Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

LY CEO: Can't Join Alliance Because We're Jewish

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LY CEO: Can't Join Alliance Because We're Jewish

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Not everything on FT is an argument

Exactly

The semantics are important. A bilateral partnership is a partnership that can always just end. It's only between 2 airlines, and LY is then forced to make lots of relationships. An alliance makes LY a part of a group automatically
Alliances include "bilateral partnerships". Think about some of the car company alliances -- bilateral partnerships are a subset of alliances in that industry too. Think about KLM and Northwest from last decade. Bilateral partnerships may widen into a bigger alliance than a bilateral partnership but LY hasn't done much of anything in deepening relationships so as to get reciprocal benefit arrangements when it comes to loyalty program elites and elite benefits for partner-network-wide benefits even on a bilateral alliance basis.

I still don't get why non-alliance members in any of the big three global airline alliances would care about the relationship between LY's home state or the home state's national religion and others when there is no clarity that LY's participation in any of the big 3 global airline alliances necessarily comes with any negative retaliation from any state that already has an airline in one of the Big 3.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 8, 2012 at 9:58 pm
Old Apr 8, 2012, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I think what LY and Alaskan have are what most of would call bilateral partnerships rather than an alliance.
I was referring more so to AS-DL and AS-AA kind of arrangements than AS-LY.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Alliances include "bilateral partnerships". Think about some of the car company alliances -- bilateral partnerships are a subset of alliances in that industry too. Think about KLM and Northwest from last decade. Bilateral partnerships may widen into a bigger alliance than a bilateral partnership but LY hasn't done much of anything in deepening relationships so as to get reciprocal benefit arrangements when it comes to loyalty program elites and elite benefits for partner-network-wide benefits even on a bilateral alliance basis.
That might be, but at the end of the day, an alliance is clearly better.

I still don't get why non-alliance members in any of the big three global airline alliances would care about the relationship between LY's home state or the home state's national religion any others when there is no clarity that LY's participation in any of the big 3 global airline alliances necessarily comes with any negative retaliation from any state that already has an airline in one of the Big 3.
Huh?

I was referring more so to AS-DL and AS-AA kind of arrangements than AS-LY.
yosithezet wasn't referring to the AS/LY relationship - he was referring to AS's relationships in general and LY's relationships in general. AS and LY have no relationship with each other.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
The semantics are important. A bilateral partnership is a partnership that can always just end. It's only between 2 airlines, and LY is then forced to make lots of relationships. An alliance makes LY a part of a group automatically
The term alliance has been used in many instances to describe the relationship between just two airlines. There is no "written in stone" definition that dictates it only be used when referring to the big three.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I think what LY and Alaskan have are what most of would call bilateral partnerships rather than an alliance.
Yes, rather like a marriage. After all both are likely to end up in a בית דין.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: *A GOLD, EL AL PLATINUM, ONEWORLD*SAPPHIRE, ACCOR CLUB PLATINUM, Human Race Platinum for life
Originally Posted by 45128
Yes, rather like a marriage. After all both are likely to end up in a בית דין.
ROFL, and if they up divorcing, the כתובה also requires a hefty exit fee.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:09 am
Suspended

Can you get FF points for all those appearances before the בית דין?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 45128
Can you get FF points for all those appearances before the בית דין?
To those wondering, בית דין. pronounced beit din, is a court of Jewish law.
כתובה, pronounced "ketubah", is a Jewish marriage contract.

Last edited by joshwex90; Apr 9, 2012 at 11:32 am
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:12 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
כתובה, pronounced "ketubah", is a Jewish bill of divorce.
The Ketubah is the Jewish marriage contract. The Jewish bill of divorce is a "Get."
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
The Ketubah is the Jewish marriage contract. The Jewish bill of divorce is a "Get."
We were talking about divorce as I was typing that, so I screwed that up. Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2012, 3:18 am

El Al would make a great member of a 4th alliance. It will allow a lot of growth.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Shimon
El Al would make a great member of a 4th alliance. It will allow a lot of growth.
Unless you count the Virgin group, there's simply not enough quality carriers to form another alliance, especially with so much consolidation going on.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Unless you count the Virgin group, there's simply not enough quality carriers to form another alliance, especially with so much consolidation going on.
The various Virgin branded airlines and one or two of the bigger long-haul-flying Middle East airlines could pull off another major multi-airline global alliance with a route network covering at least four continents. Otherwise there is always Ryanair and Southwest, but they don't seem like the kind to want to engage in such entanglements.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:03 am

el al

shkadi should listen to the song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVBvy2cc0Io
without flying on 7 days a week it wont get el al near an alliance.
elal needs to focus on making a profit now and not on crying about lcc and alliances.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:08 am

... and one or two of the bigger long-haul-flying Middle East airlines...
That really boils down to EY and EK. If for some reason both of them changed their strategy and decided to join an alliance, I doubt both would join the "One-Virgin" alliance.

Otherwise there is always Ryanair and Southwest, but they don't seem like the kind to want to engage in such entanglements.
I was going to mention some sort of LCC alliance, but the trouble with that is the lack of any trans-oceanic LCC carrier to link the various networks. WN and FR can partner all they want, but they can't truly codeshare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.