Community
Wiki Posts
Search

El Al to spin off Matmid Clud

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:19 am
Original Poster

El Al to spin off Matmid Clud

In an article about issuing new branded credit cards in Israel, it is mentioned that LY is working on creating a separate legal entity for its loyalty club. Link in Hebrew:

http://www.passportnews.co.il/Article.aspx?ID=8900

Last edited by eyal; Jun 17, 2014 at 5:27 am
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: *A
Right. It worked so well for AC.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
EL AL signed deal to launch brand credit card

In a related development, a few days ago EL AL signed a deal launching credit cards for frequent travelers. The article can be found by clicking this link: http://jpupdates.com/2014/06/15/jp-t...equent-flyers/

As far as spinning off Matmid goes, lately EL AL seems to be adopting failed ideas of other airlines with the expectation that it will somehow work for them. I suppose soon enough they will know how successful creating an LLC with legacy costs and spinning off their frequent flier program will be.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:18 pm

Well, its probably means that Matmid will make some money from an agreement with the credit card providers/banks- at the same time- continue to devalue whats left of the program by increasing redemption amounts to gigantic proportions.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:46 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
They are trying this based on QANTAS plans i imagine. Recently they grilled someone from QANTAS about how they run their program.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by yosithezet
They are trying this based on QANTAS plans i imagine. Recently they grilled someone from QANTAS about how they run their program.
You think they actually spoke to a succesful airline about how to properly manage something? Yup, you've been out of Israel for quite some time
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
You think they actually spoke to a succesful airline about how to properly manage something? Yup, you've been out of Israel for quite some time
Eavesdropping in the KD lounge while it was happening.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eavesdropping in the KD lounge while it was happening.
I'm not sure what's more surprising. That they really did it, that they did it in the KDL as opposed to a real meeting venue, or that you were in the KDL!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
You think they actually spoke to a succesful airline about how to properly manage something?
If you are referring to QANTAS, they can hardly be called successful. They have been struggling for many years now and Gulf based carriers are invading their home base. In fact, they have many of the same problems EL AL has.

Here's a good recent article about their financial situation: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-2...s-loss/5287188

Interesting how EL AL goes from recycling a proven failed idea from a decade ago (that a legacy carrier can operate profitably an LLC sub brand that retains legacy costs) to trying to imitate ideas from a currently ailing airline.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:27 am

Their FFP is very successful with good partnerships.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
who is they?

I can't speak to QF. but AC/Aeroplan has not been an overall positive for consumers (or frankly, AC itself). It is certainly a good way to earn money, but you don't need to separate the mileage program from the airline to do it. El Al needs to get its basics right before screwing around with financial engineering...
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
who is they?

I can't speak to QF. but AC/Aeroplan has not been an overall positive for consumers (or frankly, AC itself). It is certainly a good way to earn money, but you don't need to separate the mileage program from the airline to do it. El Al needs to get its basics right before screwing around with financial engineering...
Quite right
LY is like a nice high school kid with ADD. They mean well, and jump around when they hear others do nice things, but they don't bother to understand how to do it properly, and quickly forget as they move on to the next project, leaving lots of unfinished business everywhere. And somehow, the pax always suffer
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by entropy
who is they?
Of course QF. I was responding to the preceding post.

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-styl...210-2z4f9.html

Matmid has little to no value, however.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:08 pm

That is true, however I was replying to the general comment made by another poster that QANTAS is a successful airline, which it is not.

According to the below linked article, the only real asset QANTAS has is their FF program which they are deciding whether to spin off in order to inject much needed capital into the company. http://www.couriermail.com.au/busine...-1226802634266

I doubt Matmid is worth much, or anything at all. Certainly selling the program will not inject anywhere near the sort of cash EL AL needs while QANTAS selling off their FF program will inject a lot into that company. Consequently, one must ask whether there is a point at all for EL AL to sell off Matmid if the program itself is worthless?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:17 pm

Yes, I was ignoring that part as the thread is about the FFP. Agreed, pointless to spin out Matmid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.