Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

EL AL Allows Pax to Cancel or Postpone Bookings for Free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat

As a result of the current security situation, EL AL is allowing ticket holders to either cancel their bookings or postpone them without charge. The article can be found by clicking on this link: http://www.globes.co.il/en/article-e...ngs-1000953000
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Kudos to El Al.
This is one of the reasons why I fly LY to Israel.

Long Live El Al
Am Israel Hai
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by LY777
Long Live El Al
With all due respect to your beloved airline (and I have a lot of respect for the actions they take in these circumstances), ELAL do not deserve to survive under their current condition.

Originally Posted by LY777
Am Israel Hai
Amen!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I'm actually surprised that other airlines aren't offering exception policies
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubman
With all due respect to your beloved airline (and I have a lot of respect for the actions they take in these circumstances), ELAL do not deserve to survive under their current condition.
I strongly disagree with your sentiments. EL AL not only deserves to survive but its survival is of utmost importance to the State of Israel and the Israeli people. What EL AL needs is massive structural, managerial, and owner reforms so that the company can thrive and attain its rightful place in the airline industry.

It is times like these that EL AL's importance come out. As Josh noted, other airlines flying to/from Israel now are not as amenable and gracious about ticket changes as EL AL is. That is because TLV is just one route in their system. It's one of their most profitable routes, but it's just one route in their system so why should they go out of their way for it? For EL AL Israel is it's home base and for many people EL AL is their first real life introduction to Israel.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ELY001
I strongly disagree with your sentiments. EL AL not only deserves to survive but its survival is of utmost importance to the State of Israel and the Israeli people. What EL AL needs is massive structural, managerial, and owner reforms so that the company can thrive and attain its rightful place in the airline industry.
Really? so if you strongly disagree with my sentiment what you are saying in essence is that even if they do not get that massive structural, managerial, and owner reforms (your words) they still deserve to survive...

Well Im sorry but I totally disagree,. They have no right to survive in their current state (if they are reformed that is a very different matter).
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Really? so if you strongly disagree with my sentiment what you are saying in essence is that even if they do not get that massive structural, managerial, and owner reforms (your words) they still deserve to survive...

Well Im sorry but I totally disagree,. They have no right to survive in their current state (if they are reformed that is a very different matter).
Yes, even if EL AL does not get those reforms, I still believe they ought to survive because they are more than just an airline and a symbol of Israel. But, that is another discussion perhaps for another thread.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ELY001
Yes, even if EL AL does not get those reforms, I still believe they ought to survive because they are more than just an airline and a symbol of Israel.
But on whose expense exactly? I'm surprised that with all your talk here you are still unable to take the emotion out of the equation.

It is because of that attitude the organizational culture at LY will never change, and why should it if they know no one is going to shut them down whatever happens?

I used to let the emotional side of things get the better of me as far as my attitude towards our national airline, then I grew up...
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Reports are that operations at TLV are expected to continue as normal tomorrow.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:00 am
Original Poster

But on whose expense exactly? I'm surprised that with all your talk here you are still unable to take the emotion out of the equation.
I'm not speaking from an emotional standpoint. I am speaking from the standpoint of Israel's geo-political situation which necessitates a viable national carrier.

It is because of that attitude the organizational culture at LY will never change, and why should it if they know no one is going to shut them down whatever happens?
How does believing EL AL ought to exist an inhibiting factor to it's corporate culture changing? Also, not to rehash previous threads, but I firmly do not believe the Israeli government will bail out EL AL in its current form.

I used to let the emotional side of things get the better of me as far as my attitude towards our national airline, then I grew up...
Just because you don't like EL AL's corporate culture and/or those who run the company and it's owners should not produce this much negativity towards the company. Heck, my own personal opinion of these individuals, which I have expressed on this forum many times, is not very high. However, EL AL is a national security asset for the State of Israel, and therefore it must exist, plain and simple. It needs to reform and such reform will come from both market forces and perhaps even the government. EL AL financially cannot continue on its current course and change will come whether or not the self interested parties inside the company like it.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most airlines, when they issue an exception policy, they waive any fees AND fare difference. According to LY's Facebook post, they're allowing anyone to cancel/change (even no-refundable tickets), and waiving fees, but NOT waiving fare differences.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
...waiving fees, but NOT waiving fare differences.
Still reasonable though.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Most airlines, when they issue an exception policy, they waive any fees AND fare difference. According to LY's Facebook post, they're allowing anyone to cancel/change (even no-refundable tickets), and waiving fees, but NOT waiving fare differences.
DL is waiving fees and fare differences
Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
UA finally listed "TLV civil unrest," but I'm surprised with their whole listing. They used to allow changes, and for changes outside the "affected slot," fees would be waived but not fare differences. (Fare differences in the affected slow were waived.) Now, they're only allowing changes within 24 hours of the original flight, and they're not waiving fare difference - but this is for all flight disruptions, not just TLV. Strange
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Talking of DL (and slightly OT I know...) but their 1am flight this morning out of TLV had to dump fuel for an hour and a half and return to TLV following a flap problem.

I'm sure they were in no danger at any point, but I'm not sure I would fancy circling for an hour and a half around here under the circumstances right now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.