Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Is EL AL Combining JFK and CDG Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat

I noticed last night that EL AL had 2 departures close to one another from JFK. First, LY012 departed for CDG and then LY008 departed for TLV. The a/c operating LY012 was 4X-ELA, so it could not have been a cargo flight.

Are loads that low that they are combining JFK and CDG flights or is there another reason for this combination?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
They also seem to have sent 004 to CDG last night.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikebg
They also seem to have sent 004 to CDG last night.
So, are we to assume that this means EL AL no longer exclusively flies non-stop b/w New York and Tel Aviv and that pax should inquire when booking whether flights that were previously non-stop contain a stop over in Europe?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Not necessarily. It could be that the flights were flown back to Europe empty in order to fly more flights back from CDG.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:46 am

These are called positioning flights. Take a look at EL AL departures from Athens on 30th Aug. There is a flight 329 to Paris which leaves Athens at 2200 ant arrives in CDG at 0015 (on 01/08). Nothing to get excited about.

Years ago there used to be an EL AL New York flight which flew from TLV via London Stanstead once a week or so. It actually offered a very good deal for London-New York. We are not talking about this stuff here though.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

These are called positioning flights. Take a look at EL AL departures from Athens on 30th Aug. There is a flight 329 to Paris which leaves Athens at 2200 ant arrives in CDG at 0015 (on 01/08). Nothing to get excited about.
I doubt EL AL is flying empty 744's across the Atlantic. These routings are increasing in number so likely they are combination flights.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: LY, BT
Originally Posted by ELY001
So, are we to assume that this means EL AL no longer exclusively flies non-stop b/w New York and Tel Aviv and that pax should inquire when booking whether flights that were previously non-stop contain a stop over in Europe?
Nope. We are to assume this means business as usual.

Yep.

I doubt EL AL is flying empty 744's across the Atlantic. These routings are increasing in number so likely they are combination flights.
Nope.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elal767
Nope. We are to assume this means business as usual.
That is an erroneous assumption to make given that I heard several of those recent JFK-CDG flights had JFK originating pax on board. It's clear that, in some cases, EL AL is no longer exclusively flying non stop between JFK and TLV.

Do you have any information from a credible source to the contrary proving that EL AL is now flying empty 744's from JFK to CDG as repositioning flights?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:38 am

Do you know for a fact these passengers were booked on LY non-stop because I've heard during the FAA ban to TLV DL were flying TLV bound passengers to CDG so could LY been working with DL during the issue because I know their codeshare and interline were cancelled but AF was not flying to TLV either at that time.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J_Fleish
Do you know for a fact these passengers were booked on LY non-stop because I've heard during the FAA ban to TLV DL were flying TLV bound passengers to CDG so could LY been working with DL during the issue because I know their codeshare and interline were cancelled but AF was not flying to TLV either at that time.
This occurred post FAA ban and since then there have been several and ongoing JFK-CDG routings for LY flights.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:23 am

The EL AL website shows a JFK departure on 4th August of LY014 to Paris. However, this flight does not show on ExpertFlyer, nor can it be booked on the EL AL website. I think one must conclude it is a positioning flight.

Last edited by mikebg; Aug 3, 2014 at 5:41 am
Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

The EL AL website shows a JFK departure on 4th August of LY014 to Paris. However, this flight does not show on ExpertFlyer, nor can it be booked on the EL AL website. I think one must conclude it is a positioning flight.
I don't think we can conclude that given that based on the information I provided in previous posts on this thread.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Can they carry pax on positioning flights?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: LY, BT
based on the information I provided in previous posts on this thread.
You did not provide any information to support your claims.

Last edited by yosithezet; Aug 5, 2014 at 9:14 am Reason: Comments of a personal mature redacted per TOS
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Can they carry pax on positioning flights?
Why not? It seems rather logical if EL AL repositions a 744 from JFK to CDG for an ultimate arrival in TLV that they can carry pax all the way from JFK to TLV on that flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.