Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car sizes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Car sizes

A problem common among many companies. When we rented a "full size" car from Dollar at ONT, our choices were a Chevy Malibu and a Nissan Altima (and, perhaps, a behemoth Lincoln Town Car, parked in the same area from which we were told we could choose a car). The Malibu and Impala, both from Chevy, are both considered full size, but they are not the same size. The Malibu should be considered a mid-size at best, but I have seen it included as full-size at a few companies. The Altima wasn't much bigger, and was basic in terms of amenities, but it did the job for us in this particular case.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
It depends on the location. Usually the Malibu can be swapped out for both a Fullsize and a Midsize whenever they run out of one car class. Sometimes it depends on the location & person in charge (manager). Its like the Corolla, its considered a midsize at Hertz but its a Compact at Dollar, Thrifty. The Corolla is in fact a Compact BTW.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The Malibu is certainly not a full size and should not be considered as such (I seem to get that as a Standard a lot) but the Altima is close enough to be a full size. Plus, as you said it has a lot of features. During my time at Enterprise that car was our most sought after Full Size and I don't recall people ever complaining about it as a choice.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by CMK10
The Malibu is certainly not a full size and should not be considered as such (I seem to get that as a Standard a lot) but the Altima is close enough to be a full size. Plus, as you said it has a lot of features. During my time at Enterprise that car was our most sought after Full Size and I don't recall people ever complaining about it as a choice.
Unfortunately, just about every rental company now considers the Malibu a fullsize.

I'm not a fan of the headroom in that vehicle--I'm only about 6', but my head literally touches the roof and I can't look straight out at eye level, even with the seat as low as it can go. Otherwise, it seems like a well-designed, solid car--just not a fullsize.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jackal
Unfortunately, just about every rental company now considers the Malibu a fullsize.

I'm not a fan of the headroom in that vehicle--I'm only about 6', but my head literally touches the roof and I can't look straight out at eye level, even with the seat as low as it can go. Otherwise, it seems like a well-designed, solid car--just not a fullsize.
Gah that's absurd. How can you call it a Full Size when Chevy clearly has a larger vehicle (the Imapal) which every rental fleet in the US has?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
Gah that's absurd. How can you call it a Full Size when Chevy clearly has a larger vehicle (the Imapal) which every rental fleet in the US has?
Unfortunately, its the location/station. With the Malibu I have seen it used as both a Fullsize and a Midsize, sometimes even on the same day. The problem is that most people either don't know any better or they don't care which is why it ends up being like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.