Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Ultra Orthodox Woman to Become El Al Pilot

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald

In The Times of Israel:
In first, haredi woman accepted to El Al’s pilot training program

Israel’s national airline, El Al, accepted a haredi Orthodox woman into its pilot training program for the first time.

Identified in Israeli media only by her first name, Nechama, the new recruit is a mother of three children in her early 30s from a town near Jerusalem, the Channel 10 news site reported this week.

Nechama, who will be El Al’s first female haredi candidate, went to flight school in the United States after attending the Beit Ya’akov seminary. She applied to El Al several years after receiving a pilot’s license and returned regularly to the United States to fly in order to make the flight hour threshold required of candidates for El Al’s training program.

<snip>
Out of curiosity, are there any male haredi El Al pilots?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
AFAIK no religous pilots in LY. I know there is one in ARKIA.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Houminer
There is at least one. I met him on my flight once TLV-EWR, and then he spent Shabbat in my shul.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by Houminer
2 that I know of. One comes for Shabbos meals occasionally
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is she allowed to be alone in the cockpit with a male pilot?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Assuming the cockpit can be accessed by FA's, I don't see why not. Alternatively, her husband can join her as the co-pilot. It'd be another first for LY!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Great news.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Under Jewish law, if there's any type of feed (like a camera) that's accessible from the outside, in theory, there's no issue.

But I don't believe cockpits on LY are accessible by FAs without pilot authorization
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Under Jewish law, if there's any type of feed (like a camera) that's accessible from the outside, in theory, there's no issue.

But I don't believe cockpits on LY are accessible by FAs without pilot authorization
I don't think there is a camera feed from the cockpit to the outside but rather, the other way around. The most sensitive area is the area on the cabin side of the cockpit door which is why that area can be monitored (ie. to see if the person who wants to enter the cockpit is in fact an FA and nobody is near them to jump in).
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:22 am
Suspended

Good question, I will ask her about this in a couple of weeks when Im in Israel for Succos. Yes I know her personally, shes the daughter of a very close and good friend, that I stop by most times that Im over there.

Last edited by craz; Sep 30, 2015 at 8:53 am
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:05 am
Suspended

No issue of yechud whatsoever. Being this is a public BB Im not going to spell out why and maybe reveal some of LYs security policys. But as josh posted above all the cockpits have cameras that covers the whole cockpit, but thats just 1 of numerous reason sthat takes it out from yechud

Leave it to,that she asked her Rav who said its no problem of her flying the planes. Can somone please post a link to her pic, I'll save you some time you wont find any as she told all the different media outlets that she holds its not senius for her pic to be published, with that in mind does anyone think she would put herself in a position of yechud and not get a posek from a rav before entering into the profession if it was OK for her to do so
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by craz
No issue of yechud whatsoever. Being this is a public BB Im not going to spell out why and maybe reveal some of LYs security policys. But as josh posted above all the cockpits have cameras that covers the whole cockpit, but thats just 1 of numerous reason sthat takes it out from yechud

Leave it to,that she asked her Rav who said its no problem of her flying the planes. Can somone please post a link to her pic, I'll save you some time you wont find any as she told all the different media outlets that she holds its not senius for her pic to be published, with that in mind does anyone think she would put herself in a position of yechud and not get a posek from a rav before entering into the profession if it was OK for her to do so
Thank you for the update craz. טרוד במלאכתו is likely the primary היתר, similar to a doctor with a patient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.