Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

LY to freeze further development and reduce operations...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum

According to an internal document leaked to the press at least...

This is due to the dire financial state of the airline and the ongoing sage with the pilots union.

A couple the points discussed:

1. retiring some of the fleet earlier than planned, including one 744 and and four 737s.
2. Any future plans for new long haul aircraft will have to be adjusted/emended (not sure how that fits in with their plans for new aircraft as discussed in the other thread).

I assumes this also means we are unlikely to see any hard product improvements any time soon.

LY employees (especially the pilots) have criticised these plans, claiming they will hurt passengers as well as themselves, and see this as yet another stratigic move within the ongoing negotiations with the union.

http://www.themarker.com/news/aviation/1.2569258
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I wish they'd just go into receivership so that a competent investor group that's actually interested in improving the airline to the extent that it makes a profit and is not an embarrassment to the State of Israel can come in.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by clubman
Any future plans for new long haul aircraft will have to be adjusted/emended (not sure how that fits in with their plans for new aircraft as discussed in the other thread).
When you take into account company inefficiencies, declining market share, company debt (which is staggaring) and lack of true leadership, IMHO they simply cannot afford new a/c even if offered exceptional deals by Boeing and Airbus.

I assumes this also means we are unlikely to see any hard product improvements any time soon.
Not with the current owners/managers.

LY employees (especially the pilots) have criticised these plans, claiming they will hurt passengers as well as themselves, and see this as yet another stratigic move within the ongoing negotiations with the union.
The reason why labor issues cannot be worked out inside the company is because each group is highly entrenched. Rather than coming together as a team for the benefit of the company, each group is veying for a bigger piece of shrinking pie for themselves. The fact that labor and management are unionized under a 1982 contract further hardens their positions as they cannot be easily fired or forced to compromise. They also believe that should the company go bankrupt the government would bail it out (which is something that is dubious) and therefore all the groups have little real incentive to come together for the good of the company. The end result is stagnation.

Originally Posted by entropy
I wish they'd just go into receivership so that a competent investor group that's actually interested in improving the airline to the extent that it makes a profit and is not an embarrassment to the State of Israel can come in.
I agree

The airline could have been sold to a competent investor group years ago, however the current owners have valuated the airline too high and thus nobody who expressed interest in purchasing the airline ever went through.

Also, the fact that management, which largely consists of those held over from the state owned era, are unionized means you cannot simply get rid of them and put competent persons in their place. All of this makes LY a highly risky investment bet as it currently is.

IMHO, what is hurting the company most now are the revisions to Matmid. The situation went from bad to worse as long time high yielding frequent fliers are bolting to Turkish and other competitors. Last summer's war in Gaza also did not help matters much despite the fact that LY posted a profit for Q3 (if it is to be believed).

Last edited by ELY001; Feb 19, 2015 at 12:40 pm
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
What restrictions, if any, would Israel put on foreign ownership of El Al?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
What restrictions, if any, would Israel put on foreign ownership of El Al?
The majority SH has to be an Israeli citizen.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by ELY001
The majority SH has to be an Israeli citizen.
Is there a percentage requirement like the 51% in the EU?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
And yet despite the dire financial state of the airline, they gave out a Passover Haggadah to each passenger on my flight to MXP yesterday. What a waste.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:58 pm

Curious to see how well they did with their q4 results (due any day now).
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by simba8
Curious to see how well they did with their q4 results (due any day now).
They usually post by now but for some reason they aren't
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: airberlin gold, club carlson gold, hhonors gold
Originally Posted by ELY001
a competent investor group years ago, however the current owners have valuated the airline too high and thus nobody who expressed interest in purchasing the airline ever went through.
how much were they asking?
and in your opinion how much do u value it now?
also how big is the debt?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:29 am

This is due to the dire financial state of the airline and the ongoing sage with the pilots union
Now, Israel is truly amazing! Even the pilot union has their own sage!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by turbjuo
how much were they asking?
and in your opinion how much do u value it now?
also how big is the debt?
Those are issues that I will not discuss on a public forum such as this with persons who are unidentified.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.