Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T3 - Why Bother?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I find they vary based on what you're buying. Electronics and wine are never a good deal at TLV.
Actually you can sometimes find some ok deals in electronics compared to prices in Israel.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by clubman
Actually you can sometimes find some ok deals in electronics compared to prices in Israel.
Some electronics, especially smaller stuff (cellphones, cameras, game consoles) are cheaper in the airport than outside (though still more expensive than buying abroad, such as in America or Europe).
Larger stuff, including TVs and sound systems can be more expensive in the airport than in stores in Talpiyot
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
I find the electronics very expensive. A pair of sports headphones I bought in the US for $20 were on sale for $100 at the duty free in TLV.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by economyman
I find the electronics very expensive. A pair of sports headphones I bought in the US for $20 were on sale for $100 at the duty free in TLV.
That's why I never buy electronics there unless it's really large and must be 220V, and is cheaper than outside the airport.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Originally Posted by NYTA
Alitalia is T3 checkin but I have never been bussed back to in front of T1 for them and I fly them a lot.
I flew last Wednesday and we were bussed. Also by the way when we got to Rome but that is practically standard for all Alitalia short and medium haul flights
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by economyman
Compared to america, it will always be much more expensive
But compared to Israel, it will usuaally be cheaper
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
About a year ago I was going to London. My wife wanted a new vacuum cleaner. In the store in Israel it was something like 1500 NIS. At the Duty Free at TLV it was $200. In a high-street retailer in London it was 79 pounds, including 20% VAT. Needless to say I bought it in London and checked the box as my luggage on the return flight.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I do find that Israeli wine is a decent deal, at least for the higher end stuff (castel, yair, margalit), when you do the 4 for 3 deal.

I doubt its a good deal for the good french wines, but those aren't a good deal anyways.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
I do find that Israeli wine is a decent deal, at least for the higher end stuff (castel, yair, margalit), when you do the 4 for 3 deal.

I doubt its a good deal for the good french wines, but those aren't a good deal anyways.
I find the exact opposite. How much do you find Castel wines for, as I tend to find them at around NIS 135-465 (depending on the wine). I have found mid-upper range Israeli wines charged at the USD number they were being charged for in stores (i.e. a NIS 120 wine selling for $120). Those may have been exceptions, but they succeeded in scaring me off from ever buying wine at duty free
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find the exact opposite. How much do you find Castel wines for, as I tend to find them at around NIS 135-465 (depending on the wine). I have found mid-upper range Israeli wines charged at the USD number they were being charged for in stores (i.e. a NIS 120 wine selling for $120). Those may have been exceptions, but they succeeded in scaring me off from ever buying wine at duty free
Margalit (depending on the variety) $45-65, Yatir similar. $45/btl net of the 'deal' isn't bad at all.

Margalit is generally 219++ NIS @ Derech HaYayin. Castel GV is running > 250 .

I don't know about the big wineries. I'm coming next week hopefully will check out a few places up north and hopefully Sea Horse..
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
.I don't know about the big wineries. I'm coming next week hopefully will check out a few places up north and hopefully Sea Horse..
Will you be flying in one of EL AL's 'refurbished' premium cabins or are you taking another airline?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Margalit (depending on the variety) $45-65, Yatir similar. $45/btl net of the 'deal' isn't bad at all.

Margalit is generally 219++ NIS @ Derech HaYayin. Castel GV is running > 250 .

I don't know about the big wineries. I'm coming next week hopefully will check out a few places up north and hopefully Sea Horse..
I'd actually be very interested to price compare, so thanks. Castel Grand Vin is $250 or NIS 250? Sea Horse and Margalit aren't Kosher, correct? Because I only know the differences regarding Kosher wine. A lot more of Israeli boutiques aren't Kosher, though its not only the large wineries that are, so I would be interested in comparing large winery price differences and boutique winery price differences.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will you be flying in one of EL AL's 'refurbished' premium cabins or are you taking another airline?
CO J to TLV
TK J back , burning up those UA miles...
Surprised CO released any I seats on 90, but I saw them last summer and grabbed them.

I'd actually be very interested to price compare, so thanks. Castel Grand Vin is $250 or NIS 250? Sea Horse and Margalit aren't Kosher, correct? Because I only know the differences regarding Kosher wine. A lot more of Israeli boutiques aren't Kosher, though its not only the large wineries that are, so I would be interested in comparing large winery price differences and boutique winery price differences.
Castel is 250 NIS. And neither Sea Horse nor Margalit have (K) interference. Both Flam and Yatir do, however, and their pricing is better with the 'deal' @ DF than you can get in town.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I have to check to see what GV is by the shop near me. I may be confusing with a different Castel wine, but I thought it was 165?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I have to check to see what GV is by the shop near me. I may be confusing with a different Castel wine, but I thought it was 165?
165 = Petit Castel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.