this part was not available locally and had to be delivered from our hub in Israel. "- werent you already in Israel?
Either way- they are providing bucketed responses or the plane really really sucks and they really need a part to be replaced so often (once a year).
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I did quote them the aviation law, and in my reply after they admitted it was a MX issue, I included some case law that says that MX issues aren't "extraordinary". They are having HQ look into it... these guys have chutzpah
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:31 pm

In the US you can complain to the FAA.

You can also take them to Small Claims Court. If they don't show up you win automatically.

I did that with an airline who tried to ripp me off with compensation; they lost my suitcase and never found it.The case was settled and they increased the compensation by $600.

However I just noticed this was in Canada?

Maybe they have a similar thing.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:57 am

In Canada, the consumer protection laws in regards to the airline industry are extremely weak.
As the flight segment took place from TLV- YYZ, they passenger would need to lodge the complaint in the country of the originating flight segment.

My main concern is that they seem to be providing the same excuse for the same route ("missing parts").
I would mention that to them that it doesnt seem extraordinary at this point b/c the same issue occurred from YYZ-TLV a year ago, back in November of 2014.

Either they are lying or their planes are on life support.

Last edited by simba8; Jan 3, 2016 at 9:04 am
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by simba8
Either they are lying or their planes are on life support.
Or both @:-)
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Or both @:-)
indeed. It is pretty absurd... but then again, isn't LY a rolling comedy of the absurd?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.