Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

EL AL to launch low-cost flights to Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gordo6
UP - summary of the new offerings

UP will start its offering from 30 March 2014, offering 50 weekly flights to:
  • BUD - starting $69 (promotion price), otherwise from $99; operating 11 weekly.
  • PRG - starting $69 (promotion price), otherwise from $99; operating 11 weekly.
  • LCA - starting $99 (promotion price), otherwise from $139; operating 6 weekly.
  • KBP - starting $99 (promotion price), otherwise from $175; operating 11 weekly.
  • SXF - starting $99 (promotion price), otherwise from $199; operating 11 weekly.
All promotion price valid for departures until 30 June 2014. UP replaces full service LY flights to these destinations.

Fare Structure
UP will offer two kinds of fare:
  • UP basic - a basic ticket (seat only) allowing to add extra payed services, such as - upgrade to Y+/preferred seating, luggage, seating, check-in, etc. Non cancelable and changeable for a fee.
  • UP smart - includes advanced seating, free Y+/preferred seating (based on availability), free check-in and lounge. Fully refundable and changeable. GLs and above get all perks of it even when purchasing a basic fare.

Services offered by UP
  • Luggage - for UP basic customers, each bag up to 20KG costs $20 one way ($40 at the airport). UP smart, GLs, PLs receive one free bag. TPLs receive 2.
  • Lounge - free of charge for UP smart customers, as well as GLs and above. TPLs are the only ones who will be allowed a guest.
  • Advanced seating - for the charge of $10 one way ($50 for preferred seating or $80 for Y+). Smart passengers and GLs and above get all for free, SLs get regular advanced seating for free.
  • Check in - free at all times for smart passengers and GLs and above. Otherwise it costs $10 to check in at the airport (kiosk checkin is free of charge). Online checkin will be allowed 24 to 4 hours before the flights, and seat assignment will only be given at the gate, unless advanced seating was done. When checking in at the counter one can select seats free of change.
  • Y+ - includes extra 4" pitch (34" vs 30"), pillow, blanket, headphones, food, drinks and amenity kit. Only those seated in Y+ are eligible for this service, and as a result, smart passengers (as well as GLs and above) who won't seat there won't receive these services. 36 Y+ and 144 Y seats will be offered onboard every B738s in UPs service.

Most info taken from: http://www.elal.co.il/ELAL/Hebrew/Ab..._UP_261113.htm. If anyone has anything to add - please feel free to do so.
Print Wikipost

EL AL to launch low-cost flights to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:18 am

Programs: El Al Matmid
Originally Posted by gordo6

BTW, in the hebrew site, when trying to purchase tickets, during the "loading" screen it also shows the following note:

לתשומת ליבך, החל מה-30.3.14 הטיסות לברלין, בודפשט, קייב, פראג ולרנקה מופעלות כטיסות UP .לקבלת שירותי UP נוספים כגון הושבה, כבודה ובדיקת זכאות יש לפנות למוקד השירות בטלפון 03-9771060 או 5666*
Here is the message:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx8...it?usp=sharing
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Underpriced?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Press release (in Hebrew)

Status passengers will get free luggage allowance.

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4458077,00.html
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
So unless it's a typo by Ynet, PRG and BUD to start at $69 yet LCA (a 40 minute flight) $99?

Two types of fares Basic and Smart, with the latter offering KD access as well as a free case, seat choice, full refund etc...

Also, as much as I would like to give them credit for offering proper low prices, I can't but wonder whether this is all a big con when flights to LCA currently can be had for around $90 each way...

Last edited by clubman; Nov 26, 2013 at 3:26 am
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:30 am

Programs: BA,LH,LY,OK
To PRG and BUD they will or currently have real competition (OK,W6)....that's probably the reason for the lower prices

flight's to LCA from what i have seen in the past are not so low as you would expect with Cyprus air or IZ....so LY (or...UP) is letting itself publish higher prices...
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A465 Safari/9537.53)

Hopefully they will be prices per sector (one ways) rather than return.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Smart fares seem to offer quite a nice bundle for a supposedly low-cost service
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well yes, except we have no idea what this "smart" fares will be prices at...
Old Nov 26, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
As per Israel Hayom:
for flights after 30 June 2014, for which the 69/99 dollar special price tag is not valid, the pricing will start from:

PRG, BUD - $99
LCA - $139
KBP - $175
SXF - $199

Not that cheap, especially for LCA, KBP, SXF... LCA is even kinda expensive.

They also say that these prices are valid for ex-TLV flights, the price on the other direction is different and based on local taxes.

Source: http://www.israelhayom.co.il/article/136083
Old Nov 26, 2013, 7:34 am

BTW, I'm surprised that VCE wasn't included as one of the initial destinations. With the low prices they launched the route with, and it being mostly a touristic destination, it makes perfect sense to make it an UP route. Maybe that way they could have even loaded greater summer frequency than only 2 weekly (3 weekly during July & August) - such a frequency also means it is not good enough for business travelers and makes more sense for UP targeted market - tourist and budget.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gordo6
LCA is even kinda expensive.
It is.

Probably due to luck of much competition on the route, but it's pretty infuriating that the package it as "low cost" yet it's actually more expensive than the full service prices they are currently offering!

Makes me want to fly CY (while they're still around that is...).
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by clubman
Probably due to luck of much competition on the route, but it's pretty infuriating that the package it as "low cost" yet it's actually more expensive than the full service prices they are currently offering!

Makes me want to fly CY (while they're still around that is...).
Indeed. I remember that I used CY in this route for $150 round trip a few years ago... Now it's $280, low-cost.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:51 am

See summary of the new offerings in the wikipost. Feel free to add more info if you wish.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
I Wonder what the livery will look like.
Which 738s will they use?
Is that the end of Sun D'Or?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by LY777
I Wonder what the livery will look like.
Which 738s will they use?
Is that the end of Sun D'Or?
You can see the livery in the following article:
http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4458077,00.html

In which Shkedi is quoted saying that sundor will shrink its operations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.