Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I see your gas receipt?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
What if I get a receipt, but don't fill it all the way, and just pee in the gas tank? Do you think it would work?
Please do. Have a number for a tow truck handy to tow you the rest of the way to the rental return lot, since the engine will most likely stall due to water in the fuel.

Sure, there are ways that you can still cheat the system with the receipt requirement. But the vast majority of people--those who might have just driven 40 miles without filling with gas and are hoping they won't get caught or who might have filled up 30 miles away before (maybe more out of ignorance than out of willful arrogance)--will just comply with the rules, which makes it better for those of us who like to get cars with full tanks.
Old May 21, 2012, 6:09 am
Suspended

Now you're proving my point. There IS no way to really know. In fact, you can stop by any gas station within so many miles and just find a receipt, they hang off the pumps and many times people don't even take them. So all this policy does...is annoy the customer. That is my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Can I see your gas receipt?

I've had many problems with Payless too
Seen people have problems with Advantage at ATL too ( me none)
Enterprise yes painfully slow
Thirfty/Dollar never a problem and they don't mess with the car classifications
At ATL. A compact was a New ford focus or a Kia soul.
Old May 24, 2012, 1:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The amount of time posting in this thread complaining about this policy far outstrips the amount of time it takes to print the receipt, stick it in your pocket/wallet and produce it upon request
Old May 24, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Originally Posted by Tony10s
I've had many problems with Payless too
Seen people have problems with Advantage at ATL too ( me none)
Enterprise yes painfully slow
Thirfty/Dollar never a problem and they don't mess with the car classifications
At ATL. A compact was a New ford focus or a Kia soul.
Old May 24, 2012, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
The amount of time posting in this thread complaining about this policy far outstrips the amount of time it takes to print the receipt, stick it in your pocket/wallet and produce it upon request
So in other words, your advice is, "Shut up and comply." Sorry but for me that dog won't hunt.

From your observation, it seems perfectly clear that customers and potential customers dislike the current policy very, very much. It is a stupid policy, and bad for business overall. Idiot administrators lose customers over stupid things just like this. The consumer is the ultimate judge.

Take another look at the amount of time posting in this thread, complaining about this policy, and then generate a constructive hypothesis about what the policy will ultimately achieve.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I agree Dollar has cracked down recently. When I picked up a car Monday at PHX the yellow flyer was attached to the contract. And yes the clerk asked to see and then actually looked at my receipt when I returned the car today. It's not a horrible problem for me except that I don't have to turn in receipts under $25 with my expense reports.

Old May 25, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
So in other words, your advice is, "Shut up and comply." Sorry but for me that dog won't hunt.

From your observation, it seems perfectly clear that customers and potential customers dislike the current policy very, very much. It is a stupid policy, and bad for business overall. Idiot administrators lose customers over stupid things just like this. The consumer is the ultimate judge.

Take another look at the amount of time posting in this thread, complaining about this policy, and then generate a constructive hypothesis about what the policy will ultimately achieve.
Oh I doubt Dollar would weep salt tears over losing a customer this upset over something as simple as pocketing a receipt. It's really not that difficult. I'm a Dollar customer and I don't dislike the current policy at all.

Not only that, I'm an independent rental car company owner myself and the amount of lies I run into over the gas is astonishing. A lot of new model cars still show the needle being on F after as much as 40 miles but the needle will quickly drop down a level for the next customer who is understandably upset. There's really no reason to not print the receipt and bring it with you.
Old May 25, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
One scam I saw was a guy returning in front of me apparently filled up the gas to the "F" line and had a reciept but the check in agent insisted on trying to keep filling it up with gas (which took long)... The agent charged the customer for gas and the customer just walked away. and you wonder why companies are asking for proof and making requirements
Old May 25, 2012, 7:03 pm
Suspended

It's just a dumb policy, no matter how hard some try to defend it.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: Priority Club, Eurobonus, Hertz Gold, Dollar Express, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat.
In the end...we all have to remember not everyone is going to have the same opinion. Like with most things in life heh.

My dh and only rent when going on holiday so we have hires for atleast 1-3 weeks so the pre-pay fuel option is what we go for. It's less stress and not having issues like remembering the gas receipt is one less thing we have to worry about!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:40 am

I rent from Dollar exclusively at LAS. Upon returning the vehicle, sometimes the attendant asks for the receipt, sometimes they don't. Either way, I have the receipt ready in my Dollar documents just in case.

While the policy seems "stupid" to some and a hassle to others, it is Dollar's policy. And if you choose that company to rent a vehicle from, you must adhere to their policies.

The beauty of all this is, there are many companies to choose from. Choose one that you like with the least amount of hassle during your vacations.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:32 am
Suspended

It indicates that you may be asked to provide this in your rental agreement, so if you read it you should not have been surprised.

And not just at Dollar...all of them at certain airports like DEN.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Why the obsession with contracts and policies? People sign a ton of things everyday without reading them. There are also many policies and rules that defy common sense. Give the OP a break.
No, when a written contract is presented a responsible adult will read it. A foolish one will not. Either way, it's the customer's responsibility to agree or not agree.

They cannot choose to be irresponsible and then blame the other party for surprising them.

They had all the information available. They had full disclosure. To complain about ignorance after the fact is just stupid.

Grown ups read whatever contract they get involved in. Period.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by pinworm
No, when a written contract is presented a responsible adult will read it. A foolish one will not. Either way, it's the customer's responsibility to agree or not agree.

They cannot choose to be irresponsible and then blame the other party for surprising them.

They had all the information available. They had full disclosure. To complain about ignorance after the fact is just stupid.

Grown ups read whatever contract they get involved in. Period.
I often find myself at odds with your posts, but I fully agree with this, it's insightful and true and rare to see people taking this kind of responsibility anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.