Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Two detained after dolls encased with bullets, drugs found at Ben-Gurion Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two detained after dolls encased with bullets, drugs found at Ben-Gurion Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

Two detained after dolls encased with bullets, drugs found at Ben-Gurion Airport - JPost

Officers seize bullets and narcotics hidden in toys found in carry-on luggage and suitcase belonging to Israeli man, Uzbek woman flying to Uzbekistan

An Israeli man and Uzbek woman were detained at Ben-Gurion Airport Monday on attempted smuggling charges after security officials found bullets and drugs encased in toys found in their carry-on bag and luggage, respectively, prior to boarding a flight to Uzbekistan.

<snip>

Upon discovering the doll’s contents, the man attempted to flee the scene, but was apprehended by guards within minutes, police said. During questioning he said he was unaware of the doll’s contents, and claimed that he was carrying it as a favor to a female passenger he had never met before who told him she reached the weight limit for her luggage.
I actually believe the guy. Classic Israel has people asking favors from others and people agreeing. Even though those from abroad look at the security risk, Israelis really treat each other as family - both for better and for worse.

But this is crazy nonetheless, and proof that you really shouldn't ever take gifts from people you don't know.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:14 pm

Ben-Gurion Airport has one of, if not, the most thorough security screening.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I actually believe the guy. Classic Israel has people asking favors from others and people agreeing. Even though those from abroad look at the security risk, Israelis really treat each other as family - both for better and for worse.
So, what you are saying is that the "protectzia" culture leads some to engage in criminality (whether it be street criminality or white collar criminality)?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No - this has nothing to do with protectzia or criminality.

Israel is very "familial" - strangers have no problem asking strangers to do favors. Would an American ever ask a stranger to "watch my baby for a second?" Obviously not, but that kind of thing happens in Israel. So people ask for favors (not political protectzia favors; favors like can I borrow something) and people very much oblige like they would for a brother or sister.

So I really believe that random Israeli woman approaches and asks if he can take something, and he thinks, "Of course, no problem. I'll do a small favor for this person." Turns out it was more sinister though (on her part)
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
Thanks for clarifying. This incident just goes to show how good security is at Ben Gurion Airport and why it is often regarded as the safest airport in the world.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:17 am

I do not believe the guy for a moment. Classic security question/warning is
"Did anyone give you or ask you to take anything" Since the dolls were discovered at the xray screening--it means he consciously lied! They also follow this up with, "you know why we are asking" --now I flew out of TLV a few hours after this happened and when she asked me if I know why they are asking I was able to reply, Yup--read the news about the doll/toys!

although it was not and is not a laughing matter!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:20 am

I don't think lying in response to that question really should make you believe that he knew/didn't know what he was getting in to. If he was gullible enough to take the item without realizing, I still don't think he'd tell security what he just did.

I also don't really understand how a smuggling plan by the Uzbek woman could possibly include a "I'm gonna try to give this to some guy to carry-on and hope that I find (a) someone who says yes, (b) someone who says yes and says no to all the security questions, (c) no one who says no and tells security about my suspicious behavior, (d) if the guy takes it and gets caught he won't turn me in" strategy. That seems like an absurd parlay at Ben Gurion Airport.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: SPG Gold
I remember once at the checkin line at JFK to go Israel back in 2009 some israeli religious couple had 5 suitcases and wanted us to checkin together so they wouldnt have to pay for their 5th suitcase (back in the day when you still got 2 free per person). They were trying to convince us just to checkin together but the bags would be in their names, but i wasnt having any of it.

Incidentally, my cousin tells me that once flying back from Luton the head of El Al Security there asked him to take a bag for him as a test of some new security questioners, and he was supposed to answer all the questions badly (i.e., I used Ahmed's luggage packing service, left it in the hotel lobby for a few hours after I checked out from the hotel, etc.). The thing was, my cousin wasnt sure whether this guy was really with El Al Security or not. Because how can you know?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awayIgo
I do not believe the guy for a moment. Classic security question/warning is
"Did anyone give you or ask you to take anything" Since the dolls were discovered at the xray screening--it means he consciously lied! They also follow this up with, "you know why we are asking" --now I flew out of TLV a few hours after this happened and when she asked me if I know why they are asking I was able to reply, Yup--read the news about the doll/toys!

although it was not and is not a laughing matter!
I disagree. As cheesedawg points out, the guy obviously was going to lie. And let's be honest - many of us have taken gifts for friends abroad (whether given to us or purchased by us). How many times do you all respond, "yes, someone gave me something" or, "I have something in here as a gift for someone else."

Originally Posted by cheesedawg
I also don't really understand how a smuggling plan by the Uzbek woman could possibly include a "I'm gonna try to give this to some guy to carry-on and hope that I find (a) someone who says yes, (b) someone who says yes and says no to all the security questions, (c) no one who says no and tells security about my suspicious behavior, (d) if the guy takes it and gets caught he won't turn me in" strategy. That seems like an absurd parlay at Ben Gurion Airport.
^

Originally Posted by nombody
Incidentally, my cousin tells me that once flying back from Luton the head of El Al Security there asked him to take a bag for him as a test of some new security questioners, and he was supposed to answer all the questions badly (i.e., I used Ahmed's luggage packing service, left it in the hotel lobby for a few hours after I checked out from the hotel, etc.). The thing was, my cousin wasnt sure whether this guy was really with El Al Security or not. Because how can you know?
Security badge?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:46 pm

When I take stuff for others--I tell them, and usually immediately indicate it is someone I have known for X number of years! --they ask a few more questions and do not do a visual. ( I guess I fit the profile of an honest person)
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awayIgo
When I take stuff for others--I tell them, and usually immediately indicate it is someone I have known for X number of years! --they ask a few more questions and do not do a visual. ( I guess I fit the profile of an honest person)
You're honest. And you're a rare bird
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:44 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Me too. Always own up.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What happened? Did they arrested? I think Israeli security does have x-ray machine at the ticket counter or inline baggage system. How did bring drugs at airports? No one who notice it.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:57 am

awww thanks---and I'm blushing ( but the red smiley is angry, so no smiley)
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Wow! What happened? Did they arrested? I think Israeli security does have x-ray machine at the ticket counter or inline baggage system. How did bring drugs at airports? No one who notice it.
If it's not a huge amount, I don't think that security is that interested in drugs but rather terrorist explosives.

Not saying that they don't notice, but am sure that they don't want to get too bogged down with drugs.

I am just pontificating, I am in not in that industry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.