Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Traveling With a personal Oxygen Tank

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

My mother has a friend who would like to visit in the spring. However, she requires oxygen at all times.

What kinds of issues will she face with the TSA and does each airline have it's own policy regarding her bringing the tank onboard the plane?

Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:20 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
She can not bring her personal oxygen tank onboard.

Most airlines offer a medical oxygen service for a fee. The airline will provide the oxygen on the airplane but your mother will have to arrange for oxygen to be available at the destination. Her current medical supply providor should be able to help her with the arrangements.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:23 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Find out on which airline your mother will be a passenger for availability and other details regarding medical oxygen aboard their aircraft. Then, post to the appropriate FlyerTalk airline forum to discuss this topic, and consult the airline directly as well.

The Everything You Want to Know About Medical Oxygen on UA Planes thread might be a good place to start researching for answers.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. At least now I know where to start.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:49 pm

confirm your need

NOTaFF,

if you are planning to use oxy in air provided by the airline, please make sure that your need/request is properly communicated (directly with airline, NOT with travel agent) and documented (in the airline reservation system)

please call the airline 24 hrs before departure and confirm that they know and understand what your needs will be once on plane

(if possible, make sure to get names of folks you talk to)

< i was assisting a patient who developed breathing difficulty while in air - when i asked for oxy, we discovered that one of the tank's valve was stuck and could not be turned...and the other tank was almost empty as shown on the indicator !>
Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Disability Travel Forum .
Thanks..
Obscure2K
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Likewise, confirm and re-confirm that oxygen will be available, even if you think it has been ordered. My brother made the arrangements with the airline but apparently they contacted his doctor to confirm. The doctor's office did not FAX back the order to the airline and the oxygen was cancelled - without notifying my brother. He arrived at the airport thinking it was all laid on to find nothing and it was too late to correct the deficiency.

Check and check again.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
I would look at the option of hiring (or purchasing) a portable oxygen concentrator - this would meet the need on the flight and at destination.

A POC can be used on most airlines (but you need to check as not all airlines accept all the POCs - eg United does not accept POCs yet).

All the main airline websites have the information on what can be used and how to organise the approval for the friend flying.

There are 5 different models that are approved - all provide pulse dose oxygen, but only the Sequal Elipse can provide continuous oxygen.

Hire rates I have seen vary between $195 to $395 per week.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 6:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
American Airlines list their requirements on this page, and specifically therapeutic oxygen here.

They will require advance notification (minimum of two days for domestic travel, three days for international,) a medical certificate and $100 per segment to provide (tanked) oxygen for a passenger needing it. A hire rate of $195 a week would pay for itself, given a round trip with no intermediate stops would cost $200 in airline-provided oxygen, and would provide peace of mind in case the airline flubs the request (not to mention, it is much more a priority and interest of the passenger than of the airline.)

AA also do allow oxygen concentrators:

"Portable Oxygen Concentrators
Customers needing medical oxygen can travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection using approved portable oxygen concentrator (POC) during all phases of flight, provided the conditions listed below (under "Travel Requirements and Restrictions") are met.

Approved Portable Oxygen Concentrators (POCs)
Only the following POCs are allowed for use onboard our aircraft:

* Inogen One
* AirSep Lifestyle displaying an RTCA sticker
* AirSep FreeStyle
* SeQual Technologies Eclipse
* Respironics Inc. EverGo

Note: FAA Regulations forbid the carriage of other personal oxygen units including units which contain compressed or liquid oxygen. Compressed and liquid oxygen are classified Hazardous Materials."

Note that arranging for oxygen provision in flight with an airline does not have anything to do with provision of oxygen on the ground (e.g. en route to / from flights.) I believe the best route is to have a companion accompanying the passenger to the airport (who can recover the oxygen unit and keep it until the passenger's return) and have the passenger met by someone essle with another portable oxygen system, if we are still discussing oxygen tanks per se and not considering the use of a POC / Portable Oxygen Concentrator.

Attempting to check in a gas (including scuba or oxygen) tank of gas that has not been emptied and have the valve removed with an airline will not fly well these days.

(Sometimes, I must confess, I've had my own issues with O2 - as a trained oxygen provider, I have occasionally encountered bogus requirements for medical certificates, etc. from those selling medical oxygen. )
Old Jan 3, 2009, 6:46 am

Programs: AA, Skymiles, OnePass
Before she died last year mom traveled on AA with their oxygen and her Respironics EverGo several times, and had generally good experiences.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
If using a POC, don't forget you need to take into account the flight time (and delays) and any need on ground and have enough batteries available.

I guess some people need oxygen 24hours a day, but some like my partner are on 16 hours a day recommended and in fact can manage without it for lengthy periods if little physical exertion.

(BTW for internal flights in New Zealand passengers need to organise their own oxygen. One option is to 'rent' a cylinder from a registered supplier or use POC).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.